General unwellness

Hi guys, I need to pick your brains please.
I had my stroke seven weeks ago. Apart from the obvious, joint pain, sleeplessness, week arm and leg, I also have the feeling of general unwellness. It’s hard to describe. I just don’t feel well. My arms and legs feel like ton weights, I can hardly put one foot infront of the other one times and I feel drained. Another thing I notice is my lack of interest. I have this " don’t care" attitude ( so not me) and everything is an effort.
Sounds familiar?? If so, do share your thoughts .
Thanks in advance PL x

2 Likes

Hi Pisceslady2023–I have had the same feelings. It wanes over time. But, I still feel that way sometimes, and it’s been 5 years since my stroke. I just try to do the things I usually do and push all that to the back of my awareness when I can. When I can’t, I just have to rest. I think doing too much makes it worse. So, I have to work on pacing myself. The “don’t care” attitude I think comes from being too tired to " do" things. Like Loraine says, find a " thing" that gives you purpose and pleasure. I have taken up knitting, but not just knitting(that would seem pointless to me). I knit woolen caps and donate them to our sailors in the military. (My church handles all the problem of delivery.) There are a lot of things like that that can be done. So, when I’m really too tired to do much else, I pick up my knitting and try to visualisize the smile on some homesick, lonely sailor’s face when he holds something in his hands and wears that someone made with their own hands for him, and it’s an original. :heart:Jeanne

6 Likes

Thank you, Loraine. :heart:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your kind words. I do colour and find it helpful as I’m left handed. It’s good therapy. I hadn’t thought of painting by numbers. Something to think about.
Many thanks PL x

1 Like

What a great idea. I learned to knit as a girl so more than capable.
It’s good to know it’s not just me although I’m sorry you have to go there too
Take care z

1 Like

I agree with @Loshy and @axnr911, It’s all perfectly normal for you in this early stage of recovery…right down to it feeling like you’ve heavy lead boots on your feet. You’ve basically got the engineers and electricians in your brain doing a shed load of rewiring and rerouting neurons. Normal service will resume once work is complete :wink: Hopefully that should improve over the next 6mths. But you know what it’s like, the completion date’s always getting delayed/extended :laughing:

4 Likes

@Mahoney is right about speaking with your GP. I just remembered, around the same time as you, when I was feeling that way, my gp took full bloods from me in relation to another matter, to rule things out. And as it turned out I was very love in Folic Acid. He put me on a high dose for 2wks and told me to continue with a daily of the over the counter strength after that. Now that did seem to pick me up and things started feeling so much better after that…even the lead boots effect was gone. Everyone is different but it could be you are lacking in some nutrient or other. So it might be worth a visit to the gp just for that.

2 Likes

@Pisceslady2023 everything you describe sounds a lot like the fatigue I suffer. 7 weeks is so early in stroke recovery terms. Listen to your body & rest when it tells you you need to. I spent a lot of time in the first few months resting as i was too shattered to do anything else.

A hobby is a good thing to do & will help with any low mood you might be experiencing. I took up colouring which i also used as therapy for my affected arm. Took me ages to colour anything but i enjoyed it & it did help me get use of my arm back.

Sending my best wishes

Ann

2 Likes

That’s so true and made me laugh.
Thanks for the input

1 Like

Being new to strokes it can be distressing enough, so you’ve got to get your laughs wherever you can. Laughter is the best medicine as the saying goes. :wink: :smile:

1 Like

@Pisceslady2023 oh yes this is normal and I still have, after a year, days that I feel the same as you. I try to keep my mind off the big ME and seek other things to occupy my mind. At first I used to turn down visits from friends and going out to socialize, but good friends are a GodSend. I do more reading now and watching documentaries on TV,
try new exercise routines, paint, play piano (clumsily); in other words, look outward instead of inward. I find youtube a great place to occupy my mind on many different subjects and also this fabulous forum.
I think the “lack of interest” is a wee bit of depression and this can come and go.
Of course you also need to go "inward’ at times for self-reflection meditation or prayer, perhaps mindfulness.
All the best to you.

2 Likes

Hi Pisceslady2023, I agree with a lot of the other comments on here. Try to find yourself a hobby and focus on that, it really does help. I had my stroke nearly 5 years ago, I now paint by numbers (not very well) and read. Although I tire very easily it gives me purpose, fills my time and generally gives me a sense of normality.
I wish you well in your recovery.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your input.
I have to say this forum is amazing as are it’s people.
Just knowing you’re all out there is amazing. Huge thanks

3 Likes

Have you seen the amazingly good painting by numbers pictures that @Loshy she does ? She posted some photos recently :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No I haven’t. Where might I find them?

1 Like

I can’t actually find them! :frowning: Despite 10 minutes of searching for “painting” and “by numbers” and “paint” and all sorts!!

maybe the Lorraine @loshy can tell us.?

2 Likes

That’s the post I was looking for :slight_smile:

Strange thing is that search didn’t find it and I searched for “painting”

Search doesn’t just look at headings by default
C’est la vie :slight_smile:

Do I remember one of a dog and even more left field an elephant or a donkey or camel or giraffe or something?

1 Like

Wow, they are great wish mine were as good.
My accuracy isnt great and my eyes get very tired but I find doing them theraputic and rewarding. Well done you!

2 Likes