General advice wanted for family of new stroke victim

Hello. My 80 year old mum had a massive stroke 4 months ago. She has pretty much lost use of right side, and has apraxia. She is able to eat, and is starting to speak small sentences. She was discharged from hospital a couple of weeks ago. My 81 year old father is looking after her. He gets confused easily, and is reluctant to ask too many questions. We have had precious little advice. She has a care package of 3 carers a day. She no longer has any physio, or speech / occupational therapy.
I’d just like to know what support (including financial) we are entitled to.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the prompt reply. At the moment we are still just trying to find out what help we are entitled to. Any advice is much appreciated.

I don’t know what help is available in the UK, but only wanted to offer how critical physical and occupational therapies are. I was totally paralyzed on my left side after a stroke when i was 73. I had intense therapy (3x a day for 3 weeks in the hospital,) and when I went home, I was starting to walk a little with a walker. More therapy 2x a week as an outpatient for about 5 months. Then worked on my own at home for many months after that. Now 4 years later, I can walk and use my affected hand/arm. Every case is different, so I don’t know where your mum is at, but the brain can rewire in many cases with therapy. I’ll remember you and your family in my prayers tonight. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

@philhusband welcome but sorry to hear of your mums stroke.

I would suggest making contact with citizens advice, age UK or local council benefits adviser to see what financial assistance you may be entitled to. It’s different for pensioners.

I’m surprised she’s not getting any therapy & that makes me wonder if that is based on her age. I hope not as it sounds like she’s made some progress so, in my view, could continue to make further progress with the right support. I would perhaps speak to her stroke consultant or GP to see if they can make relevant referrals.

Wishing you all the very best.

Best wishes.


Hi Sorry to hear about your mum. I was eighty years old when I had a stroke which sounds similar to your mum. I made good progress with the support of my husband. I claim attendance allowance which you are entitled to irrespective of your current financial circumstances. I hope this helps. Best wishes . Lilian

Hello Lilian. Thank you for your reply. I’m really glad that you have been making good progress, and I hope that you continue to do so. I have downloaded the Attendance Allowance form (since writing this post), only to find that my Dad actually has an appointment to fill this out. Half of our issue is that my Dad forgets to tell us what he has set up. It looks like we have more support than I initially realised. Thank you again.

1 Like

Hello Ann,

Thank you for your reply. I’m not sure what a stroke consultant is, but my brother is dealing with a lady from the Stroke Association, so he’ll probably get good advice there. I have been pushing for my father to talk to the GP, and he has finally made a telephone appointment for next week. Hopefully we can get something set up, as she has definitely been making progress, and has not yet reached a plateau. Thanks again,


1 Like

We haven’t yet, but that was next on my list. Thank you.

Hello Jeanne. That’s wonderful to hear how much progress you have made xx I also believe that it is so important, and am very keen to get support.
Thank you.