Food for thought

The news is full of stories of people with Long Covid - symptoms which include anxiety, confusion, fatigue, memory loss to name a few.  Do these symptoms seem familiar? 

I wonder if the government will set up a clinic in various towns to help with Long Stroke symptoms?  I was listening to an interview on TV last night of a lady who had Covid and returned home.  She said "People who see me can't see anything wrong but inside I'm breaking up and can't cope" 

Sound familiar?

Hello. I haven't had covid(that I know of )I had a stroke last march,just celebrated my 1year anniversary! When I felt well enough to have a walk I was kept being told you look well you must be back to normal now,grr so frustrating as people mean well but can't see how much of an effort it takes to just get up and about and then sleep the rest of the day.so I do agree with you.wink

I solely agree also. I have that all the time and how I wish it was true. Like you say they cant see whats going on inside. We have to put on a brave face. Norma.

smileyI think that's a part of it.i am relieved to be alive and not been affected by covid like others,so I always try to have a smile on my face,I think people see a happy smiling face and assume it's the same on the inside.i might try a frown now and again?devil

If we had a pound for every time we heard it!!wink  

Hello,I had my stroke last May and have worked hard on my exercises, which I still do daily, to get back as much mobility as Pre stroke.  I still have weakness in my left side and sometimes struggle for the right words.  People say how well I look, but inside I know I’m not capable of doing things I was always able to do.  That said, I’m grateful for every day that I’m not left paralysed.  Keep up your physio it will,pay off. Good luck to all.

Hello,I had my stroke last May and have worked hard on my exercises, which I still do daily, to get back as much mobility as Pre stroke.  I still have weakness in my left side and sometimes struggle for the right words.  People say how well I look, but inside I know I’m not capable of doing things I was always able to do.  That said, I’m grateful for every day that I’m not left paralysed.  Keep up your physio it will,pay off. Good luck to all.

Hi

It certainly does make you think. I'm very grateful for every day and I don't worry about getting back to my pre-stroke level of gardening, cooking and baking I enjoyed because I don't think I'll achieve it. However, it would be nice to think I may one day manage to style my bedraggled hair after my husband's washed it for me or manage to file my finger nails or change a pair of ear-rings. Fingers crossed, well not on my left hand!

Best wishes to all in your recovery, we have to keep persevering.

Anne S

Anne, we do indeed, but please don't write off your old skills just yet. I am not a gardener but I love cooking and baking. After my stroke, I came to the realisation that any task does not have to be done in one go. One day, I decided I could bake a cake. Stage one was to assemble the ingredients and grease and line the tin. Stage 2 was to weigh the ingredients, Stage 3 was the mixing process using a hand whisk. Stage 4 was to bake the cake. Mission accomplished.

I did treat myself to a new food processor and that enabled me to make bread as well. We haven't had a shop loaf now for nearly five years. I now churn out Welsh cakes, sponges, lemon drizzle cakes and all sorts. My first pastry covered pie was a bit tricky but I did it.

It is indeed a matter of perseverance and we must all keep on trying.

Dear John Jeff

Thank you for your reply and encouragement. It's a great idea to break the task down into stages and we'll certainly    give it a go, possibly tomorrow. I say we, because there are  things I couldn't do without Bill's help; my left arm is still very weak. Although I can move my fingers a little, I have no grasp or reach so Bill would have to bring the flour jar from the pantry and tip the required amount into the mixing bowl. I have a stand mixer so mixing the cake isn't a problem. The only other thing I will need help with is going in and out of the oven safely, since I still need a quad stick to move around, so I don't have an arm spare to do the necessary. Bill will be a willing participant since he's craving cake!

Thank you once more for your useful suggestion.

Take care and best wishes,

Anne S xxx

Good luck Anne. Just keep working on that weak hand. I can't hold anything of any weight in mine and mostly use my right hand. I call my weak hand my 'stabilising hand', pushing things against it to enable the strong hand work more effectively. I have an oven at my height with an open and push under door (like bake off) and can take things out with my good hand, but nothing too heavy. Please let us know how it goes.

Well, we managed it and the result was edible. In fact, it's half eaten already, Bill having satisfied his cake craving! Just a plain all-in-one sponge. I shall definitely make another one in the next day or so, probably a lemon sponge this time. I did require quite a bit of assistance but I'll keep trying. Some people think because I've lost the use of my non-dominant side, it must be alright but the fact is all activities of daily living require two hands. I find, one of the most frustrating tasks I attempt is the ironing. With the best will in the world, it's impossible for me to finish it in one go and it takes numerous attempts to get through it, with pretty shoddy results.

I recently purchased a book, Stronger After Stroke. You roadmap to Recovery written by Peter G Levine. It covers many aspects of stroke recovery, neurorehabilitation options, neuroplasticity etc. I've found it very interesting and helpful and chimes with a lot of my views on rehabilitation after stroke.

I'd better leave it there, since it's nearly time for a meal.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Regards,

Anne S xxx

Well done. Yes, we do need two hands. Like you, I have left sided weakness, but I use the left the best I can. I can iron a bit now, but the initial problem was getting getting the ironing board up, then keeping clothes on the board. We bought a new ergonomic lightweight ironing board which requires on push on a lever to get it up.

myvfirst attempts at ironing included a lot of swearing, but you just keep trying. After 5 years I can manage two items but it's an effort. My greatest triumph is changing a duvet. Took over an hour at first but is now 40 minutes

i find I can do most things one-handed. I never recovered any movement in my left arm/hand.

I drive, bake, garden, change the bedding, put up shelves, knit, tie shoelaces. The only thing I don't do is ironing - i send it out.

Janet

Similar situation

May I ask how long it is since your stroke?

I drove for a while but had a minor bump, no one hurt but dented the car beyond repair so unfortunately no longer. Focusing on quieter activities. I d be interested to know how you do shelving one handed, and shoe laces?  Any videos you can point me to or other guides?

Gardening is my project this year

I found fatigue was the biggest inhibitor to my activity. Walking is better but still not great tho I keep at it. I am nearly 5 years post stroke now. Gets me down a bit occasionally still.

Bw

Tony 

Well done on the baking. I thought I'd share my top tip with you. I bake things that don't need taken out of the tin straight away. When ready I trurnthe oven off and leave the door open. Then when cool I can lift out of the oven safely.

Hello Anne, don't know if you have tried Jane Ashers lemon drizzle cake. You add eggs,vegetable oil and a little cold water to the mixture and mix for a couple of minutes then put mixture in a loaf tin to cook. I just used a wooden spoon. There is some icing to put on when it's cold which you can add lemon juice to if you want. It's quite nice for a change and was nice and light. I saw it in Home and Bargins a few weeks ago. Worth giving it a try anyway.

best wishes

Ann.

Hi,

I've never attempted to get out the ironing board and put it up, I think I'd just end up falling over. Nor have I changed the duvet cover, other  than helping a bit and getting in the way. We use a top flat sheet so that the duvet cover doesn't need changing as frequently as it otherwise would.

I obviously have a long way to go but I will keep trying.

Anne S xxx

Dear Ann

No, I haven't tried Jane Asher's version of lemon drizzle cake so I'll look out for it. I often make an all-in-one lemon sponge and make my own lemon curd to fill it; it's my son's favourite. He hasn't got much of a sweet tooth but he does enjoy this. For the next one, I'll probably just buy a pot of lemon curd to make things easier.

Thank you so much for replying, it's very kind of you.

Best wishes,

Anne S xxx

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post. We had an Aga installed about 30 years ago; it's been brilliant and I've loved it but, alas, it's not very stroke survivor friendly. Having said that, when I left hospital last March still unable to walk, I took my first steps holding onto the Aga rail with my unaffected hand, before progressing to my quad stick. Since the Aga's on all the time, I can't use your method but your response is still very much appreciated.

Thanks once more and I hope you're recovering well.

Anne S xxx