Flying advice

Hi everyone

I had a TIA in February with possible AF as cause but might be PAF. (My requested referral to a cardiac consultant has been accepted.) Am on clopidogrel and atorvastatin and very lucky as have no obvious side effects except occasional fatigue. Now want to fly to see family in Albania: about 4-hour flight and temp there 38°C. My cautious doctor suggests it’s a risk because of pressurised air causing less oxygen to body and the effect of high temperature in Albania, both of which put stress on the heart. Plan to stay only a week with family. Any advice out there gratefully appreciated. Doctor said I also had to advise the airline: is this mandatory? - needless to say I’d take out insurance. Has anyone undertaken a similar journey?

Hope everyone is enjoying the warm weather and the amazing flowers: scents in the evening are delicious. Take care all.

1 Like

Many thanks for your reply. Yup, it’s 3 months after my TIA - and it has certainly encouraged me to savour moments and experiences. Am glad you’re enjoying Cumbria - a beautiful and ancient area. Best of luck for Tuesday: have a great time on what must truly be an adventure.

1 Like

Hi @Magga - my partner had a TIA seven weeks ago and was due to fly to Australia next week. The stroke consultant has advised against flying as the TIA is still under investigation, which sounds to be the same for you.

Another issue is that you might find it difficult to get insurance. When declaring a stroke/TIA you’re asked if you’re awaiting any tests. I’m assuming that if you answer yes, an online application wouldn’t be accepted. I don’t know whether that would mean insurance would be refused, but insurance companies do sometimes refuse cover.

Best wishes

Many thanks for that - very helpful. Sorry to hear, though, that your trip to Australia had to be cancelled.

@Magga I recently undertaken a 2 hour flight which was 6 months post stroke. I was advised by my travel company that I needed a fit to fly letter from my GP. I got this letter but it was never checked.
Each airline has their own set of rules. You’re best checking with them to ensure you don’t get turned away at airport.
Insurance is tricky if you’re still having investigations but probably not impossible. However if you’ve been advised not to fly you won’t get insurance. In my mind being told it’s a risk & being told you can’t fly are 2 diffetent things. xx

I think the only way to find out about insurance is to attempt to buy some. When I tried to buy a joint annual policy online a few months ago (prior to his TIA) some companies wouldn’t quote at all. I’m assuming that was due to my stroke, although both of us have other (minor) medical issues to declare. In the end I got it from Staysure and it wasn’t cheap.
I should add that previously, even after my stroke, we’ve not not had any problems getting insurance but that was for short European trips. The annual policy needed this year has to cover trips in Europe, plus Australia and South Africa.
It’s all a minefield, but obviously very necessary.

Many thanks for your reply. I’ve been told it’s too risky for me to fly. A friend who’s a retired doctor said I certainly shouldn’t fly and that I should have been referred to a cardiologist months ago for on-going irregular runs of tachycardia so am now pursuing that with my surgery. Hope it’ll be sorted by Sept so I can fly then. In the meantime I’ll enjoy the English summer.
Thanks for your help.

  1. List item

Hi @Magga - I’m sorry you’re not able to fly at the moment, but probably best to be cautious. Good luck with pursuing a referral to a cardiologist and hope you’re able to travel by September.