Finding a Job after stroke

Here is something I never seem to figure out.
I am trying to find a job and the issue is how much to I share regarding my state. When I say I had had a stroke people seem to tense up and doubt I can carry out the tasks. But how do you convince the interviewer that you can do the job?

1 Like

@Monika this is a difficult one & deciding what to share or otherwise I think is very dependent on whether you’ll need any adjustments to enable you to do the job.

If you do tell them I would clarify it & tie in how your strength & determination on your recovery journey has given you some excellent skills that are very valuable in the workplace.

Good luck job hunting.

1 Like

Hi @Monika - @Mrs5K has given you good advice. There is no legal obligation for you to disclose a disability or health condition to an employer (existing or prospective) so it’s up to you how much to share. This link clarifies it. Disclosing disability at work | Disability charity Scope UK

Are you a Jobcentre Plus customer? If so, your work coach or disability employment adviser should be able to help you with some tips for how to sell yourself to an employer. You might also want to look at job search websites such as Indeed (other sites are available!) as they often contain job search advice.

Not sure what type of work you’re looking for but many charities employ people with disabilities because lived experience is extremely valuable. These are the Stroke Association’s current job vacancies. Jobs | Stroke Association

Best of luck with it.

3 Likes

I am writing this both as someone who has had a stroke and who has conducted quite a few interviews over the years. I should also add that I am terrible at actually being interviewed so take my suggestions with a large pinch of salt!!

As a few people have already mentioned you have absolutely no requirement to disclose this fact. I should also add however that employers cannot discriminate against you if you do mention it. So ask yourself why do you want to mention it? If it’s not relevant and not needed, don’t. But if you do decide you are comfortable with at least the possibility of discussing it then try and be clear when and why you might choose to mention it.

It maybe that you want to mention it as an answer to any question that may arise about a visible gap in your career record or it maybe that you want to make it clear why you’re embarking on looking for a new job or career when you had previously been locked into another job or career pathway. Prospective employees are alway going to probe what made you apply for a job, or why you maybe changing tack.

My only comment here would be if you are to mention, do so positively if you can and be comfortable with discussing it - so if you’re not, again don’t. I for example, struggle to talk about my stroke without bursting into tears which is probably a bad look mid interview! If you do decide you’re comfortable mentioning it, try to use it to your advantage e.g. to Demonstrate your desire to adapt / change / learn new skills etc as a skill set or as a personality attribute - someone who is willing to cope with challenges and not afraid of new things etc rather than coming across as someone on the back foot.

I have pondered the same question with regards to any change in job myself after my stroke and not yet decided upon my own answer so can only begin to imagine how tough this must be for you so wish you well on the job hunting front and your stroke recovery.

3 Likes

Hi @Monika

I think the others have all given you good advice :slight_smile:

You don’t say whether you currently have a specific job in mind, or a specific organisation, or just a general desire towards an industry or role .

I would suggest that when you have a job and therefore an organisation in mind you look through the job specification and the competencies and you look through the organisational mission and values and then consider the STAR acronym

that is for the responsibilities in the job specification imagine a Situation, the Targets on which that situation is considered successful, the Actions you have taken in that situation and the Results you achieved

If any of those potential answers that you have imagined have been directly supporting elements of the jobs specification in the context of the organisation’s reason for being and ways of being are enhanced by your experience including your stroke I would build them into your responses .

If the STAR responses do not benefit from mention of your stroke then I would admit them.

If you’re going to interviews then beware the long pauses by the interviewer. They are a device to make you say more and are best met by “have you another question¿” or better yet “concerning that how does the team I will be working in / role I will have typically handle…” (Adjust contextually :slight_smile: )

good luck
Ciao
Simon

1 Like