Fatigue

I have had a couple of bad days when you have a tia and surgery and you do so well no one tells you it’s not that simple I feel constantly tired now and not as good today I think it’s fairly normal but no one tells you these things my memory is crazy I am still good but think where’s the phone when it’s in my hand and silly stuff. Knowing I am going to put my notice in also makes me feel of no value when I know I have a lot to give still. I have just received an appointment for a scan next week before before I see the surgeon 6 weeks after that and it’s all out of proportion in my head thinking what if it’s not worked my thoughts are just running away with me

4 Likes

The worst one I do is Where are my glassess? befrore I realise they are on my face.

6 Likes

They basically want me back on my old job which I have said no to I said even if I could just have my 5 hours admin I would be happy but it’s a no and I don’t want the stress of it anymore the fact is they are going to cut back and not replace people which means it will be worse than before so I know this is the right decision but I feel I have no fight left so one less problem

3 Likes

Just under 4 years but nhs over 12 they say they will go at my pace but I know it’s going to get worse and I am putting myself first now

3 Likes

Surgery was 6 weeks ago I would have gone back after one month if they had let me just do the five hours so have another sick note but looks like they will integrate jobs to cut back

1 Like

@Jul sorry you’re feeling that way. It’s very early days and fatigue will be a big thing right now. Try & find some things you enjoy doing to help with your stress levels. As @Loshy says meditation or similar might be good.

I also echo what @Loshy says re your employment. I think i said on one of your previous posts that you shouldn’t quit. If i read your post right you are employed by the NHS? They will have medical retirement/ ill health dismissal processes in place. Let them finish your employment. Both of the options above usually come with a payout. For now my advice is to keep submitting fit notes & then in time consider your options. Of course, it’s your decision but at least seek some advice from ACAS or your Trade Union before you resign.

Best of luck.

Ann

2 Likes

I went looking for my phone, at night, using the torch on my phone :woozy_face:

7 Likes

Have done that too :joy:. It’s important to keep in mind that many of these incidents are related to “working memory” or sometimes called executive function, and not necessarily a deterioration of our memory function.

5 Likes

It’s called running on auto pilot and it happens more frequently during all stroke/brain recovery. More tasks put on autopilot than usual as our brains are having to do so much more for daily function while it heals and repairs.

But it’s normal too, daughter went and put the box of popcorn in fridge before she realised what she was doing…and she is only 20yrs :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :laughing:

1 Like

If it wasn’t for this group I would honestly be wondering what’s wrong because no one tells you about memory but it’s silly stuff like using your torch on your phone to find your phone looking for your glasses on your head it’s so odd and you think is it temporary or will it improve

1 Like

I don’t like when gets tired alot from stroke

2 Likes

I only get about 4 to 5 hours sleep if that

2 Likes

Please do not just hand in your notice. That is what they are pressuring you for, so they don’t have to do anything or make any form of settlement.

You’ve just had a stroke! Mentally you are in no fit state to be considering returning to work or what you are going to do in the future. And you need to tell your gp that next time you need a sick note. You need to open up to your gp, they can refer you for some CBT which would benefit you too. But they’re not mind readers, they rely on their patients telling them their ailments and issues. :wink:

It sounds to me your employers are putting more stress and pressure on you while you are still in recovery and that’s not kosher surely; is that even legal. They are taking advantage of your weakened, vulnerable state of mind. Mentally, you are not in a fit or rational state of mind to be making such decisions. So don’t let them bully and steam roller you into quitting.

You are sitting pretty, you don’t have to do anything with regards work other than provide them with your sick notes and put them out of your mind. You are not even signed off with your consultant yet. Get some advice for the Citizens Advice Bureau first, when you are good and ready.

In the mean time try to relax and put it all out your head, you have enough on your plate just concentrating on you and your recovery. And definitely take @Loshy and @Mrs5K advice and seek sound advice before you make any decisions. Good luck

3 Likes

I Wouldn’t worry, so far I have lost my phone to only find it in my pocket, yesterday I
tried to put the kettle in the fridge and left the milk next to the kettle stand and the morning entertainment is spending 10 mins looking for my watch after a shower that’s on my wrist. Im sure it will get better
Bear

2 Likes

Oh glad it’s not just me @Bear i was only telling a friend this morning about me putting the kettle in the fridge. It made them laugh :grin:

2 Likes

Definitely don’t quit. You will get benefits and they have to show willing to adjust your job. Otherwise they are discriminating against you. I had my stroke a year ago. The going back to work thing is the thing I stress about the most, but I have good people around me saying one day at a time! R

2 Likes

I know our mental health along with physical beings

1 Like

I really truly struggled with rest and sleep along DIABETES

1 Like

Hi @Jul you should be entitled to 1 year off with fit notes covering you, 6 months full pay then 6 months half pay. I had to do that because I supported disabled adults so wasn’t strong enough to do the job anymore. Absolutely don’t leave your employment voluntarily, that will only help your employer and save them giving you your redundancy money, I got a weeks pay for every year I’d been officially employed.
Don’t let them away with it, sorry but I hate it when people don’t get what they’re entitled to x

2 Likes