Fatigue years on

Hi Everyone,
I had my stroke just over 5 years ago and amongst the number of problems I was left with fatigue was one of them. Over time I learned to manage it well and returned to part time work after a couple of years being careful not to overdo things.
All has been well until the last 6 months or so where I now find myself feeling tired all the time. Admittedly I am not sleeping as sound as I used to but still get a good 6/7 hours kip each night, most nights. I am finding though that I could seriously go back to sleep as soon as I am up. Also my memory, although never returning to anywhere like it was pre stroke also seems to be getting steadily worse.
Do you think this is stroke related and a need for concern? I am now 58 years old, is this a sign of just getting older?
I have tried to get in to see my GP but in all honesty it is hopeless. Someone mentioned possibly taking vitamin tablets to help, has anyone else tried this?
Thank you, any help would be much appreciated.

4 Likes

Hi @Binty
This really is one of those “who knows” and you probably need somebody with qualified medical experience and some blood tests.

Fatigue can come on, and wax and wane for all sorts of reasons including vitamin imbalances, sleep challenges or just because stroke doesn’t seem to ever be finally set aside.

There has been lots of stuff about vitamins in the last couple of months - the magnifying glass and a search for supplements is probably your best bet and then reading through those threads
There are some long lists from pando and there are some recommended suppliers mentioned by others like clibbers - If you put the @ username in the search with keywords you’ll turn up that individual person’s use of that individual keyword or words

There are definitely degenerative neurological conditions such as small vascular disease but I am not qualified to guess whether they affect you but they are known to be post stroke risks

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

Hi Binty, EXTREME FATIGUE ! Similar, nearly 5 years. 65 years old, (use to say young, not anymore) 8 or 9 hours, sleep at night. Up 7am , back to bed 10am , most of the day , every day. NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL FATIGUE. :rofl: . Memory worst. Mobility worst, due to lack of mobility.
Used to fight it , didn’t work! However appreciate, how it could be worst. (Secret code ! We all know, for what ! )
Many improve, some do not , people like to say acceptance, but HONESTLY, DO YOU EVER ?
Hope things improve for you. David.

4 Likes

Thank you David3, so its not just me then.
I worry these days, if its the norm then I am okay with that, it is what it is. Guess I will have to find a way round this and move on👍🏻

4 Likes

Thanks SimonInEdinburgh. I will keep badgering the Doctor and try and get the elusive appointment but in the meantime I will give the vitamins a try, I have nothing to lose.

2 Likes

Find the posts ( I think @EmeraldEyes did one about fatigue and vitamin b12) so you know what people suggested has helpful for what .

You might also talk to your pharmacist and to any herbal supplier that you have locally
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, do you think it’s possible you have sleep apnea ?
This could give you some of the symptoms you mention.

2 Likes

My new pcp has called me about my labs my Chlorsolt was 345

3 Likes

@Binty I am 2 years post stroke & my fatigue never really went then I had a TIA & am back to square 1 with it. I work too & i think that hasn’t helped.

Your symptoms could be stroke related but theh could also be other things. Try & get a GP appointment & get your bloods checked for any deficiencies that might be causing it.

Hope they can sort it for you.

Ann

2 Likes

Thanks Ann, will do. I seem to be catching colds as well which is something I’ve never had a problem with in the past. I think I am just generally run down, having suffered the stroke I do not want another!

3 Likes

Thanks Nigelglos, it had crossed my mind.
I was as fit as a fiddle pre stroke, didnt drink or smoke, wasnt overweight and exercised (even ran a marathon) it came completely out of the blue. I have still kept myself fit post stroke, just hoping it isnt stroke related.
I think I need to keep badgering the doctors to try and get that appointment, hopefully it is a simple fix.

3 Likes

If you have a smart watch, they often show blood oxygen levels and sleep patterns.
Might help give your GP more information on whether a referral is necessary.
My manager at work developed it. Not from a stroke. His performance dropped off,he fell asleep in meetings. People thought he had been out the night before.
Bit of oxygen overnight transformed him.

3 Likes

If you’ve got a cold or had a few of them that could bring on your previous stroke symptoms. A lot of people report worsening stroke symptoms when they’re poorly. Definitely worth getting checked over though.

2 Likes

Hi @Binty if you want to go down the vitamin route some over the counter B12 is a good place to start. No need to go the “no expence spaired” at this trial stage, just supermarket brands won’t hurt. Try one daily for a couple weeks to ser if that makes any difference for you. That might be what your low on if you are not getting enough in your diet. Most B vitamins can’t be stored in the body so you need a daily intake. Or you could try a daily nutrient enriched shake for a couple weeks … Ensure, Complan, you can get these at your chemist or supermarket too. It could be that you are just a little run down if you’ve been getting so many colds.

It could also be because you are run down that you are getting so many colds. It can be a viscous cycle.

Do they run Well Man/Woman clinics at your GP surgery. If so, you might stand a better chance of getting an appointment there. Tell them how you’ve been, all the colds you’ve had etc and they will do blood tests for you to check your nutrient levels, demand it if the don’t, but chances are they will.

Do not speculate that this could be stroke relate. Thats a mistake many of us make. This is new to you, come on in the last 6mths and needs to be treated that way. So don’t allow the medical professionals do that either, not until all else has been ruled out. Dont even bother bringing up the topic of stroke unless they do first.

2 Likes

Thank you EmeraldEyes. I have bought some from Boots this afternoon so will start taking them and see how it goes.
Not sure about the clinics at my surgery but will look into that also.
I have worked so damn hard since this happened, this seems to be my first major setback since. I automatically think it is stroke related, maybe I am just over thinking things and that its something that a few vitamin tablets may just put right.

3 Likes

Thats the problem, not sure why I am suddenly getting colds? Since my stroke I have been having the flu jab regularly and until recently not one cold. Why should I be getting them now as well as feeling so damn tired? Since day one I vowed to get back to as “normal” as I was, to me it is a big step backwards that I want to get to the bottom of.

2 Likes

Flu jabs can’t protect against colds, there is no protection against colds.
The likes of Ensure/Complan are often used with people recovering from major ops or have suffered malnutrition so full of nutrients to build them back up. Worth giving it a try 'til you can see a doctor or practice nurse.

EDIT:
A vitamin B or AB complex:

3 Likes

There are some horrid colds going around at the moment & guess we’re all susceptible to catching them if we mix with people a bit. I’ve not really had a cold since my stroke but i rarely go anywhere to pick one up. Perhaps you are mixing a bit more now? The only way to know for sure whether it’s stroke related or not is to get checked over. Hope you feel better soon x

3 Likes

I recommend you get veneer teeth that go on normal teeth and attach a tube that sprays water and food in your mouth so you are always hydrated and always with enough food in your system
Beung hydrated means a lot especially when you arr sleeping. Many people have a stroke because of dehydration