Exercise experiment

@Bobbi
I take umbrage: we all know who caused the interruption of a glorious, lovely thread filled with possibilities, cutting edge ideas and dare I say it? LOVE! On the other hand, I suppose waxing philosophical can exercise the" little grey cells" ( Poirot). Joust on philosophers.
There is a lot of Buzz lately about “affirmations”. I’m wondering if Self-Talk that is positive while imagining might make the process work better? I know that for me, negative self talk is damaging and can put me in a blue funk all day. I’m not hearkening back to the old “Power of positive thinking” but more of
a physical exercise in tandem with positive affirmations.

5 Likes

I comment to explore my own perceptions. Never with motive to be confrontational in this or anyother thread
I wasnt aware of any battle, I see those as unproductive. Mutual exploration accomplished by connected statements that establish a proposition IE an arguement might I suppose big called the battle?

While positive thinking may not be the path to anywhere negative thinking is definitely the route to at best inactivity and at worst failure

3 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh
A little levity is good for the soul and for recovery. That was the spirit of much of my last post.

5 Likes

Tut, tut, the battle seems to have fizzled out.

I suppose its back to exercise, motivation and such then?
Note to self, must try harder.

“I think I can” from “Story of the Engine That Thought It Could.”

2 Likes

An interesting sharing of ideas has spawned. I, for one, enjoy that immensely.

1 Like

@DeAnn and what do you think of affirmations?

1 Like

Which are you? I am INFJ or INTJ. I believe the former, but the F and T are 51% and 49%, so I can get a bit confused… No surprise there eh?

2 Likes

And here I thought I was doing so well following this conversation . . . and then you came with a bunch of abbreviations :confounded: and now I’m lost :crazy_face: :laughing:

2 Likes

@EmeraldEyes Yes. and I “Affirm” that.

3 Likes

As one who is also mystified about abbreviations in general, I must admit that when someone uses them I tend to disregard the ensuing discussion.
My wife spends time on a Canadian site where these abbreviations are much used. They are really a code shared amongst an ‘in crowd’.

Although not wishing to associate myself with such exclusive groups I will mention that in this particular case a Web search throws up the indication that iNFJ and INTJ are references to arbitrary personality types defined in a system. For anyone keen to go down this rabbit hole here is something of my search which you are free to fall into, watch out for Alice, the White Rabbit and, quite possibly, a hookah smoking caterpillar!

These codes are abbreviations that represent different personality types based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) system. Each code consists of four letters, with each letter representing a specific aspect of a person’s personality. Here’s a breakdown of what each letter represents:

1. The first letter (I or E) represents whether a person is introverted (I) or extraverted (E). Introverts tend to gain energy from within and prefer solitude, while extraverts gain energy from social interactions and external stimuli.
  2. The second letter (N or S) represents whether a person primarily relies on intuition (N) or sensing (S) as their preferred way of perceiving and gathering information. Intuitive individuals tend to focus on patterns, possibilities, and future-oriented thinking, while sensing individuals pay more attention to concrete details and present sensory information.
  3. The third letter (F or T) represents whether a person primarily uses feeling (F) or thinking (T) as their preferred way of making decisions and judgments. Feeling individuals prioritize personal values, emotions, and empathy in decision-making, while thinking individuals prioritize logic, analysis, and objectivity.
  4. The fourth letter (J or P) represents whether a person prefers judging (J) or perceiving (P) in dealing with the outside world. Judging individuals prefer structure, organization, and planning, while perceiving individuals prefer flexibility, spontaneity, and adaptability.

I have no intention of involving myself in any of the above and apologise to those lovers of abbreviations who will find meaning here. I don’t speak code other than British English.

Our discussions must diverge.

For me, the way you see it is how you define it, whatever ‘it’ may be.

However, the idea of exercise and experiment combined does appeal to me.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :+1:

2 Likes

@Bobbi
@EmeraldEyes
@DeAnn
@SimonInEdinburgh
I’m fairly new here and a bit confused about where my thread went.

2 Likes

As difficult as they can be to decipher at times, I do appreciate the needs behind them, and it’s largely due to phone texting. Historically, they were first introduced to reduce the cost of texting, that’s also how punctuation fell by the wayside. That sparked the trend and now that old habit now comes instinctively to some. Also, on phones you are limited to one or two digit texting, which the majority of folk do today, so abbreviations are also a way of reducing repetitive strain injury. And then there’s those with disabilities such as stroke survivors who may use abbreviations to aid them within their physical/mental constraints.

So I’ll never knock the trend and that’s why google is my friend :blush: It’s actually surprising how many of these abbreviations google recognises now, it’s only taken it 24yrs :laughing:

2 Likes

@Bobbi , I guess. I’m outta’ Here. Cheerio.

1 Like

I feel for you @Outlander
Having that happen to a thread is a very discomforting experience.
I know you had something serious and hopefully useful to offer.
What you wrote is no less valuable because of where your thread was dragged.

This sort of thing does happen in this forum, discipline is quite lax, no-one wants to jump on a post that is a little out of context, so the discussions begin to wander.

It will probably happen to you again, but please don’t let this put you off. I, for one, value your posting and am sure you are getting across to most of those who read here. I want to hear more of what you have to say.

I could go on, but won’t, just want to reassure you that what you are doing is worthwhile. and of interest to others.

You aren’t the first to have had this experience and I don’t think you will be the last.

I really don’t want to see the back of you. You are valuable to us, here.

Please tell me you will . . .

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :face_holding_back_tears:

note.

I see now that all is well.
Please forgive the melodrama

2 Likes

@Outlander , @Bobbi and at other readers.

I apologize as I took the conversation away from the original topic when I saw something I recognized and was curious about. Simon was kind enough to take the conversation away from here and to messaging to stop the new topic taking over your thread.

I like your exercise experiment. In fact I like trying different things to see if I can get further results. I try to stay away from medications–so especially food, movement, and mind exercises capture my attention. Due to my background in mental, emotional and behavioral health, I have a big interest in personality, feelings, psychology and philosphy…as well as cultural ideas.

That is how I got taken away from topic. Please accept my sincere apology for overstepping your question,

3 Likes

I should never worry Outlander, your original post is still right here at the top of this thread for all to see. And even though your post went a little off topic, there is still an advantage to that, in that it brings your post back up to the top of the forums most recent posts where it’ll be seen first. Thus giving others the chance to read and comment on if they desire, without the need to scroll down into the ethers to come across it.

I do like to comment on posts just for that reason, especially for the posts that have come in late in the evening or have not received much response. It’s a way of keeping the post alive until it’s received sufficient enough attention. This is easy enough to do with newbies just by way of welcoming them to the forum or making a little further enquiry. It can get a little trickier with the not so new and already welcomed folk, like your good self. You created a post of interest, worthy of others views and comments.

New viewers to your post will always see your original post (OP) first upon opening it. Then can scroll on down to all the other replies to it, skipping over those of no interest to them, until they reach the bottom. So rest assured your post is very much alive and active, nothing has been lost :blush:

4 Likes

@EmeraldEyes
@DeAnn
@Bobbi
No worries: “I’m outta here” meant out of the thread. it will take me quite a while to see any results from this experiment. Spasticity was so bad today, all I could do was sit in the recliner like a veggie.

4 Likes

@Outlander

maybe your brain is saying to you,
“Give it a rest. Just sit in the recliner and leave it to me while I get a bit of rest and repair done!”

Nothing to stop you posting your thoughts here and there once in a while, though.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :brain: :+1:

2 Likes

Oh I can empathise with that I used to have to do that a lot in the first year of recovery and I didn’t even have Spasticity. I used to just sit almost trance like, I hope you feel a bit better tomorrow maybe after a good nights sleep.

3 Likes

that’s really interesting I’ve never heard of this before! I might give this a try, I wonder if this can work for sight loss, similar concept with light therapy maybe? :thinking: asking the brain to make those pathways

2 Likes