Driving

So today marks my 4 weeks since my stroke I was at the drs yesterday for BP and bloods and mentioned I needed a review they said a doctor would ring me today about it. So today my phone rang it wasn’t a Dr it was the receptionist to tell he the Dr had left a note to say because I’m unsteady on my feet and couldn’t cope with the noise of the waiting room I wasn’t to drive but then she said but he said he’s not in a position to tell me if I can drive or not gps don’t do this.
So my question is who does do this ? Also my stroke effected my left side and even tho I struggle with my left leg I drive an automatic car so that legs not actually used.

I’m feeling really let down by the care I’ve received since been discharged especially by my GP with a number of errors and me constantly having to ring them to chase things or rectify their mistakes

2 Likes

Hi, this is so like my issue at the moment, by advise given I could be driving now but common sense tells me , not yet. A Dr can inform the DVLA if they don’t think you should have a licence but rarely do they advise if you should or shouldn’t drive, I think they believe we all have to use our own judgement. Due to another issue I moved to automatic some years ago, and like you my left leg is the unstable one. I think to drive it is essential to be in the correct mental zone as well as physical as fatigue, pain and lack of strength in arms needs to be taken into account as having an impact on your alertness. Hope you feel in a better place to drive soon, if it is to be for you going forward. All the best Di

3 Likes

Yeah I’m nowhere near ready to drive in still extremely tired and have a foggy brain shall we call it plus I go dizzy alot so I wouldn’t be doing it anyway not for a while I was just confused as my discharge notes said for GP to review me for driving in 4 weeks and he says that’s not his job then again nothing on my discharge notes seem to be his job

4 Likes

It does all seem a bit vague.
I have had my licence withdrawn by the DVLA following the rehab centre Dr basing my capability on an estimate of my previous capability and now.

No idea what the test was, what my score was or why I failed. Was it on a day I didn’t feel at all well
Who knows.

As a way back, I am not suggesting you need this at all but there are regional centres like this around the country.

https://drivingandmobility.org/

If you haven’t had your licence withdrawn, please don’t take this as fact, it seems to be down to you unless you have medical advice otherwise.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Same here, release from hospital to care of GP, even when I had severe allergic reaction was told by receptionist, can’t have an appt JUST for a rash. Will see how get on tomorrow with GP telephone appt. Even my sick note made no mention of stroke just “rash” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@annie39 As i understand it if you have any residual affects from your stroke after 4 weeks you are obliged to notify the DVLA & they will advise whether you can drive or not. They will probably contact your GP & possibly other medical professionals (depending on who is involved in your care). I had to have a medical at my GPs and an eye test at speecsavers. Have a look at this link.

2 Likes

I think Ann got it right

To the best of my knowledge by interpretation of what is on the dvla website (no promises on accuracy or completeness)

The medical profession (Inc opticians) have a duty to inform the DVLA if they are aware that there are medical criteria that would invalidate a licence. So do drivers.

Potential drivers have the responsibility of applying to the DVLA for permission. Therefore it makes sense to seek assurance from medical professionals that they will not voice concern.

When the DVLA are notified by a third party then if someone holds a licence they will revoke it. If you get in first then you can surrender it. When wishing to drive if your licence has been revoked you will need an assessment by an assessment centre - many which will do mock assessments on request (payment & waiting lists not withstanding)

If you surrendered a licence then on receipt of an application for its return by the DVLA supported by a statement of no medical impediment then you can drive for up to a year while the DVLA decide whether to return the licence or order an assessment or conclude you do not meet minimum medical standards.

Insurance companies tend not to be bothered but need to be advised.

The police will by policy prosecute in the aftermath of any accident by a driver whether a licence holder or not who does not meet the criteria to hold a licence and in that case insurance will be void too.

There may be more that I am unaware of but the above encapsulates what (rightly | wrongly) am aware of.

Caio
Simon

2 Likes

I don’t know if my story will be of any help.
At the time of my TIA, my driving licence was due for renewal in 6mths time. I’d already been told, by the stroke consultant at the hospital, that I would probably be fine to drive in 6-8wks :roll_eyes:
If I’m still don’t feel up to it, then speak with my gp first…or words to effect.

Anyway, I waited until a month before it was due up, then sent the renewal forms off along with my photo and mentioning my TIA. A few months later they wrote requesting permission to contact my gp and the hospital, which I gave. My new driving licence arrived in the post the following January…and I still wasn’t ready to drive. That came another 3/4 months later when cognition came back onboard :grin: Even then I played it safe and took short runs around quiet streets and cul-de-sacs with my hubby for the first few weeks 'til I regained my confidence to go it alone.

The DVLA were very good at keeping me updated all the way, the only holdups were from the gp and hospital.

2 Likes

Thank you I’m going to go on DVLA this morning and fill out the form then will go from there and work towards been able to drive again

4 Likes

Do you have a review diarised with a consultant and / or ophthalmologist? I had a 6-week review following my stroke (which included an ophthalmologist conducting a fieldman peripheral vision test), after which I was declared fit to drive, if I wished. I had limited physical effects but eyesight was one of things affected by my stroke so they were more wary of my ability to drive.

I should say that 7 months later I am still not driving for durations of more than 30 or so minutes as I find it too tiring / challenging. I have discussed with SA advisor self-referring myself to DVLA for a more robust fitness to drive test, but have so far not felt the need to do this and am self-managing.

Once the mandatory 4-week ban has passed, I wasn’t aware a GP themselves could tell you were not fit enough to drive, although they may have advised this given your physical symptoms but like any condition, if you believe you are not fit to drive, you have to notify the DVLA. Not sure what other people’s experience of this has been but there is good advice on the website.

https://www.stroke.org.uk/stroke/life-after/driving

2 Likes

I have an appointment with Stoke team on 8th July I will be 8 weeks post stroke but it’s a telephone appointment. To be honest I’m quite disappointed with the lack of support after my stroke and also how unhelpful my gp has been I’ve had the best service from adult social services.

3 Likes

@annie39 You are not alone to feel unsupported after a stroke, even if the aftercare is great, and it certainly isn’t that way for many, a stroke creates such uncertainty that it is only natural to want answers, even if they can’t always be given. I certainly felt / continue to feel that way. But as you will see from this forum, plenty of others are in or have been in the same position. If you haven’t I would urge you to reach out to the Stroke Association and your local advisor if you haven’t already - for me they were a lifeline and helped fill some of the void. It’s early days, stay strong.

3 Likes

Thank you yes I filled the form in for contact so hopefully someone should ring me next week I hope this community is great for support and your right it is early days I’m still trying to get my head around it happening

4 Likes

Hello I understood that you were obliged to tell the dvla if you have had a stroke not the doctor,I did tell them even though i was driving for 3 months confidently. My liscense was revoked as my specsavers eye test wasn’t up to the requirement. I have no other symptoms whatsoever and know i would be confident. Its really difficult relying on my husband as i am so independent. I will have another eye test on 5th july but i dont feel it has changed but stabilised quite fed up that i may have to wait a year before i get a response fro. The dvla.i know my doctor will root for me but…

1 Like

Hi @sandraplaskow

Yes you have an obligation to tell the DVLA if you are aware that your fitness to drive status has changed. No you are not obliged to tell your GP anything. Yes the GP is obliged to tell the DVLA if they become aware of a driver who’s medical fitness to drive has changed and yes an optician is obliged to inform the DVLA if they become aware of a driver whose eyesight has changed in a way that affects eligibility.

It’s a shame your licence was revoked. Reinstating it is harder than if you had surrendered it and subsequently felt your ability to drive had returned so had applied for its return :frowning: “water under…” Now I guess

Yeah the DVLA has a very bad reputation for being excessively slow. There is also a limit too the number of times you can appeal their decisions :frowning: Not sure if that operates per application or per licence holder

Great that’s your GP will root for you I’m sure all of us will too :slight_smile:

Caio
Simon

1 Like

I didn’t know you could ask to surrender your licence but i would not have done that as i felt i was fit enough ,we will see thanks simon

2 Likes

I wish you a speedy progression along the DVLAs procedures.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I got my license back last September after taking a test at Colchester .They said I wasn’t to ready to drive that was 4months after my stroke in July 2020.I booked 10 driving lessons in a manual car because i have an old sports car and a automatic every day car .But to drive the sports car I would have to take the test in manual .It does take time to get confidence back but at the same time it does make you try to keep your fitness up.I was aware how the driving lessons are different to how we drive, I learned in the Fire Brigade in 1969 using the engine to slow the vehicle ,now its all brakes no gear box.i was very nervous on the test but glad it was ok .I got license back from Swansea .It gives you back some things you can do and not rely on my wife.

2 Likes

been waiting 2 months for licence been told it might take another 2 months ,im buying that electric scooter ive been eyeing up

2 Likes