Collaboratively creating ideas for tools that facilitate connection between stroke survivors and their support network, whilst creating opportunities for collaborative rehabilitation - LONDON AND SURROUNDS ONLY

Hi all, we have a slightly different opportunity today for people in and around London.

Rather than participation in research, this is from our involvement network Stroke Voices in Research - if you’re interested in more things like this please do take a look and sign up as a member!

Dan, Research Involvement Lead (daniel.taylor@stroke.org.uk)

Collaboratively creating ideas for tools that facilitate connection between stroke survivors and their support network, whilst creating opportunities for collaborative rehabilitation
PEOPLE LIVING IN LONDON AND SURROUNDS ONLY

Aphasia accessible version here

Hi, I’m Tori! I am currently studying towards an MASc in Global Innovation Design, at Imperial College London and The Royal College of Art.

My focus is on designing products, systems, and services that enhance social good by fostering connection and communication.

I’m completing my final master project now, designing tools to better connect stroke survivors to their support network.

The project is an exploratory one, so it won’t lead to new tools being developed, but will generate a prototyped design concept for a new tool, new ideas, and knowledge together.

My final output will be exhibited at the Royal College of Art and Imperial College London in July 2024. You will be able to attend.

What is the research about?

You are invited to take part in this project which explores how we might create a tool that helps with connection between stroke survivors and their support network, encouraging them to collaboratively undertake rehabilitation activities.

I am interested in deeply understanding the lived experience of stroke survivors and their support networks. This is an exploratory project that will not lead to the development and implementation of a tool, but is a way of creating, prototyping new ideas, and sharing this experience.

There are various ways to take part. You can choose to participate in as many or as few of the activities as you’d like to.

One of the project principles is to use creative and collaborative methods. This means doing lots of fun activities together, and that you will play an active role in creating design solutions with me. It should all be very participatory, engaging, and exciting.

What will it involve?

Listed below are the different activities I’ll be running, I am looking to work with both stroke survivors and anyone in their support networks (including family carers, extended family, and involved friends). As mentioned before, you can participate in all activities, or pick and choose.

February & March 2024:

Interview – 60-90 minute informal discussion

Home-based Activities – mapping and recording exercises: drawing, documenting (for example by taking photos), and writing in a given workbook using given prompts and structures. Can be conducted alone, or with the researcher.

April – July 2024:

Co-design workshop – working together in a group to consider potential solutions.

Testing workshop – working together in a group or individually with the researcher to give feedback on concepts.

Validation Presentation – see the final output, and see the impact of your contributions, whilst having another chance to provide feedback.

Due to the nature of design research, and the fact that this project is in its early stages’, activities may be added or changed as the process continues, details of the engagement will always be agreed in advance of the meeting.

Who can take part?

I am looking to work with both stroke survivors and anyone in their support networks (including family carers, extended family, and involved friends).

I am looking to involve roughly 10 people. You will need to have some experience of either cognitive or physical rehabilitation or have an interest in this.

What will you get out of it?

Travel costs for anyone engaging will be covered.

I hope this will be a good opportunity to meet likeminded people in the stroke survivor community, working together to inform innovative solutions to relevant issues. I hope the engagements will be fun, creative, and a new experience for all involved!

How do you register your interest?

Please contact me at Tori Simpson (10013067@network.rca.ac.uk) to express interest by the 1st of March.

There are a few questions for you to answer when expressing interest that will help me incorporate you into this research effectively:

• Which of the listed activities would you like to participate in? You can participate in all activities if you’d like to, or express interest in just one or two that appeal.

• Where roughly do you live and are you willing to travel to workshops? Interviews will also ideally be conducted in person; I am happy to travel anywhere convenient for you. There is an online option for interviews and home-based activities, please mention if you would prefer this.

• What is your availability from February 26th – March 24th? Please give a rough indication of good days, or available timeslots.

• What kind of rehabilitation activities have you engaged in? What has been your experience of these?

• Do you have any initial ideas, or things you think are missing in collaborative activities between stroke survivors and family members?

• Do you have any support or accessibility needs I should take into account to support you to take part in the project?

2 Likes

I’m a great believer that activity of any sort can be therapeutic. I’m not in the right area to participate but I’m sure that this is something that could be valuable nation wide.

1 Like

I also am not in the proper area but am excited to see someone interested in input from those who live with stroke symptoms and those around them who are affected. That in itself is exciting to me. I hope you find the right people to help.

1 Like

Thanks both, I agree it’s a really interesting looking project and I know that Tori has some people taking part now :slight_smile:

There are still spaces for anyone else interested though!