Colds going around

3 colds in my house cant really avoid them just hope I don’t catch as don’t really want trip to hospital

5 Likes

…and nasty tummy bugs, too, at least in the SW

3 Likes

Take care all of you … my husband has had a real nasty chest infection which just won’t go away, from the middle of November … has had three lots of differing anti biotics, plus another for his lungs and now waiting to go for another chest x ray … nothing seems to shift it. We know of 3 others personally who have had a cold and a cough who also cannot seem to get rid of it …

3 Likes

@Ismeval hi Val
Sorry to hear that your husband has been struggling - I wish him good luck in getting appropriate care & something to help him shift that cough soon .

We haven’t seen you about much in the last few months I hope other than the chesty challenge everything else is okay :slight_smile: ¿?

@Mickyboy - Have I missed something that you are quite a cold to go into hospital? Or are you commenting on the in- accessibility of the GP service¿ Maybe you have COPD or some complication that makes a cold dangerous?

In any case I hope you stay healthy. Any extra burden is an unwelcome challenge when you need all of your calories and spoons directed towards reknitting the cognitive paths :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

Is that a winter norovirus?

1 Like

I’ve got a horrible cold. Haven’t had one for years as I was always out in the fresh air. Hopefully won’t last too much longer, but I am struggling as I have a fuzzy brain anyway.

3 Likes

@Mickyboy there are a lot of horrid colds going around at the moment. Really hope you manage to avoid catching it.

@Ismeval hope your husband gets better soon. He’s had more than his share I think xx

2 Likes

Thanks Simon… he hasn’t been really well since beginning of November when he spent 8 days in hospital with couple of infections which were bad enough we had to call an ambulance, but I think his chest condition is worse since he was in hospital … he is also diabetic and skinny as a rake, and these infections are raising his blood sugars, which make it difficult to get better quicker. He will be 80 this coming May and I just keep my fingers crossed things will look up for him … he was awake half the night last night just coughing and wheezing, which means me awake too … our GPs have been good whenever we phone, and tried antibiotics, different inhalers etc etc but he hasn’t much strength and tired a lot … I think back to when we both had strokes in 2022, he was really well despite a stroke and now this thing has just floored him , so I am not online soo much now, just try and keep up now and again, as there is just the 2 of us as our 2 children don’t have cars nor live near us … and if I think of this post as a conversation, then it’s the longest chat I have had for weeks, so thank you xx

5 Likes

Hi @Ismeval

How is he this weekend? I expect everything is giving you cause for anxiety which isn’t good for you either is it

Maybe reading and posting on here - IE being in conversation with a few folks helps?

Are there any local career support groups? I guess you investigated them.

Sleep is generally good. Hydration and nutrition to. I hope the antibiotics are being matched to his needs and beginning to have a positive effect

Thinking of you
Simon

1 Like

Thanks Simon … not good … he just cannot get rid of this chest infection, which also makes him very short of breath even moving about the house (and we have a small house) the extra inhaler doesn’t seem to be doing much … tried 3 different courses of antibiotics which didn’t clear it either. I bought a canister of oxygen but hey are useless and sooo many folk complained about them as whatever is in them lasted just 3 minutes … when our doc sent out the “recovery” team they said they wouldn’t give him oxygen unless he agreed to go to hospital, he eventually agreed, kept him there 4-5 hours, gave him oxygen, then said they needed the bed and he had to wait in the crowded A&E till the doc popped down to say his blood test was ok … I had been left sitting there for couple of hours till I complained and demanded to know where exactly he was …I think they just forgot I was waiting … so no good the doc sending the team out again as he will not go back to hospital, and no way should they have withheld oxygen unless he agree to go to hospital … so they would see an elderly man die because he didn’t agree like a child … totally disgraceful and had I been more like myself I would certainly have dealt with them … I don’t do meet and greet sort of help groups … I know there is a stroke support group meets likely, but even if I did these sort of things, I have mobility problems, can’t walk just a few yards, and not driving at the moment as my hip is really bad … I am hoping our daughter is coming down this weekend. She is clear of coughs and colds and really wants to see her dad as she is concerned about the possible outcome, but she doesn’t drive, so will wait and see … sorry if I am repeating myself but thank you for the reply …

2 Likes

Val,
It Sounds like you should talk to PALS in the NHS

The district nursing team sounds relevant too

It sounds to a layman’s ear if more concerted support is needed

Fingers crossed for you getting the help you need :crossed_fingers:

1 Like