Clopidogrel and the dentist! 🦷

Hi all,
I’m after some advice about visiting the dentist and taking Clopidogrel. I was told to wait 6 months after my stroke but I am in agony with a tooth that needs to come out. I’m 2.5 PS.
Any help would be appreciated :woozy_face: x

2 Likes

Hi @Sammy1

I’ve been to the dentist multiple times and am on Cloppi

There are multiple posts on here too from other people. My dentist hasn’t been fussed in the least & has been fully up to speed with the implications - which are minimal

Might be a different matter if you are on warfarin.

I also told my dentist the first time that since I had had a stroke I wouldn’t necessarily be able to endure as much between times he stopped for me to have a rest - in my case it turned out not to be something I needed to worry about but until you know How you will react may be you should make them aware to go cautiously

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

Thanks Simon, he said I’d need to wait 3/6 months. My only worry is I bled a lot before taking the medication so dread to think what I’d be like now.

2 Likes

@Sammy1 nothing worse than a sore tooth. Some dentists ask that you come off the medication for a few days before treatment. This would need discussed with Dr/consultant as your stroke wasn’t long ago. I take it you’re no longer on aspirin? Clove oil or oragel might give you some relief in the meantime.

Steve

3 Likes

@Sammy1 when i mentioned taking clopidogrel to my dentist he said they need to be aware but it shouldn’t cause any issues.

As @Steevo_fife says clove oil can help with toothache. It stinks but worked for me in the past. If you are in that much pain you need to speak to your dentist as i am sure they can help despite it not being 6 months since your stroke.

Sometimes people have to go to hospital dentist instead but its better than toothache :face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks Steve, yes finished aspirin 17 days after I came home. My teeth aren’t the problem at the moment it’s now my jaw and ear, but sure it’s coming from my teeth. I’ve got ice pack and co codamol on tap at the moment! X

3 Likes

Speak to your dentist tomorrow as they are the best qualified to weigh up all the risk factors and what’s to be done about Clopidogrel when the time comes to have the extraction.

Leaving the toothache for another 4mths may be the greater risk. Infection that can spread so the effects of a toothache can go beyond your mouth.

The dentist could even decide the extraction should be carried out at the local hospital if there are risks.
But you won’t know any of this until you phone them.

The dentist is the best qualified one for this answer. They know their meds, they’re one who’s going to have to remove the tooth, and you won’t be their first experience of a new born stroke survivor they’ve had to treat :wink:
Then, if you need it, get further clarification from your doctor. :smile:

Good luck

4 Likes

Great advice as always :sparkling_heart: xx

3 Likes

How have you got on today @Sammy1 ?

2 Likes

Hi, I called and explained my situation and said antibiotics normally help things calm down for a while (which gives me more PS time) I’m awaiting a call back from them. I have called again but they are waiting to hear back from the dentist. Thankfully the pain has eased a bit today only needed one painkiller as opposed to yesterday having ice packs and regular painkillers on hand all day. Thanks for checking in Simon x

2 Likes

Update!! I have anti biotics!! :partying_face: I’m hoping by the time it’s all calmed down I will have been to the hospital and can get advice from the consultant. Thanks for all your advice guys xx

4 Likes

Yay. Here’s to no toothache once the antibiotics start to weave their magic xx

3 Likes

Thank you lovely :pray: :blush: xx

1 Like

Glad you’re getting something sorted with it :smile: Is the tooth still going to have to come out?

2 Likes

Sadly two are!! Both next to each other! I hit 50 and my teeth went Gggrrrrrr menopause we will play up too!! I’ve never had as much trouble with them as I have the last 3 years!! :woman_facepalming:t2:
Thanks for asking lovely xx

2 Likes

Yep once you reach your 50s everything starts to go south :woozy_face:
Hope it’s not too traumatic for you :people_hugging:

2 Likes