Clive Wearing - The man with no short term memory

There are worse brain injuries than strokes, I wonder, which would we rather live with :thinking:

The Man With The Seven Second Memory

Clive Wearing - Wikipedia.

Phineas Gage is another man who had his whole personality changed to due to a head injury.

Both of men are fascinating to read about.

2 Likes

@EmeraldEyes
indeed very interesting

have you seen the Adam Sandler and Drew B film 50 first dates? cheesy but realish

the MRIs in it annoy me as they get lobes wrong and are of altzimers not etc etc sorry OCD!! ha ha

Dan ackroyd does get one right but itā€™s just a fluke

K

:wink: :polar_bear:

2 Likes

No I havenā€™t seen the movie but Iā€™ve read the synopsis so Iā€™m might try it this weekend. Wonder if they got the idea from Clive Wearingā€™s condition :thinking:

3 Likes

Quite possibly!!!

I think there is a ā€˜10 second tomā€™ or something

:polar_bear: :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen it 49 times but canā€™t remember what itā€™s about

:slight_smile:

Actually Iā€™ve seen it One and a half times and I remember virtually nothing,ā€¦

Interestingly my recall is bad but my recognition that I know something wants somebody else reminds me is extremely good

Itā€™s long been postulated that the human brain is capable of storing the whole life experience and indeed does so but that the recall mechanism is broken or at least very poorly implemented. Itā€™s also postulated - maybe even a fact - that there are powerful forgetting mechanisms - see the ebbinghaus effect - that are necessary filters to distinguish the important, determined by brain mechanisms as encountered repeatedly in different contexts- from the unimportant.
My daughter once to told me that the reason infants sleep a lot is that forgetting mechanisms operate during sleep- they are a housekeeping activity!

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

It must be like living with only the short term memory in effect, not being able to shift priority information to the long term memory. Itā€™s fascinating how effective procedural memory is, his case with music reminds me of riding my bicycle without any effort for up to an hour, soon after hospital discharge, but being unable to walk properly once dismounted.

2 Likes

And we think we have it tough. Must be so difficult for him & his family. He can play the piano well though even if he canā€™t remember it.

1 Like