Cinema of the Unexpected

Today, I went to the cinema with my partner, my youngest son, and two of his friends. We saw the Super Mario Brothers film, not my choice but I hadn’t been to the cinema since stroke and I will happily watch most kids films without complaint, unless it is Frozen. However, it was not the content of the film that had me reeling (pun intended) but the experience of being in the cinema post-stroke. For starters, I wasn’t prepared for the pounding, surround sound that bombards every nook and cranny of the ear. At one point, I had to put the pinkie fingers of my gloves into each ear just to muffle the sound. I was also sent into an uncomfortable whirl from the enormous screen that played havoc on my visual-spatial issues. Any visual that showed a birds eye view, had me feeling like I was doing the same from where I sat. Fortunately, the cinema was mostly empty, and I was able to slump across several seats, and fidget about without disturbing others. I massaged my feet, closed my eyes, shifted from one side to the other. It was exhausting. Afterwards, I sat in a chippy, eating a steak and ale pie with chips, and felt terrible. It’s that awful on the verge of fainting sensation that comes with extreme fatigue and pushing onwards because one has to.

But I do want to go again. My brain needs the exposure in order to re-establish pathways it is no longer familiar with. I am still alive. Nothing untoward happened. I didn’t faint. I didn’t shutdown. I got home, had a bath, a wee dram of rum, and will soon scramble into bed for a well deserved sleep.

7 Likes

My first public outing was 10mths post stroke…to a wedding up in Scotland :grimacing: Too many people, too many voices, too much crowd, I spent most of the time clutching my hubbies arm and clenching my teeth. By the end of the night my tinnitus could even be heard through the noise, the pressure in my head was ready to blow, my eyes felt like they were bulging out my head :woozy_face: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :exploding_head: But a good time was had by all :laughing:

I did actually enjoy it…so long I took frequent trips outside, but still, the following day the world was spinning for me all the way home…and I don’t even drink :laughing:

I learned my lesson and tried to stick to smaller functions after that. I’m a lot better now, but then again, I’ve not been to a wedding since. I have however, been to an Andre Rue concert since, and as loud and crowded as that was I seemed to manage just fine :sweat_smile:

Maybe next time you go the cinema, pick something you’d actually be interested in, that can help.

3 Likes

@EmeraldEyes, It’s my turn to pick the next film to see, I jested that I’d like to see the next effort from Peter Greenaway, the life of Bruegel. My partner said that it would have to be something that also interests nine year olds, and that the cinema we go to are unlikely to screen a Greenaway film. So, I turned to the lads in the back of the car and excitedly announced, “Who would like to see a film about Bruegel?”… Tumbleweeds.

@Loshy, we’ll at least the Super Mario Brothers theme tune makes for a jolly ear worm. It was not only the surround sound, but the visuals had me spinning on my seat at times. There is a trend for action-packed kids films to be rhythmically edited, so the perspectives and motion doesn’t stop. This batters my sensitive cognitive visual-spatial processes. I’m fine with it on a small screen, but my brain was not prepared for the large screen at all. And, instead of waiting around the foyer, to allow for a bathroom visit before going, they all took off to the car as if they had suddenly turned into Super Mario characters, leaving me to hobble behind with my stick, hoping that the chippy had restrooms. :woozy_face:

4 Likes

Peter Greenaway one of my all-time favourites
Haven’t been keeping up with his latest works
“Drowning by numbers” was my cup of tea

Went to a fish and chip restaurant over Easter…
too much clutter for me. I’ve been warned about noisy public places
Brain has enough to cope with … home cinema I can just about handle
but I think i prefer little screen over big screen

3 Likes

Drowning by Numbers, great film. He’s probably the last really active conceptual filmmaker, aside from Gilliam perhaps.

2 Likes

Even on TV its the adverts that have the volume blasting, you’d think they’d learn by now that they might manage to keep a bit of an audience if the lowered the volume so people don’t mute them or turn over. We don’t have the tv on much anymore, our noses are always stuck in a book these days :smile:

3 Likes

Maybe it’s time to retire those disco lights and glitter ball then Loshy :laughing:
Last night I was reminiscing about my eldest sister and her friends practicing their dancing to My Kookachoo by Alvin Stardust, before going out clubbing :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Rups
Thnx for sharing :slight_smile:
You’ve joined some dots for me.
I only recently encountered ‘to much noise’ ironically in a music therapy or ‘demo/taster’ session where an amplified acoustic guitar’s speaker was 5’ away.
I just realised that that and the cinema screen is likely to be a challenge since TV and as others have said the advert volume uplift can affect me. Everything on TV designed to make one jump has me 1/2 to the ceiling!

2 Likes

Advertisers feel they need to shout to get their message across. I listen to Classic FM every morning, it’s my alarm, but the adverts do nothing for the delightful music programmed. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

@Rups well done on surviving the cinema & being brave enough to want to go again. I have to turn the volume down on the home TV I am not sure I could manage a cinema visit. In fact the group of friends I meet with regularly mentioned a cinena visit. I politely declined & told them to have a nice time without me :face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_spiral_eyes:

Hope you enjoy your well earned rest.

2 Likes

Seconded - the ads are a reason to defect to R3¡

2 Likes

This one should be more pleasing to the ears for you :grin:

Hi @Rups. Sorry you had this experience but I may politely suggest you kind of asked for it with your film choice. Genuinely no offense intended. I have only been to the cinema once post stroke but as an 80’s teen I could not miss Top Gun Maverick. I was very worried for all things visual and aural but I managed without my glasses, with my head rested still at the right angle, - I blooming loved it. The music, Tom, the nostalgia, I felt like I’d ticked a normal person experience box and enjoyed it.
Make the next choice of film yours even if you go alone. Something you can immerse yourself in like the guilty pleasure it can be, Julia x

4 Likes

Frozen which my two young granddaughters made me watch was torture, everything about it drained me instantly. Then made to watch twaddle about magical unicorns getting married. America has produced fantastic films for kids in past but I find these modern films rather sickly and mindlessThought is it just me ? Was always a tolerant layback sort of chap and could cope with anything thrown at me. Can just about cope with theatre and have really enjoyed a couple of visits but think I’ll give cinema a bit of rest

2 Likes

Classical music helps my mind focus
But advertising is why I don’t listen to Classic FM
We need to filter out clutter

2 Likes

@JuliaH, unfortunately, I could not bow out of this one. We have arranged that each family member will choose a film to see, and we go as a family. There was also the added harrying of my childhood disinterest in the Super Mario Brothers franchise, which my youngest son has tried to sway over the years. I knew he would be secretly pleased if I watched the film and enjoyed it. I told him as much afterwards, and the triumphant smile on his face was worth the pain I endured :laughing:

@Pds, I think it is all a bit hit and miss for me, I enjoy some contemporary North American animations. My children like the Japanese Studio Ghibli films. Like you, I can tolerate most children’s films on some kind of level, but there are some that even my hardened tortoise-like shell can’t shield me from abhorring.

@pando, aye, just the other day, I was in the workshop, and focussed on a matter in hand. My partner walked in and began a long list of things we need to address, I had to pause her at the fourth point. “Okay, okay, that is enough for now, my brain is full.”. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

That could be a blessing or curse, I’ve had it both ways and had to endure things I really don’t care for but to please my children. But I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by some of their introductions…that’s how I got into “fan-girling”, as my daughter calls it, over Hamilton :blush:

1 Like

@Rups I had similar 3 weeks go went for a coffee with a friend and it was very busy, I could not concentrate on what was being said or hear . The noise from other people gave ne a headache, after 30 minutes I made my excuses and went home went t bed with blackout blinds closed no lights and slept I have spoken to my friend and we have agreed that when we go out again we will find a quiet place to, we laughed we should go to the worst coffee shop then won’t get disturbed

2 Likes

Aye, quiet places can benefit from the custom of folk like us. I have a friend who always used to like to take me out to noisy pubs. He was a bit of a people watcher. Almost two years after stroke, he asked if we could go out for a pint. I agreed. It was one of his lively pubs. It was unbearable. The next time he asked me, I told him that I would go for a pint, but only at the quiet pub in the village. He has never asked me since. :thinking:

3 Likes

Never one for crowds or noisy places unless unavoidable now definitely not. Made mistake of going to a folk club, knew it was a mistake when I saw two sets of drums and amplifiers being brought in. This is not folk music as I remembered it’s when they started playing it almost blew me out of hall, crept back to car a shattered man but second visit three girls the Honey Bees gave me back my faith and confidence in folk

3 Likes