Carparks

How do you cope or manage with car park tickets entry systems, the ones where you get your car as close as possible to the machine and take a ticket before the barrier is raised? I ask because I regularly pull up a little too far from the machine and I have limited dexterity in my right hand which restricts the ability to grab the ticket.

2 Likes

I would contact the car park operator ( before you arrive if possible ) and ask them for their disability policy.

2 Likes

Those ticket barriers are a nightmare at best of times. Don’t know if it’ll help but there is usually a help button so if you are struggling press it & see what they suggest or as @Janetb says ask for their disability policy.

1 Like

I wonder if one of these would work?

A folding grabber:

I got those images off ebay uk

2 Likes

That’s actually a really good question that hadn’t crossed my consciousness yet because I’m not yet back driving !

Since they are going to be on my right hand side they’re going to be a challenge. Just exercising my imagination I think I’m going to drive further over to the left and drive sufficiently passed the machine that I can open the car door and then I’m going to sit on the side of my seat with both feet out of the car and reach with my left hand at least to start with. I will try to reach with my right hand - I’ll certainly aim to get proficient.

Where I sit at the kitchen table in the morning my medication is in a basket off to my right hand side full arms stretch away which is a exercise opportunity to fully extend my right arm and then pick up the basket with the fingers of my right hand providing the grip. I’m equal to it most mornings now. Some mornings I almost feel as if I’m doing it with pre stroke competency, other mornings I definitely notice all the wrong muscles are turned on, the fingers move incredibly slowly the grip is weak but it going in the right direction .

So those parking barriers are going to be a new source of therapy for me although they are still in the future

Caio simon

1 Like

I would also contact the local council, especially if the carpark operator is operating the carpark on behalf of the council.

1 Like

@im72 I have the same problem at the drive-thru ATM bank machines. I know it is tough to do, but get as close, really close as possible. Most cars have a collapsible side mirror and you can just reach out and collapse it. Then retract when you are thru.

2 Likes

It is a challenge. I tend not to use these machines very often (there aren’t many decent shops left to make it worth my while), but as I can’t use my right arm/hand, I have to get as close as possible to the machine, have my window already open (if possible) and twist my body so I can reach over with my left hand, to take the ticket. It’s just as difficult for me to press the call button.

2 Likes

I’ve got of a little like that but it doesn’t close tight enough to hold a ticket when grabbing with it. Maybe I’ll get a replacement.

2 Likes

@im72

I wondered if that might be a problem. I hope you get it sorted. Dropping the ticket as you attempted to retrieve it would be the worst thing ever.

2 Likes

Defo the worst thing ever, with my stroke a close second! :wink:

3 Likes