Busy today - White bread loaf and Sweet Fruit loaf

I’ll post the recipes shortly.

Pictures too.

Busy doing some baking right now.

I’ve got a Zoom session to open in a few minutes, my loaf is almost baked, there’ll be a bit of rushing about for a little while soon.

Thanks for the pictures Hilary.

7 Likes

two recipes both very nice

the white bread is nice with marmalade, pate, tuna, salad, butter, not all on the same slice

still to try the fruit loaf but very nice aromas.

2 Likes

As ever that looks yummy @Bobbi. I do like a fruit loaf and love the smell of freshly baking bread. Yum

2 Likes

@Mrs5K
We haven’t cut into the fruit loaf yet, that will be later.
I’m looking forward to trying it.

1 Like

That looks great Bob,can’t beat real fresh bread even just with butter on it🤤

1 Like

@Justin
That loaf has completely gone having supplied sandwiches for a few of days.
We started on the fruit loaf last night.
We have a new loaf made yesterday, with a slightly adjusted recipe.
These loaves don’t last long, but at 40-50 pence a loaf they are very cost effective.

The fruit loaf costs a bit more because of the extra ingredient, but it is still very cost effective.

Now the warmer weather is here I might have a go at sourdough again. I have some starter that has been hibernating in the fridge since last year. It will need a bit of prodding to wake up but I know it is viable.

1 Like

I try and cook everyday,it helps keep me sane.I used to cook for my kids everyday and was cooking dinner for my kids when I had my stroke and I managed to finish it too.Never tried baking bread though and I love fruit loaf(again with just butter)and would love the recipe to try it.Dont have a ninja though,would it work in the oven?

1 Like

@Justin
The bread recipes I adjust to suit my machines. So I set the dough up in a bread machine and proof and steam bake it in a Ninja Foodi, this is just for convenience really.
The original recipes were for either bread machine alone or for baking in a regular domestic oven.
The bread in the oven was originally made as a cob loaf when I did it that way. It is top quality bread at a very cheap price compared with supermarket loaves. Bread flour might look expensive but when you consider that you can get 3-4 loaves out of a bag that costs 40-60 pence a loaf that is not bad at all. Also you are getting fresh food with no additives.

I suppose supermarket food saves preparation time for those who are busy.

If you want to give bread making a try then there are lots of YouTube videos online. Here’s a link to a retired cook from the North East. His instructions are excellent and he covers all sorts of ordinary food we eat here in the UK.

I recommend the following recipe as a good place to start.

This is the ingredients list. The components are available on all supermarket shelves.

• 250g / 8.8oz Strong white bread flour
  • 250g / 8.8oz Plain or all-purpose flour
  • 380g / 380mls Lukewarm water / 40°C / 104°F
  • 4g / 1tsp Instant or active dried yeast
  • 8g / 1tsp Salt
  • 6g / 1tsp Sugar

This is a link to the video for this loaf, a good watch and a really nice bread you should be able to make yourself…
Click twice.

This links to the written recipe:
Crusty loaf - written recipe

I think working in the kitchen is a very useful and rewarding activity.

nice one bob,ill give it a go

1 Like

You all eat some weird stuff. It was getting stranger before you clarified (not all on the same slice)!

I was going to steal your recipe until you said you used a machine. Now I will have to do it the old fashioned way or buy a bread machine.

Now, do you really eat beans on toast for breakfast? And what is Marmite?

3 Likes

Not always for breakfast, sometimes for lunch or supper even if you’ve had a big lunch. :grin: But I’ll leave the Marmite to the experts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

@DeAnn

The use of machinery in bread making is not essential.

Beans on Toast Anglais.

Toast a piece of sliced bread, butter.
Place on a warm plate.
Warm beans fresh from a can.
Pour over hot buttered toast.
Serve with knife and fork.
Any time.
Very much a meal for one.

Serve on a bit of slate and charge £60 for it…

Extras

• Stir in a spoonful of mustard.
  • Shake over some Worcestershire Sauce.
  • Sprinkle over with grated cheese.
  • Toast the cheese.
  • Arrange rashers of streaky bacon over.
  • Add a poached egg.
  • All or any of the above using a baked potato instead of toast.

Marmite, however, is a closely guarded secret, hated by many.
It should be added to your dictionary and possibly to your bucket list.
In its down under form it is called Vegemite, a rip off of the original extremely dark brown gooey material.
Hilary calls it poo in a jar, I love it, on toast and as a secret ingredient in recipes.
It is always on our shopping list.

Just a hint, it is waste material from a brewery. Very weird !

2 Likes

I think I will have to pass on beans, Marmite and Vegemite. The only poo in a jar I think I want is called Nutella…Chocolate Macadamia Nut yumminess, ruined only by putting it on bread. Best serves in brownies or over ice cream for me. I think Americans are spoiled when it comes to food. We are mostly tall and a bit on the chubby side, mostly diabetic…although I am one of the lucky few free of that madness, so far. I can’t help it, I really like my veggies. Beans are for chili or baking in barbeque sauce with bacon and maybe sausage. ; )

2 Likes

@DeAnn

Hilary would agree about the Nutella which she likes to combine with Peanut Butter on a slice or two of bread.

Home made marmalade beats all that, every day, any day.

Even the middle of the night.

3 Likes

You have me there! I love marmalade.

2 Likes

Hello @DeAnn. Have to wade in here. Marmite is the food of the God’s. I cannot live without it. My husband hates it. Excellent source of vit B12. Forms a good stock replacement for those of us that don’t eat meat. If you ever get the opportunity try it, see which camp you fall into. There is no grey area with this one :yum: Julia x

5 Likes

I wonder if there’s a gene that determines whether you find marmite palatable or not like there is with coriander ?
@DeAnn marmite is so known here as something people have black and white opinions of ie you either love or hate it, that there is actually a phrase: “It’s a bit of a marmite thing, You either love it or hate it”

5 Likes

@JuliaH
The gods win !!

3 Likes

I love marmite too @DeAnn although it does seem to be a love or hate thing.

I’m not a nutella fan. I’m one of those rare creatures who’d rather eat crisps than chocolate. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Beans on toast with grated mature cheddar🤤delicious.Marmite is a very umami,it’s a yeast extract spread,it’s an odd sounding thing but marmite on toast is gorgeous.

3 Likes