Brace for foot

Hi. As some of you on here know - and are probably fed up with hearing about! I have a foot which turns outwards and causes me to fall since I had a stroke 6 months ago. I have had 2 hard plastic type braces which didn’t help and have now been told I need a heavier metal one. Has anyone any experience of these? In my mind it’s a huge heavy lump of metal covering my whole leg. Help!!! Any advice please.

1 Like

I don’t know for sure as I have a carbon fibre AFO but I imagine a metal one is similar to the plastic ones but a lot sturdier. It can’t be too heavy else you wouldn’t be able to lift your leg to walk.

1 Like

Yes that’s true! Appointment not for another 4 weeks so have time to investigate further! Thanks Ann. Just had plaster taken off my wrist - hoorah! Janet

1 Like

I dare say there will be a slight weight difference but nothing your body won’t naturally adjust to. I can only speculate it will be something along the of these maybe:
…although these do appear to go through the heal of the boot so I could be wrong. But something along those line perhaps.
Looking online I can’t find any other examples without the boot.

Look online for imagery for ankle calliper.

Yay Janet (@Apple) that’s fantastic news. Bet your wrist feels great now its free again :grin:

Well I wont be stomping around in the summer with that boot on!!! Will make enquiries from Physio on Friday!

1 Like

Hi Loraine. Yes good to have cast off at last. Still having physio from the stroke team and yes Sarah has plans for my wrist!! Been given a booklet with exercises for me to do. Must be good and do them regularly! Husband will crack the whip! Janet

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I suggest you do that. We get these impressions in our minds and start imagining what they were like say back in the 1960s :laughing: I think we’ve moved on from those days :grin:

I prefer a brace for my foot

1 Like

What type of brace do you have @msporshakimberly, and is it metal? I think you too have drop foot don’t you :thinking: Are you prone to going going over on your ankle with it?

I had mine especially made by foot doctor he and his assistant has take Feet impressions of your feet

1 Like

Thanks for responding @msporshakimberly :smile:
Is yours metal or hard plastic? Is it light weight?

Thanks - will take a look at that. At the moment I have an appointment on May 19th to see the Orthotics man at our local hospital so will see what he says

1 Like

Cause I had foot dropped on both just asked your doctor.

1 Like