Blood pressure

Yes, even the nurses at our surgery usually chat for a while, do other things and get you to relax before taking blood pressure readings :smile:

2 Likes

All the readings are taken when we are super relaxed doing nothing. Obviously it’s not easy to do but I would suggest the ,other key ones are really when we were doing something, stressed and in fight or flight mode.

If your body didn’t move to higher BP and surges of adrenaline, chances are you are not out running that sabre tooth tiger.

Bleeds on the brains are directly related to pressure.
What I didn’t realise is there is a link to clots as well.
“High blood pressure damages the walls of your arteries. This makes them more likely to develop deposits of plaque that harden, narrow or block your arteries”

3 Likes

@Nigelglos you are too right mate.
I was surprised at this:
New research published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine suggests that isometric exercises are better than other forms of exercise at lowering blood pressure. Isometric exercises, such as wall squats and planks, involve holding your body still while tensing your muscles for set periods of time.Aug 9, 2023

I would have thought that straining against an un-movable object would cause a spike in pressure?

1 Like

I can’t help wondering about some of the things on the net @Outlander.
“The effects of exercise are most noticeable during and immediately after a workout. Lowered blood pressure can be most significant right after you work out.”
During a workout, really, as you say, that makes no sense.
There is no context here to after a workout. Is this compared to the blood pumping round as you exercise ?

There seem to be numerous foods which might help, dark chocolate, pistachios, bananas. Bananas a natural antidote to the constipation properties of many medicines. Beetroot juice is another according to the heart foundation. Can’t believe chips isn’t on there, that’s rubbish !

The chances are a better diet, removing salt, alcohol and some exercise will help and maybe every one will have red lips from the beetroot. Thinly sliced strings of beetroot in a salad is barely noticeable.

2 Likes

They sell a product here called superbeets; a powdered mixture and it is supposed to increase nitric oxide which can open the blood vessels. I love cooked beets and I eat a banana every day. Every morning I put a tablespoon of 100% cocoa in my coffee. It is very good for the brain and fights dementia.
Chips? I go to a little diner near me that has the best chips and I’m sure they are making my recovery speedy :grin:
and there is this:

Nitric oxide is a gas we make within our own bodies from nitrates and nitrites found naturally in our foods. Good sources include dark green leafy vegetables like kale, arugula, Swiss Chard and spinach. Other great sources include beets, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli.

Nitric oxide lowers blood pressure.

Great talking with you @Nigelglos

2 Likes

After some months of discussions & blood tests after changes etc my Candesartan had been moved up 32 mg a day but wasn’t seeming to help as my BP at the and of last week was a 190 over 90

Even on my best days I don’t seem to be able to get it down below 150

So I filled in the form on the practise website at GPs and they gave me an appointment for today

the long and the short of it is " don’t take and Candesartan take the Lisinopril" My enquiry about aches and cramps was will take some CK readings when you do the kidney blood test for the new blood pressure medicine so no change to that for the next couple of weeks

So from this evening because apparently it makes you dizzy when you first take it I’ve got 10 mg of something new with a long list of potential side effects

There are only two other posts mentioning lisinopril - but I imagine more people are taking it so I wonder how folk are getting on with it?

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Out of interest, have any of your blood tests shown low potassium?

2 Likes

My hubby takes lisinopril (he hasn’t had a stroke just has high BP). It made him very dizzy for the first few days but has been on it for a few years now with no issues & a good BP reading.

Hope it works for you.

2 Likes

I was on Lisinopril maybe 15years ago but it made my tongue swell up so was taken off it. Don’t recall having any other side effects.

2 Likes

Wasn’t mentioned today
I’ll ask next time
:slight_smile: thnx @Mrs5K
:slight_smile: thnx @Trace57

2 Likes

Hi everyone

So far I’ve taken two of these new BP meds: yesterday and the day before just before bedtime and my blood pressure is now in the 145 85 @55bpm region seated and the 145 95 65bpm region standing

Probably because I’ve taken them at bedtime I haven’t had overt dizziness but I did wonder yesterday whether I was more foggy headed and on occasion wobbly. Ankles are still at the normal proportions but I’ll keep an eye on them

this is a way to record and review later

Thrive on everyone
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s looking a lot better. :grin:

2 Likes

That could just be your body needing to adjust to the new meds and bp adjustment Simon. I’ve had that myself, so has hubby when started on new bp tab. but it only lasted a few days. Give it a week to see how it goes, of course if it gets much worse over the coming days then speak to your doctor :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Those numbers are definitely an improvement. Hopefully after taking a few more it’ll come down a bit further. I can’t remember if you said you had to go back for a review…I suspect so as that would be usual.

1 Like

Yes after 2 weeks and blood test
:slight_smile:

2 Likes