Best car to transport Dad after stroke

Hi all!
I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations on a car that has easy access for a person who’s had a stroke. My 78yr old Dad had his a month ago and is learning to walk again with a frame. I’d love to think at some point he could get in a car and be taken out with family. Not to mention, the inevitable hospital and GP appointments.
At the moment we have a 2-door BMW, which was already becoming something of an issue to get my two parents into (!) but we are seriously thinking of trading in for a more elderly, mobility-limited friendly version. I don’t want a full-on disability vehicle but would appreciate your suggestions/experiences.

@Nipper72 welcome although sorry to hear your dad has had a stroke. I can’t recommend a specific car but would suggest that you need a vehicle with higher seats as they’re easier to get in & out of. Something with a fairly wide door too & a large boot for all the aids you might need to carry.
My sister has a Kia Nero which she can fit her hubby’s wheelchair in & he seems to be able to get in & out ok.

1 Like

Hi there.
Sorry to hear about your Dad’s stroke. I’m sure his walking will improve with time. I can only speak from my experiences. Just after my stroke, my husband bought a Dacia, which should have been easy to get into, but the seats were too high and my first attempts at getting in resulted in my sliding (gracefully) down the side of the car and onto the ground. After a few months I bought a Toyota Yaris, which is much easier to get into, but a tight squeeze in the back, for a wheelchair (which, fortunately, I no longer need). My thoughts for an ideal car would be to -

  1. Get your Dad to sit in various chairs to see which height he finds easiest to get in and out of, then use this as a gauge for the seat height in a car.
  2. check the boot space of the car for height, using a wheelchair, to check the chair is easy to put in/take out (and the door closes when it is in).
    Such a shame the Beemer has to go, but it won’t be suitable (I still have trouble getting in and out of my friend’s one 8 years on and I’m a lot younger than your Dad!)
    Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:
1 Like

Hi MinnieB.
Good to hear you have made progress after your stroke and thanks for taking the time to reply.
I’ve seen both the Dacia and Yaris mentioned elsewhere and I’ve had concerns both about seat height and room in the back.
So I guess we maybe wait a little and see how he goes and then maybe do as you suggest and see what he can get into easily. Plus I need to be able to drive it - I don’t want to have to handle a tank!
All the best xxxx

Thanks! Will check them out. Xxx

We have always had a Skoda. Before I left hospital six years ago, I was taught how to get into a car by holding the top of the passenger door and going in slowly bum first. My only problem is using this technique to get into a low car seat.


Shwmae @Nipper72, my mother-in-law who is 79 bought a Yarris hybrid because the seats are high so she can get in and out easily with her stick, and the doors are wide for easy access. It might help your choice. She hasn’t had a stroke but has physical impediments.

1 Like

Thank you. Will have to take a look at a Yaris, gets lots of mentions.

Hello @Nipper72. My husband has a 2 door Audi coupe which has been a nightmare getting in and out of as the seats are just too low. I would have accepted being shoe horned into it on my discharge as I had been diagnosed with Covid that morning and couldn’t have got home any other way ( my husband was vaccinated and had already had it). I have recently bought a Vauxhall Mokka which has a great easy seating height (but I have long legs), a decent sized boot and 4 doors. I used to drive a Honda CRV which was a bit tank like but I think it is the only reason I am still here (stroke caused by RTA). I wanted something smaller and the Mokka is a good compromise. Very happy with my purchase and no more moaning getting in/out of the Audi. Good luck, Julia

1 Like

Thanks Julia for your comprehensive reply! I’ll add the Mokka to the list to investigate. Good to hear you are back driving after your stroke.

1 Like

Hi Nipper, if you take a look at disabled aids from various online care shops they do have devices to assist with getting in and out of vehicles

1 Like

Hi @Nipper72 ,

Welcome to the forum and best wishes to you and your Dad.

With regards to transport, we have gone with the Taxi option. There are taxis available with mobility options and if you check with them first, I would like to think they will be able to tell you whether they are equipped or not.

Also, not sure if where you live has a “Dial-a-ride” service which is run by the local council - if so, this may be suitable.

The taxi has worked for us for personal use.

For visits to the hospital, we get our GP to book an ambulance transfer which takes us to and from the hospital - only disadvantage is you have to be ready for up to 2 hours before the appointment, but somehow this has not really been an issue for us.

With regards to GP - we ask our GP to do a home visit!!!

If your Dad has difficulty walking, the GP can come to see him.

I hope this helps, though if it’s a car you want then I guess it won’t.

Best wishes,


1 Like

Thanks ManjiB.
All great options to bear in mind!
My dad is improving so hopefully we will adjust. Our family is spread out so being able to have a car we can get him and Mum in for visits would be good.
Thanks again for outlining so many options - very helpful! :blush:

@Nipper72 - you’re most welcome. Our needs vary and so, it seems with the car most likley to be the mode of transport to best meet your family’s needs. Your Dad will soon walk everywhere :smiley:

1 Like

Hello ManjiB, very informative post specially as a newby :wink:

May I ask, do you know of companies that will provide transportation but also helping me to go downstairs in my wheelchair? My flat is 1st floor so I will need go places but not sure they will provide assistance in such cases?

1 Like

Hi @Nigel1228

Welcome to the forum - although I see you join in July, but this is your first post.

Are you enquiring about navigating from your flat downstairs because you’re just transitioning from hospital to home?

I would suggest you contact your local adult social services and ask them about support. I would also contact local taxi companies if that is your enquiring about and explain your situation and ask whether that is something they know how to support?

also guidance from sources such as disability rights UK Guidance & Resources | Disability Rights UK
Ps manji May be around sometime soon but they haven’t been here since early October :slight_smile:


Hello Simon,

Thanks for the warm welcome :wink:

I was enquiring about a company that not only provides transportation but also can help customers out of the homes - in my case, from my flat (downstairs/upstairs) when I need to go out to do errands or just to go out (non medical) for dinner or an event? I hope I make sense so thanks for your help.


@Nigel1228 just popping by to say hi & welcome to the forum. Hope you are getting on well.


Hi @Nigel1228

Welcome to our community. I feel privileged that your first post in this forum is a reply to one of my posts :grinning:

I don’t have anything further to add to what others including @SimonInEdinburgh have already said. I think the best starting point is indeed your local adult social services who I think would then assign an OT (Occupational Therapist) to help assess your care needs.

We also found the Stroke Association very helpful in the early days – they did a home visit and went through pretty much everything that you might need to get yourself “on the road to recovery”.

As has already been said, this forum and community is an excellent place to come for help and information. It won’t be long before experiences you share with us will help other newbies who come on board :smiley:

Wishing you all the best.


Hi @Nigel1228

I am adding this additional note to say if you live in London, you might be able to use Dial-a-Ride whose drivers help people to and from the mini-bus they provide for transport. That said, I don’t know how it works for someone living on the first floor.

Also, I don’t know if equivalent services exist outside of London, but certainly your local adult social services or the Stroke Association may well be able to help.