Bad day at Black Rock

Hi Folks,

I had a TIA three weeks ago, and had a check up with my GP today, who has a 'different' view on fatigue.

His idea was that I should go out for a brisk walk of at least an hour each day, and if i felt 'a bit tired ' I should push on and do more and more things, not just sit about the place.

The wife was listening to all this and so I was dragged out for a march around the town in the afternoon.

I now feel like death warmed over, and I now have zero trust in any Drs.

Sorry to have a moan, but I'm fed right up...

Tony

Hi Tony - I know I've already sent a reply to this post, but I can't help but feel your GP's advice was rather reckless, and could have potentially led to you getting into difficulties.  Don't feel despondent - contact the stroke team who have far more specific knowledge and experience than a GP.   Don't ingore your brain's call for a rest, you are already experiencing the effects of over-doing it.  

Take care, rest up and then do what you feel able to accomplish on any given day, you can always increase activity as you grow stronger.

I agree with NicABella....contact your stroke team. I have daily fatigue and have to rest. On the odd occasion I don’t I also feel like death warmed up.

Thank you JJM - I think I shot from the hip, and I was on a bit of a rant, so I'm pleased that a SS has made a comment from personal experience.  Even though Tony had  a TIA, not full stroke, I was fairly certain that the same SF was a feature.

Clearly we're back to the public and the medical profession having adequate knowledge of stroke, and the need for education in this area.

Hi Tony sorry to hear about you TIA.  My stroke was over a year ago and I still get the chronic fatigue, and it is nothing like being tired its ten times worse.  Listen to your body and if you need to rest then do.  I got a watch thing that recorded how many steps I did each day, I started around 100 just going round the house then tried to increase from  there.  I can now average around 3000 but am still tired.  It takes time.  Contact your stroke coordinator who can help with lots of advice.  Your GP obviously has no experience where strokes are concerned, my GP is fantastic, he encourages but tells me only to do what I fell I am able to do. 

It's important that you explain to family and friends how stroke fatigue effects you and how different it is from just being tired.  So that they can understand.

Good luck with your stroke journey, everyones is different.

Wendy

Hi, Tony. What you will find by trawling through the various messages in the Forums section is that no two people recover at the same pace or in the same way. We all have our own 'story'. Worth reading as many as you can, and take hints and tips as you see fit. Try some of them out and see what works, and what doesn't, for yourself.

One common thread is that the mental impact of a TIA or full stroke are downplayed all to often. Fatigue, a drop in confidence, low morale/mood, relationship issues and emotional difficulties are all prevalent. Staying positive helps, but may be easier said than done. Tell those closest to you how you are feeling - they will want to help, but may be nervous about upsetting you or sounding condescending. If you open the door, most will walk in.

I'm going to be changing GP's today if poss. All this has been frightening and horrible, and I've had enough of Drs...

Hi 

I know this tiredness can be a real issue.  I had my stroke in July some days are good and on the bad days it is bad.  I take things a lot slower now and don't rush things, I pace all my jobs around the house.  The thing I am suffering with is dreadful deliberating headaches. Does anyone else suffer from these. Anyway I hope you find a doctor who understands.  Take  care  Jenny

Hope this works out for you, and you find a more knowledgeable GP, or at least one with greater experience.  Go armed with the knowledge you have gained from contributors to this site, and hopefully you will have a better dialogue.

Best wishes smiley