Assessing New Methods of Identifying Insomnia after Stroke

What is the study about?

Sleep disorders such as insomnia are more common amongst stroke survivors than the general population. However, the ways we test for this can vary, making it hard to estimate.

This means it would be valuable to develop a more common approach to diagnosis. A recent tool, called The Sleep Condition Indicator, has been shown to work well for this but its usefulness with people who have had stroke has not been examined.

We hope to learn whether this method can improve timely diagnoses and early intervention of post-stroke insomnia in clinical and research settings.

Who can take part

You are invited to take part as someone who has experienced a stroke, and who has responded to one of our adverts aiming to recruit participants. You are welcome to take part whether you are a good sleeper, or if you have difficulties with sleep.

You can take part in this study if:

**You are aged 18 or older.
**You have experienced at least one stroke.
**You can read, understand, and write in English.
**You are not currently working nightshifts.
**You are not currently jetlagged (disrupted sleep after travelling across two or more time zones in the last week).
**You are not currently undergoing treatment that may interfere with sleep, such as treatment for cancer.

What will it Involve?

You can use the link below to visit an online survey that consists of several questionnaires.

Click here to take part!

The first questionnaire will gather some basic information about yourself, your stroke, and your current living arrangements.

Following this, you will be asked questions relating to your sleep, mental health, and difficulties after your stroke.

In total, this should take around 20 to 25 minutes to complete.

If you’d like to take part but feel you may struggle to do so in a web-based format, please contact the lead researcher (d.mclaren.2@research.gla.ac.uk).

What are the possible benefits of taking part?

The information you provide will give us a better understanding of how to effectively diagnose insomnia in people with stroke, helping to reduce risks associated with poor sleep after stroke.

1 Like

Will look and complete this tomorrow. Thank you for doing this, GPs hear I can’t sleep and just want to prescribe sleeping tablets without looking at the cause. Julia

2 Likes

Hi Julia I feel you frustration I am retired nurse and work nights for last fifteen years long nights at work on busy orthopaedics ward so my time clock it’s totally mess up and since I had my stroke year ago on Boxing Day it as cause issues with my sleep pattern to it as settled slightly in last couple months but it leaves you feeling exhausted and totally tired during day at times I did survey you put but do feel for you I hope it dose settle down for you take care have wonderful joyful peaceful Christmas with your family or friends take care stay safe stay warm best wishes Kaz61

1 Like