Asphasia and other speech issues

I have dysarthria and find it hard to speak and wondered if anyone would be interested in a safe space to practice speech in a safe place on zoom?

2 Likes

Me and @SimonInEdinburgh initially to take on admin on this

2 Likes

That’s an excellent idea :slightly_smiling_face:
Have you looked into aphasia groups in your own area at all? I attend one once a month which is run by the Stroke Association.

To be honest I found it a relief as much as anything :slightly_smiling_face: We we’re all in the same boat, some worse, some better than me, and I didn’t have to explain, apologies or excuse my speech. We even do trips out together which I found really helped boost my confidence to try talking in the beginning, and you can learn some useful coping strategies from the other members.

2 Likes

I hope it can just be a safe space for people who will get used to who is there and maybe can’t get out. Zoom’s loads cheaper than taxis

3 Likes

That’s fair enough, something to consider further down the line maybe :slightly_smiling_face:

In the meantime Zoom is a good idea I wouldn’t mind joining in if we can sort a time that’s suitable :smile:

2 Likes

What is suitable for folk?

we held the first one at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I know at the moment I’m free this Sunday and next Thursday…for how long is anyone’s guess :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

On Thursday like every Thursday has a cafe in the afternoon but it that one isn’t reserved for aphasia - It has been & will always be open to all :slight_smile:

The trick is defined a few people and we have two so far :slight_smile:
Simon

2 Likes

Yes the normal Thursday group can be a little overwhelming, and wouldn’t achieve much for aphasia if too many.

The days I’ve given are only because next week is turning out to be a particularly busy week for me. Only because I’ve signed myself up for a couple of short fitness courses for run by AgeUK, and now I’m even struggling to fit in the gym :laughing:

1 Like

My apashia is on and off. Sometimes I have no problem, others, it is there in stuttering the…the…the’s…while I try to find a word, or a thought that was just there. I generally get that when I am most tired or overwhelmed. Because it is not all the time, I will generally just give up and save the thought and the socializing for a later day, if it comes up again. If I had it all the time, I would not, as I know practice got me to the point I am at. (remember we are all different and do not take that as a judgement of any kind) Talking can cause me to tire easily, as well as listening, or thinking can. If you would like, I will try to join you once you find a time that works. I explained myself so you could decide if I am Aphased enough to join.

2 Likes

Ok we have a choice to make :slight_smile:

We can confirm on Wednesday at 11:00 . I am content with that :slight_smile:

But

I have heard of a group also meeting at 11 on Wednesday - It will be there first group meeting
I’ll reach out to the registration address which is WestKent@differentstrokes.co.uk

Shall we pick a different time? A different day day? And then we could attend theirs as well or should we just go ahead and see about coordinating w/ them at a later date? I don’t yet know whether they are going to do every week.

I’ve always already asked in a chat support group that broke away from different strokes a few weeks ago if anybody would like to come and there is one person who can speak but not understand well and one person with what they say is very slow and difficult speech and a few others that made the normal oh no I don’t have that type comment.

Thoughts welcome - particularly @garethc970 ?

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Yeah another days probably better

1 Like

I’m with @garethc970, a different day for sure, as 2 in one day might be too much for some.

1 Like

Hi everybody

Well I got a reply back from the Kent group and they are going to meet in the shopping centre in person so Wednesday 11:00 still stands as convenient for me but I am more than happy to do something tomorrow Tuesday or Friday

I also spoke to the manager at the aphasia society and he’s going to email me some more details but there’s an open invite to register for their online cafes too. Registration because they like to assess the match between attendees places on the post stroke journey

More when I get it

Can we confirm Tuesday 1430, Wednesday 11, or Friday 11 ? :slight_smile:
I’ll go with the whatever suits Gareth and everybody else can fit in :slight_smile:

Wednesday is my preference

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Friday at 11 say? @SimonInEdinburgh

Find by me - that’s agreed then :slight_smile:

Ok?

1 Like

Can I join please? It sounds like a great idea.

2 Likes

Of course you can @Louise_W as can anybody else who wants to .

Friday tomorrow at 11:00
By the slightly misnamed
https://bit.ly/StrokeThuCafes

Also the Thursday 1:00 cafe which also uses the above link will run this afternoon

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes