Aquatic milestone

I’ve been attending the ‘Wellbeing’ swimming session once weekly since about September at the local baths. It’s a quiet hour for people with physical and mental issues, so nobody ploughing up and down and no kids jumping in… Up until now I’ve been keeping myself from drowning with one of those coloured noodle things under my arms but this week I finally managed to do it, I swam a whole width of the pool with no support. One small step but I thought it was worthy of a mention. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Thats fantastic @Strings thank you sharing your achievement I love to read about them. I hope you were proud of yourself x

2 Likes

Well done. :blush: Hopefully i can find something like this locally, sounds great…

2 Likes

Well done that’s a great achievement :clap:.

Thank you for sharing. Always love to hear bout everyone’s achievements, however big or small.

Keep up the good work.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

Brilliant @Strings.
Swimming is such a good full body workout. I have also this week joined our local gym/pool and ventured into the pool. Very apprehensive due to visual issues and unable to wear patched glasses but swam since a very young child and always loved it. Risk paid off :+1:.
Didn’t drown :tada: and managing more than I thought I could. Further session booked for tomorrow.
Build on your achievements and most importantly enjoy :swimming_man: Julia x

3 Likes

@Toni.p Check your nearest pools, most of them have similar sessions for disabled etc. my local has extra equipment like steps to get in and out the pool. Good luck.

3 Likes

And that’s another cause for celebration :partying_face: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :smile:

Oh and here’s another celebratory achievement seeking in there :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

Any more for any more :grin: I love these kind of celebrations :blush:

4 Likes

@Strings that’s fantastic going, where can you get these quiet times and places

2 Likes

@chris67 I’m in Nottingham but there should be a leisure centre with pool somewhere near you. Try googling swimming in your area then give them a call and ask about Wellbeing sessions. Good luck!

3 Likes

@chris67 your profile says you are near Watford, I just looked and Watford leisure centre say they offer swimming for all ages and abilities.

3 Likes

How much do they charge?

We went to the royal commonwealth pool which is our closest pool and the cost of just lane swimming was actually a surprisingly high!
Certainly more than one would want to pay if going once a week and that wasn’t a level that would make a membership worthwhile either

2 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh at our local leisure centre the regular charge is £5 per hour, but I get a senior concession which makes it £3.
I should add that it isn’t a state of the art modern place, it’s old and could do with a lick of paint but the facilities are fine.

2 Likes

Wow! Lea and I went for a swim and I think it was 24 quid (for the pair of us) three quid seems much more affordable!

3 Likes

They might not do it everywhere but for a while our local council did free swimming sessions for over 50s. I think they still do but our local pool closed for refurb. Worth looking into maybe?

3 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh you’d have to add the cost of getting to Nottingham :slightly_smiling_face:

The posh “Arena” place charges £6.50 and no concessions.

3 Likes

Worth investigating :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you, will have to look

2 Likes

Hi Strings. Your message interested me as i have been trying to find a session to help me to get back to swimming. Is there any chance you can send me some information on it, Not sure if it is acceptable for me to send you my address but i will try. It’s brendabriggs48@btinternet.com then i can show it to the Stroke co-ordinator persoon in my area as she doesn’t seem to be able to help me in this area or doesn’t know about it .

3 Likes

@Brenda1946 hi, I live in Nottingham so the details of the place are only good if you live nearby. The leisure centre details are:
The Portland Centre
Muskham Street
Nottingham, NG2 2HE
TEL. 0115 859 9968
Website address https://www.theportlandcentre.co.uk

I also emailed you these details as requested, hope it helps.

2 Likes