Amazed myself!

So today hubby took me to a driving assessment centre . I haven’t driven for 2 years since my stroke :flushed: they asked me some questions about my arm and leg and then I got in a car ! There was like a tv remote thing on the steering wheel and was an automatic car . The ladies with me were so lovely and encouraging but I must admit I was scared. I didn’t go on the highway but drove round the grounds at the centre . Steering was easier than I imagined . Turned left turned right . They have recommended I have a few lessons but I’m well chuffed with myself another step to independence :smiley:when I finished I got a bit emosh :joy:

16 Likes

It sounds like a positive experience for you. In the thinking part of your brain it seems that the driving skills are still there. I am sure that learning to drive with the physical issues will come after some lessons and you will soon be back on the road.

4 Likes

Heck you got me a bit emotional and I don’t even know you :laughing:
But that is wonderful news Christine, it’s so good when you get that bit of independence back. The not having to rely on others to take you anywhere. I found I progressed more once able to do that as you make a more concerted effort to become self-reliant once again.

My hubby gave me practice lessons and for the first month I would only drive with him as passenger; I think that was more to do with rebuilding confidence in myself. But it didn’t take me much longer before I was off here, there and everywhere.

Well done, so pleased for you and your new found freedom :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

3 Likes

@christine2 that’s amazing. Well done to you. Am so pleased for you. I bet it won’t be long before you’re back out on those roads again. :partying_face::partying_face:

2 Likes

That’s great! Well done! I started driving an adapted car a few years back. It does take time to get used to the control on the steering wheel and I had to get used to an automatic with pedals switched about (I kept pressing the accelerator thinking it was the clutch). The feeling of independence when you go out on your own for the first time is wonderful!

5 Likes

Hi @christine2. Well done taking these first steps. Confidence does not come easily or quickly but with repeated practice under controlled situations initially. The rewards in terms of independence are huge. Good luck to you, Julia x

3 Likes

Great achievement :clap: :ok_hand: Well done you. Sounds like you will soon be back on the road to independence.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

Ah Thank you all so much for your replies and encouragement. I ve bin singing … I drove a car and I’m gonna go far :red_car::musical_score::rofl:

4 Likes

Hi Christine2. Sounds like you did very well with your driving. Congratulations! I’m 10 months post stroke and have very tentatively started driving again. The nearest Assessment place near us is 50 miles away which is a bit of a trek even though my husband would hake me. Decided to have a go with husband beside me - possibly not the best idea!! Went quite well but I’ve certainly lost my confidence. I used to be a drive anything anywhere type of person but found I was driving like an “old woman” which is what I am but don’t want to drive like one! Will keep trying and hope my confidence returns and if not will go to the Assessment place. Carry on driving!

2 Likes

@apple. Thankyou for your reply . You did very well getting behind the wheel so soon after your stroke . It’s was only recently that I was brave enough to even go to the assessment centre . I was lucky because it’s literally a mile or so away in Hampton in Arden Solihull . :smiley: best wishes to you

2 Likes

Well done sounds like you did an amazing job, independence is such a big thing after stroke and driving is a huge step in that direction, I hope one day to be able to drive again keep us updated on your progress it will certainly give me a bit of hope and encouragement, that one day maybe …just maybe it could happen for me🤔 x

Hi Christine well done . I’m driving just locally again and I still have to concentrate hard but practice is the key to believing in yourself and to get more confident. Keep going girl. You can do it! Regards Suzywong x

2 Likes

Thank you Suzy . Yes I will only drive very locally to start with . :flushed: :red_car:and hopefully build up :muscle:best wishes

2 Likes

Well done Christine I have started driving lessons after 18 months off the road!! Somedays Im not too bad ! I have an Assessment coming up next month so fingers crossed ! Independence means so much .

1 Like

Well done Christine. I am still trying to pluck up the courage to drive again. I’m going to have some proper lessons first in a car with an instructor with a brake

Wow well done Christine :smiley: I hadn’t driven since just before Covid pandemic started as had a bad thing with my hip and we had a Skoda Yeti which is higher to get into than a car. I am not very tall and it was an effort for me, so let my husband do all the driving. Then Covid happened and was important both of us kept well clear of anyone else so we kept in lockdown much longer than others did. Saved a lot in not using petrol though. Last year we changed the Yeti for a Skoda Fabia. I still had no interest in driving then in March 2022 I got Covid which led to a number of TIAs and a couple of small brain bleeds. Didn’t even think about driving. Then last week I just picked up the car keys and got in. Checked everything over, then had a couple of drives round the block. So it must be nearly 4 years since I last drive. I will keep to just local for a while I think … at 77 I think I did ok, hadn’t lost my nerve completely, and it’s great to read your story and find some others doing some driving again …… Val x

2 Likes

Thanku for your replies and telling me your driving stories . I never thought I’d drive again but looking forward to my lessons :smiley:take care

1 Like

wow Val - that’s quite a story. I used to have a Skoda Fabia - it was a great car

1 Like

@christine2 small steps, i have been trying since January to get my licence back, i had to be a year seizure free(seizures caused by my stroke) then had to wait for all my consultants to say i was ok to drive, as well as getting sleep apnoea score up to 80%, now waiting for the next hurdle, whatever they throw at me.

1 Like

The DVLA have been on a go slow for about 2 years and have about 2 years backlog .

Interestingly procedures and restrictions are different if you surrender your licence to if they revoke it .

If you surrender it then in most cases you can drive after you submit an application for its return provided there are no medical objections. If they revoke it you have to go through their assessment process first but if you surrendered it you can return to driving without having to wait for the assessment process

From memory the relevant document is on this download link a pdf Which covers section 88 of the road traffic act

2 Likes