After the storm

Hmmmm

Now I’ve got some spare reinforced plastic that I can put on the front of my log store to protect the nearly delivered firewood… Because there isn’t enough left of the greenhouse poles to save!

There were four eye bolts in the wall to anchor it and three ground anchors on the other sides that it was strapped to - 90 mph gusts & 60mph sustained winds!

5 Likes

Eek :grimacing: I conteplated getting one of those greenhouses…glad I didn’t now :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Eeeek. Let’s hope the worst of the storms have gone now & no mord damage is caused.

I think we missed the worst of it but there’s plenty of garden tidying to do.

1 Like

Hello Simon, I had one of those and was constantly rebuilding it after chasing the wretched thing around our garden… I gave up in the end and went for a wood shed.

3 Likes

Oh the amount of times we’ve looked out over the garden after a storm and seen the carnage of the plastic greenhouse as its done a whistlestop tour of the flower beds.
Then, after exhausting itself, collapsed into a bush like a drunken teenager! :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

And that is why I had bolted it to the wall, and anchored it to the ground .

But it was too structurally weak so all the anchors are still in place but all its structural members are bent and twisted

Can I have the money to buy a new greenhouse please? It’ll probably be less than a couple of grand :slight_smile: nowhere near as expensive as the kitchen you want…

:slight_smile:
Hehe

2 Likes

@BakersBunny - You certainly have a way with words! Give the man another greenhouse. I suggest having a young person come to build one from salvage materials stronger than the metal kind, unless you have a sheltered area to keep it. That would likely keep the sun out as well though.
@SimonInEdinburgh I am working on learning Winter Gardening in old milk jugs (Greenhouses). Maybe not fancy, but cheap.

2 Likes

Can you explain that further DeAnne. Are you using large clear plastic milk containers to grow mustard and cress , cut and come lettuce?
Moved bungalow year and a bit , my one demand was a solid quality glasshouse as big as garden would allow. Taken a big chunk out of my pension pot , but am convinced as old professional gardener it will pay for itself by the time I pop my clogs.

3 Likes

You knew exactly what I was talking about! Probably not cress or mustard, though. Lettuces, Spinach, Broccolini, some native flowers that need cold dormancy… I’m trying to grow a ginko tree as well. Wish me luck. This is very new to me. It is time to start tomato and peppers indoors, as well as some other flowers. I don’t want to get in over my head though, so that will likely do it for this year. I also don’t have room in the house for a big operation. Herbs in the windows are both decorative and handy while cooking. I was hoping to ask you what you knew about it that might help me. Really want to grow mushrooms as well, but I think that will be a bit much for me.

2 Likes

I wondered if “milk jugs” referred to the plastic bottles one gets from the supermarket?

Because to me a milk jug is a glass or pottery open topped short-term vessel that you pour the milk out of the bottle into the jug and for use on the table.

I could imagine growing stuff in elegant 20th century glass jugs

Not so much in a plastic milk bottle

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

We won’t go there with my faux pas in the States when I said to someone behind a serving counter, ‘Nice jugs.’
I was referring to the pottery pitchers (what our over the pond cousins call them)
:see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Now that is very funny!

I did mean the ugly plastic ones. I wouldn’t want to winter glass, especially not lovely glass. We call those pitchers by the way. pottery might work, but the cold and ice tend to break those as well. Wintering in the jugs takes away the need for a formal hothouse (or glass house, as someone here called it). Plants will be transplanted into the garden at the proper time. One can only do this with certain seeds. It won’t work with all seeds. Some must be germinated indoors for an early start.

2 Likes

Why :face_holding_back_tears: I ask, as I look around my house with all my baby cuttings in fancy glassware. Otherwise they’d just be stuck in a cupboard gathering dust :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

These are not for in the house, but for outside in the snow and rain and cold.

2 Likes