Advice on peripheral vision

I haven’t posted in a while ,i had a mini stroke on October 9th 2023 and haven’t recovered anything significant at present ,i am having another peripheral test in july but wondered if anyone has had vision restored after this time? I am frustrated as i am not able to drive and dont know when or if i will be able to,thanks for reading

3 Likes

My head is not working straight after much mental activity today, but I did not want to leave you hanging here as if no one heard you.

I have many vision issue since my strokes. I also do not drive. I have done many exercises that have helped with peripheral vision. Look up Optokenetic Stimulation online. I use many of the differing videos. I have recently been looking at ones specifically to emulate driving in differing conditions (dark, rain, changing light patterns, up and down hills, around curves, and in busy settings). I have not driven for 2.5 years but hope to after assessment in August.

When my mind is clearer, I will check back. Hopefully something helpful will click in to share with you.

And yes, there is hope.

3 Likes

Well thank you for that,I was driving for 3 months before my diagnosis and am still confident that i can drive safely however the dvla will not allow me to drive until at least a year,good luck with your test,fingers crossed x

4 Likes

Hi I had a stroke in 2020 which left me with Hemonopia left visual field, still not driving but did a practice the other month on a teen driving track , reversing three point turns etc…to see how I felt about driving again, I think it went well considering I hadn’t driven for 4 years. Things can improve keep trying don’t give up best wishes x

3 Likes

I lost my left peripheral vision for the first few weeks. It does come back, bit by bit, but not to the level pre stroke as it’s not the vision we lose, rather the bit of the brain that affects vision . I passed the DVLA vision test and I’m driving again. I have a friend that lost his vision completely in one eye due to a virus and he’s whizzing around all over the place in his car. I think our brain is smart enough to make up for some of our deficits, if we give it enough time.

3 Likes

Had my stroke April 23. Lost peripheral. Wasnt until the November I started to see some improvement. I have days where I see a bit more than others although still a bit hazey. Am now aware of things adjacent to me although not clear yet. I am too awaiting further assessment on vision to hopefully start driving again. I cave pretty clear vision forward so to me I’m ok to drive.
Take care.

4 Likes

I am hoping there will be some improvements going forward,fingers crossed otherwise i will ask dvla for "exceptional circumstances " and will have to take an assessment test,good luck to you

4 Likes

Ok, I had my stroke three years with loss of peripheral vision from both eyes on left side. Eyes healthy was told , problem was bash to the old noggin. Ophthalmologist told me in his experience its not likely in my case for my eyesight to improve but added I’m not saying it’s impossible. No two strokes are identical. Think there has been a very slight improvement. Recently my optician said my peripheral vision hasn’t improved , so that rules out driving again but my forward vision good enough to read a numberplate. Fingers crossed and live in hope. Never say never.

5 Likes

Lets hope it will improve and mine too!!

2 Likes

Yes definitely and mine! :blush:

2 Likes

Thouhht id mention a website i found a while ago whilst i was trying to assess&improve my visual neglect that caused me to lose my driving licence.i think it may be of use to anyone with vision issues and it seeemed to have tests and training exercisesfor inattenyion and other vision issues. Search for eyesearch ucl. It was developed bybqueens square hospital and university college london so it is specificallyfor brain injuries i seem to remember you need a pc or laptop to run the software not a phone or tablet. Give it a go its free.

3 Likes

Thanks @khyber I will give that a go, I did a visual field test at Specsavers the other day and four years on I haven’t had as much progress as I hoped felt down about this but have to keep hope that this will improve further x

2 Likes

Hi elle1, good luck, i found the training exercises very tedious because my visual issue has been resolved and i was not challenged by the tasks. Hopefully youll find something useful on the site my consultant looked at it and was interested in my results. John

3 Likes

I am having test on july 5th and really am not sure where to go after that,will call the dvla and ask for my best options,i have no other problems and feel confident that i can drive as was driving for 4 months before diagnosis,its frustrating and i sympathise with those who have not driven for years

3 Likes