Advice, next steps after hospital discharge

So, one week on from mum’s stroke. She was discharged and sent home from the hospital on Wednesday, so spent almost three days there. The stroke unit were very methodical, blood pressure, medication etc. However, the doctor was almost invisible. He did his rounds but we didn’t get any updates or feedback. On discharge, we were told mum would receive appts, for Opthalmic dept. As her visual field was now impaired, but not to expect one for a couple of months. Also she has to have a holter test. Apart from that and a bag of meds we haven’t been told what to expect, who to contact for advice etc. Guess it will be our GP in the first instance, but feeling a little underwhelmed. Thanks for reading.

4 Likes

Oops, appears I may have jumped the gun. A lady at the Stroke Association just phoned. :clap:

3 Likes

@Loshy thank you. I guess every new day is bringing another question for us it’s just about knowing what to expect and who to ask for explanations or help.

2 Likes

@Bev1 a Holter test is easy I’ve done one. The field vision was something I had problems with too, but now corrected. if you are unsure on what happens next then you can contact the hospital stroke unit and speak with them. Glad your mum is home

3 Likes

Get a copy of a book called Had a stroke? What now? by Tom Balchin. It’ll help understand what’s happened and what to expect.

1 Like

@Bev1 good to hear your mum is now home. Hopefully she can rest better now & start her recovery properly.

Did her discharge letter say what happens next? Mine said what appointments I’d been referred for e g 6 week follow up at stroke clinic, holter monitor, opthalmologist etc.

I see you have also been contacted by someone from the Stroke Association. I found them to be very helpful & they got me answers to loafs of things.

I’m sure it’ll all come together over next few days / weeks.

Best wishes.

Ann

2 Likes

@Mrs5K yes, the letter mentioned appointments. I think my dad expected someone to explain what and why to him and mum together and nothing like that happened. The Stroke Assoc. seems very supportive and offers lots of assistance.

2 Likes

@Bev1 sadly these days they give you the letter & leave you to get on with it. Its not ideal at all & they don’t seem to take account of someone’s abilities.

Hopefully the Stroke Association Support Coordinator will help with whats needed & can contact the stroke team with your queries.

Best wishes.

Ann

1 Like

My discharge letter said I would have an MRI and a follow up appointment 3 months after discharge. 7 months on MRI has been done but no communication regarding the result and no follow up appointment. GP had received no information when I last saw him 6 weeks ago but have another appointment with him later this month so will ask again. Having said that the Community Physio team have been amazing and visiting twice a week.

3 Likes

@Apple on your discharge letter there must be a contact number , if so call it or if you know the consultants name ring the hospital and ask for his/her secretary they can generally chase up appointments for you. or email them if easier. I asked for them to email me back with answers as I struggle on the phone, then you have their email address, you either become there best friend or enemy either way they son start chasing appointments for you, just to get you off their back good luck

1 Like

How sad to hear this. Same thing has happened to my mum after being in hospital for 10/11 weeks. She has been home for 4 weeks and just now things seem to be moving. Well now the social want to charge her for the care it’s all moving. !! I think you have to chase things and being new to it we just sat and waited for people to call. Now we know next time we will be calling everyone. Felt like my mum was sent home to die.
Hope you get some clear answers. Take care.

2 Likes