A little win! 🏀

Hi, thanks Emerald eyes for the clarification. makes sense.

3 Likes

@PurpleEdge just popping by to say hi & welcome to the forum. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Hello @PurpleEdge
Welcome to the community :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello to all. As @EmeraldEyes has mentioned:

I am no medical expert, but I will tell you my OT. PT, Neurologist, Neuro Opthomalogist, Physiatrist have all set my recovery goal at acclimating to noise, sudden movements, lights, finding objects in grocery stores all while walking and moving my head as much as possible. I can’t do that all day long, and a short period wear’s me out, but I can do a basketball game or two a week now, and my reaction to those unexpected lights, movements, noises continues to improve with repeated practice. Hopefully it picks up the pace soon, as my Neuro Opthomalogist has decided I can take a driving assessment in August if I continue to improve my reactions and peripheral vision.

Practice makes perfect! (Not completely true, stroked or not, but certainly makes better and better when repeated).

Love to you all!

5 Likes

There’s the story of hope in there .

Your perseverance is obviously paying off :slight_smile: those basket ball games are the hard work that you have to put in on the journey to regaining your driving licence.

:slight_smile:
I have found my capability development follows an S curve. The first 1% takes longer than the next 5% which takes longer than the next 10% until I approach a plateau and then it reverses. After a period of the plateau the next s curve of ability increase versus time starts and so I proceed :slight_smile:

Best wishes on the journey :slight_smile:
Simon

3 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing your ‘little win’! It sounds like a huge win to me, so very well done! Every step is worth celebrating and sharing.
Do remember to build rest days into your diary, especially after such a busy, demanding event like this. It becomes a part of the coping strategy. Be kind to your non-dominant hand too; it will need its rest.
Onwards and upwards!
Kind regards and richest blessings!

4 Likes

Thanks Stewart, I’ve learnt to plan rest days in for sure! I so know I’ve done more but it is an accomplishment! :pray: x

3 Likes

Hello @Stewart1 - hope things are good with you
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Congratulations, what an achievement!

3 Likes

Hello Jan @Forgecroft
How have things been for you since your angiogram triple bypass hemanopia river cruise etc :slight_smile:

I hope you too are making your own very positive catalogue of improvements and achievements :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Hi Simon,

I’ve been disappointed that my fitness level has taken a hit since my second stroke in September, but I’ve just excepted i have to work with who i am, day to day. I’m up to walking around a mile now, but came to the conclusion that depression might be a major factor in my fatigue levels, so decided to change my fitness routine to include other types of exercise. This week has seen a major step forward in that instead of walkng i actually did some gardening. Packed in when i started to get tired but first time back in the garden since my operation last May. I just tidied up areas i look out over, but its had the knock on effect that whilst I’m resting i’m not beating myself up that it needs doing! So on this theme, I’m going to identify what’s nagging at me, and put a strategy together to chip away at it, even a few minutes a day can add up to progress and that feel good factor!

4 Likes

@Forgecroft that sounds like a great strategy & will definitely help with lifting your mood.

2 Likes

Hi @Forgecroft Jan
That sounds very positive :slight_smile:
The garden is my refuge too
I have lots of piles of stuff that have to be cleared up!
I bought some dhalia tubers and I’m cutting a very neglected rambling, tree climbing rose back that covers about three square metres. I used the hedge trimmer and 3 days ago I had a huge pile of twigs and cuttings - despite having a 24 hour bug that laid me very low I have now managed to reduce it to a small pile - still something to go then I can dig over the ground which is always fun one handed and dodgy balance and then I can plant my dahlias!

I have some wild budlia and elder I cut and need to chip and two large compost heaps that need to be dug out so that I can put this year’s clippings in them!

Your regimes sound as though you’re addressing all of stamina, fatigue, fitness, motivation and maybe some more general emotional dimensions all of which sounds good

I’m glad for you. it’s a struggle in every dimension and any victory no matter how small is a cause for focus and celebration
And a reminder when you have a step backwards which will be inevitable but do not characterise what is truly happening

Onwards and upwards :slight_smile:
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes