23 year old sister had a TIA yesterday and is in hospital

Hello,

I am new to the forum - my sister had a TIA (“mini stroke”) yesterday and is in hospital as they try to understand why it happened. My family and I are all very scared and a bit confused about what’s likely to happen next, and would appreciate any advice, support or experiences that anyone is willing to share.

I’ve had a read through of some of the conversations on here and it seems like a really lovely forum.

Yasmine

Hi @yeas2 (Yasmine), really sorry to hear that, must be very scary, as it was for all of us. I’m sure you are very worried but as @Loshy says you will be of most use if you can manage to stay strong/calm for her.
I don’t know too much about TIA, other than it is a small stroke, but there are some on here that I know have had them.
One positive thing is that they will be giving her medication to mitigate the risk of another one while they try to find the cause.
Hopefully some of the others here will be able to give more advice, but I wish your sister all the best with her recovery.
Good luck & feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We’re not doctors but as survivors can probably speak with less jargon.
Mark.

1 Like

Shwmae @yeas2, a TIA is not a mini-stroke, it is a warning that a stroke may happen. It does cause damage but the blood and oxygen are still flowing and a clog hasn’t occurred yet, or a tear hasn’t given way. Having said that, if she is young, a bubble study echocardiogram will be the first line of investigation, and other tests for coagulation of the blood &c.

It depends on her stroke symptoms. I had a cerebellar stroke which will only show up on an MRI. It is considered a younger person’s stroke as it is often caused by trauma. Physical damage to some part of the body due to manipulation. Cerebellar stroke symptoms are commonly different from cerebrum stroke, as to with brain stem stroke.

It is essential the medical staff check into this. They may not do it off their own back and will need you to direct them. Keep us posted and I wish her well.

1 Like

Welcome to this forum. So sorry to hear that your sister has had a tia.

Another useful port of call for information is Differentstrokes.co.uk It is a unique UK charity run by younger stroke survivors for younger stroke survivors and their families.

Hope this is useful and wish her well in her recovery

@yeas2 hi Yasmine, welcome to the forum although sorry to hear your sister has had a TIA. I’m sure you are all very worried. The Dr’s will look into things and give the right treatment for her which will reduce the risk of it happening again. If she needs any follow up she should be referred on. What happens next does seem to vary greatly depending on where you live. I would make sure that question is asked of the consultant before she is discharged.
This is a great forum. Reach out if you need / want to.
Wishing her all the best with her recovery.
Best wishes

Ann xx

Hi all, thank you so much for your messages, I’ve found a lot of comfort in reading them. We found out today that it was actually a stroke rather than a TIA, although I must admit that I’m not particularly sure what the differences are. They’ve been doing lots of tests on her heart today. I’m definitely feeling guilty for not having identified what was going on more quickly - I didn’t know that losing your balance or confusion were stroke symptoms, and she could smile and raise her arms. I’m feeling very lucky that she’s got through it okay, although it’s scary to realise how instantaneously life can change. I’m 25 and definitely feel like my siblings and I are invincible - terrifying to try and accept that that’s not the case.
Yasmine x

@yeas2 Hi Yasmine, sorry to hear that your sisters TIA turned out to be a stroke but good that it has been diagnosed & they can treat her correctly.
My stroke started with loss of balance & nausea & I too didn’t realise it was a stroke & waited 4 days to seek medical attention at which point I’d also got vision issues & left sided weakness. A lot of people find they don’t get the classic FAST symptoms. At your sisters age you would never think stroke as you don’t expect it. I have learnt so much through this & the Different Strokes forums.
It’s very scary when you realise life can change so quickly with no warning & it does take a bit of accepting. I’m 7 months post stroke & still struggle to believe I’ve had a stroke although the effects remind me every day :grin:
I hope your sisters recovery journey goes well.
Best wishes

Ann xxx

Hi Yasmine. I think having a stroke is a shock as it’s so sudden. One minute you’re ok, the next your life has changed. A lot of people think a stroke only happens to older people, so when it is someone so young it is a double shock. I wish you and your sister all the best.
This forum is a great source of help and support :heart:

Hi,
This is a warning. I had a TIA and everybody downplayed it. I, with everybody’s blessing, continued with my normal lifestyle. Working hard (professor of mathematics), continuing with my sport (shooting, fishing and motorcycling), and eating well (I love cooking).
Exactly 6 month later, returning from a shooting, fishing holiday in Scotland I had a massive stroke (paralysed, blind, mute and incontinent).
If I had known that the TIA was a precursor I would have slowed down, retired as I should have done at 65 and been less of a gun-ho merchant.
Please tell your sister to slow down, everything in moderation and take time to smell the roses.
Good luck

Sorry to hear about u news. A TIA is when they are no permanent damage done however a stroke is where the will be damage that could well be permanent ie brain as been damaged due to lack of oxygen either by a blood cloth or bleeding on the brain. Most strokes are clot related. He will have MRI scan and meds to help his body Copeland to reduce the chance of another stroke depending on the outcome of his stroke hw will get support in his recovery with kind regards des

I am so sorry please don’t be scared i am here for support