Useless arm

Once my mother regained use of her affected hand, she still favored her left hand, because she was forced to use it for almost a year. It took her a few months to get used to using her right hand again. It was real work! But, all of sudden, something clicked in her brain, and she went back to using her right hand almost like she did before the stroke. It was weird how strong her left hand and arm were 1 year after her stroke. She got use of her right hand for about 5 months before she died (80-90% recovered). Sadly, she never appreciated how well her hand came back because of her mental state.

You just repeat over and over and over. That’s how you retrain the brain, as you all know very well. My mother used the green flexbar, which did wonders to bring her hand back. It doesn’t work for everyone, but my mother’s stroke was a 17/42, which is considered a moderate-severe stroke. I think that is why she had an easier time recovering physically than a lot of other people. Not sure what happened to her mind, but that’s another story.

2 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh I can see the top left of the screen :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:polar_bear: :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

Yes that appears every time somebody posts for the first time and the only person can’t see it is the person who posts

There’s one for you somewhere Do you want me to find it for you too difficult I go to your profile tap on activity scroll to the end of the list tap on the list I will take me to the post screenshot the page…

1 Like

Thanks but I’m ok!!

:polar_bear: :wink:

:wink:

& Enuff 'unneeded’ chars to avoid the automated thought police :)
1 Like

A year on how is your arm now?

2 Likes

Gosh Kevin is that a year ago? How scary! My arm is better but obviously still not 100% and probably never will be. I have more control over it now but still working on trying to get food actually into my mouth and not up my nose!! My hand will now hold relatively light objects but not heavyish objects i.e. dropped the cats tin of treats! Dreamies - cat lovers will understand Dreamies! - all over the floor and said cat hoovering them up as quickly as possible! All in all I suppose its improving but not as quickly as this impatient person would like. Same goes for walking. :weary:

2 Likes

Thanks for the update ayear can go quickly I’m in a similar place 20 months in but not at motor control yet would like the arm to be functional have you had any finger movement?

2 Likes

Yes can move fingers but they are quite stiff but not sure how much of that is arthritis or stroke.
What bugs me is that I can’t hold a fork properly in that hand. Sometimes it’s really painful

2 Likes

@Kevin83 @Apple
I think there are a lot of us in similar position with the extension of dexterity strength etc in our affected hand

I’m trying to get a group of people together who would be interested in supporting each other. @pando @Strings and I had a zoom meeting with a NHS contact couple of weeks ago about doing a virtual group - we haven’t followed it up yet but it’s still on my mind to get something going

Are you interested?
Caio
Simon

2 Likes

Sounds interesting if I can work out how to do it!

1 Like

I thought there was a meeting this morning so went to the zoom link a little after 10am… I must have misunderstood. See you next time R

2 Likes

My arm strength is improving. The daily exercises/stretches/aquarobics/gym/swimming are strengthening the muscles, but the overactive bicep and spasticity are difficult to overcome. It’s continually a “2 steps forward, 1 step back” scenario. My fingers still don’t open and my thumb closes toward the palm of my hand, so I have to hold it open in order to hold something. I’ve found it helpful to keep my Saebo Glove on if I’m doing anything(like gardening), as it helps stretch my bicep and hand. I can now raise my arm above my head in a sideways fashion, but not straight forward and up, but it’s better than before, so I must be doing something right!

3 Likes

Yes there was Charlie had update challenges with zoom, I got there late due to trades people at the house , @strings has another appt’t so we were all like ships passing in the night

I’ve suggested to Charlie (in follow up email - can’t recall yours - I know it’s not intuitive but hyraglyphics) that we take actions to set up a peer support effort and let it evolve rather than schedule meetings to talk about what actions to take.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @MinnieB
To be functional I’m finding that it is the combination of movements at all of the joints that is necessary

my daily acid tests are how well my right hand is able to wash my left armpit as that requires coordination of wrist and fingers while shoulder the elbow are not contributors.

I too am improving but slowly. I too have the most problem with my fingers my thumb is reasonably well behaved but fades in seconds - my benchmark there is can I hold my toothbrush to clean my teeth right handed and I can get the toothbrush into my mouth but I cannot apply pressure from the bristles to the teeth for more than a few seconds

Attempting The daily things that happen a thousand times arer I think the key to functional capability development. Exercises in sets of 10 repeated three times have a place they are wholly non-functional but are necessary prereq for some of the capture of capability for daily living

As you can see above I’m keen that we explore supporting each other in a constructive fashion in addition to talking about our individual challenges addressed in isolation. One way I think has the potential for synergy the other way perpetuates the paucity of support.

Caio
Simon

1 Like

it starts wps@…
which stands for Westbury Park Strings

no prob, Roland

1 Like

Can you hold a dumbbell weight?
I have 0.5kg - up to 5kg which I use every day
You can get weights the strap onto your hand too

good luck, Roland

2 Likes