Unbalance

Morning @Seeney

I have been thinking more about this and what you have said is exactly what I do - I have been monitoring myslf and asked JP to too and basically I always have a hand on something. If I do go out at all I have my stick otherwise from kitchen to living room I have what JP is now calling ‘touch points’!! So the doorframe then the wall then the bottom of the stairs then the door then sofa then sit!!!

Do You have regular touch points around the house!?

If I’m out in unfamiliar situations it can get overwhelming quickly!

Do you do this?!?

Keep Cool

Kieran

confused | Ice bear we bare bears, Bear wallpaper, We bare bears wallpapers

Hi, I’m pretty fortunate really. can walk around inside and out without holding on. Things like getting out of shower it’s easier if I hold onto the sink for instance. Just I feel unbalanced all of the time. I always take my stick when I’m out, just a confidence thing and so people know there’s a problem and give me space. (and so people don’t think I’m drunk. Lol)
Take care.

1 Like

I never leave home without my stick or overshields!!

As you say confidence! And people get out of the way and actually are often nice!!

I probably can walk around the house without holding on - I often do it with my eyes closed just in case :exploding_head: :thinking: but I think now it’s just habit for the journey I make 20 times a day sofa to kitchen!

Keep cool

K

:polar_bear: :wink:

indeed!

1 Like

I used to have to have a touch point for everything.
Now I just need it for uneven ground and particularly for stepping down off a kerb or worse yet outdoor stone steps!

Caio
Simon

2 Likes

Hi there I’m nearly 10 months post stroke and I often have days where I feel my legs don’t belong to me. I’ve started going to strength and balance classes twice a week and my balance is slowly improving. I found them via age uk and they sent me details of classes near me. Give them a go . I highly recommend them . Regards Suzywong

3 Likes

I’m 3 years on and still have balance issues. My stroke was in my cerebellum, so that’s not unusual. I feel a bit like I’ve had a glass of wine too many. However, I have learned to cope. Walking around on level ground is fine, but I use a stick on rough ground. Slopes are ok as long as I don’t try to turn round. Also if I want to look around while walking, then I stop before I do it.
The worst problem is putting my head down. For instance when I bake my wife has to put things into and take them out of the oven, because if I try, I will lose my balance. Most gardening I can’t do as it requires bending down, and that’s a no no. Looking up causes problems too, but this is usually not a problem, and it gets me out of decorating, so that’s a plus.
Over time I have learned to adapt to the problem, and day to day I just carry on as best I can. I think you have to realise your limitations and carry on.
I hope this helps.

5 Likes

Dear Alan,

You have a good attitude.

My mother recovered very well physically from her stroke, but was left with terrible emotional issues that never got better over time. After 1 year or so, we realized that her mind was never going to be the same again. That’s okay. You just have to accept what is and go from there. In the end, everything is okay somehow. You adapt.

You’re doing well.for all that you’ve been through. And you are enjoying things like baking, etc. That’s fantastic!

Please take care.

1 Like

You sound similar to my experience. Keep going forward!

That reply was intended for Mrs. Sweeney.

Make that Mrs 5k rather than Mrs. Sweeney.

1 Like

The min chars is the Discourse way of preventing a post filling up with things a gratuities such as “Thnx” Apparently that’s also what the :heart:'s are for. But then you run out of :heart:'s :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
We tried to get it removed on another forum but they wouldn’t budge.