Unaided walking

xxxxx

:rofl: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :rofl: :wink: :polar_bear: :golf: :golf:

2 Likes

I knew it! And you sent the proof. You just trip them with a cane, smile, apologize and give them a polar bear. Then they are just all over you, huh?

3 Likes

that’s why I find my treadmill very helpfu: I can hold onto the handle bars, so my balance is taken care of. Then I can concentrate on the leg(s)

I like your concept of using the good leg as a model and an example for the other leg to follow…

good luck, ciao, Roland

4 Likes

For me personally, I think the cross trainer at my gym beats the treadmill hands down for sorting out my walking and balance issues.

(For those who don’t know what it is, it mimics cross country skiing . . . like peddling standing upright :wink:)

The beauty about that piece of equipment, is its versatility for me.
You have the safety bars to either side of you as well as the 2 types of hand grips.
You can practice and play around more with you balance, completely hands free, without the fear of falling because you have those safety features in place and they’re solid for when you are thrown off balance.
You certainly give your sense of balance a good training workout with the up and down motion, then going into reverse and then getting it back to forward peddling.
Peddling whilst looking around you turning head side to side, swinging you arms, getting a rhythm going.
It takes time but I’m certain that’s what has gained me the greatest progress out of all the therapies/exercises I’ve tried for balance and walking . . . . aside from walking itself on all types of terrain.

You are being more constantly thrown off balance on the cross trainer compared to a treadmill. So you are giving yourself that mental workout needed to reset connections with your body, with the physical workout on leg muscles, with that continual correction and resetting of your balance.
Your balance will certainly be constantly thrown off in the beginning, I was constantly reaching for grab rails and handles. It’s hard work but well worth the effort in the long run.

@Apple If you haven’t got enough muscle strength in your legs, they’re going to tremble and quake when you walk, because they’re the ones you are asking to carry the rest of your body weight with them. And that throws your confidence. If you poke a finger into your thigh/calf muscle, is it hard or soft; if soft/softish then there’s not enough strength and you need to build up more muscle. And the best way to do that is to start walking with your sticks.

2 Likes

So i am 11 months post stoke. I was in a wheelchai for the first 2 months
I am now walking without aid , and i have just restarted playing padel ( i live in Spain) . Its been a long hard journey but ive had physio 3 times a week since the start.
You have to put the work in but the rewards are there. Bit by bit, challenge yourself and the reults will come.

4 Likes

Well done! :slight_smile:
And thanks for sharing

It reinforces the inspiration for others
I’m going through a period of " it’s such a slog" so to hear the “the slog pays out in the end” is a good reminder

Thnx

Ps dis you move there before Brexit? & How is it post Brexit?

2 Likes

So that is why I haven’t seen you in awhile. Great news! Thank you for sharing, and don’t be a stranger! Hope to ‘see’ you again soon.

Hi Simon, i moved here pre Brexit. The biggest single change is that holiday home owners can now only spend 90 days in any 180 days in Spain. That is the law, but I’m not sure Spanish authorities apply it stringently.
The big plus is the weather. We’re in October now and daytime temperatures are still reaching 29 degrees. Still in shorts. Off to play padel this morning.
Keep going it is worth the hard work.
Adios
Graeme

3 Likes

Hi I had a full left side stroke arm,leg,face, mouth back in August 2019 2 days after my 68th birthday. A week in Leeds General Infirmary. Fortunately I was given a clot busting drug so within the month I was back in the gym & drove part way to Spain via France in October. Anything is possible it all depends where you started from. I found swimming was The most helpful as I struggled to remember to breath when concentrating. swimming was great I you have to breathe properly, I also walked up & down the pool where falling over was not a problem :rofl:
I still have difficulties but most people don’t believe how ill I was when the ambulance arrived. Blood oxygen was near non existent I am told but I was out of it & paralysed on my left side.
So all the best but anything is possible !

3 Likes

Sounds as if you were very lucky with the acute care that you got.

I hope you’re enjoying post-stroke life :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Yes I was. Life is good.

4 Likes

Sounds like things are going well for you. Great being able to drive that far. I couldn’t have fone that pre-stroke :grin: You are right about the swimming pool. It’s definitely a good place to practice walking & exercises.

2 Likes