Two years and more

I am three and a half years post stroke and still getting recovery.

I would like to tell you about a major blunder by me.

Throughout the first two years I seemed to have so  many things causing pain that I didnt know which way to turn. I had decided, after about six months that I would ignore all mobility issues and concentrate on the cognitive stuff. I had bad SF and very good early mobility so it made sense to me at the time. BIG MISTAKE. I am now much recovered but the left sided weakness is causing havoc. In simple terms it has lumbered the right side and the right side is breaking down. I have joined a special gentle yoga class and it is explaining a lot. My core is hopeless and needs correcting.

So please learn from error. Keep the recovery of everything going. 

Hopefully its not too late for me, but at the moment I am struggling badly to move about. And I am taking painkillers to allow sleep (paracetomol).

Do keep smiling and be positive (even though I was positively wrong about this issue)

Colin

Colin, I am sorry you have had a dip in recovery and am sure you will get over it. I think we all have a problem in overusing our good side to compensate for the weak side. By overuse of my right side early on, it began to suffer all sorts of aches and pains and the right arm and hand reached a point of dropping things due to my heavy reliance on it. The instructor at my exercise classes is good, because he always tells us how we should balance and gives us exercises that make us stronger and more balanced. I am now trying to amend my walking so that I can use my weak side more positively and walk with less of a rolling gate. I also have a tendency to shuffle when tired.

As for stroke fatigue, it still kicks in at noon every day. I have my hour’s sleep and am then okay till almost midnight. I just accept this now and go with the flow. I certainly think the fatigue ‘real’ and not overcome by a matter of willpower. I sleep reasonably well, but am always a little anxious about not having enough. I am also diabetic, but a recent change to my insulin has meant better control and less getting up in the night to go for a pee.

Like you, I am a great believer in laughter and always try to see the funny side of stroke. I break things occasionally, wobble and regain my balance like a geriatric ballet dance and am still getting to grips with the new ironing board. Cooking is my great saving grace and enables me to play a reasonable role in the home. As I have written before, this often involves a lot of swearing at any minor mistakes. I have never cried or brooded over my situation. It is what it is and bewailing my fate cannot alter things.

I am sure you will more than meet your present challenges. Your posts are always both honest and supportive. I try to make mine the same.

Thank you John. It is reassuring that others have the same issues as me. Although I wouldnt wish that on anyone, least of your goodself.

I am now trying to readjust my left and right side. And thats quite a painful thing to do. I just wish I had picked up on this earlier.

Its vey humid down here in Essex.

Colin

Hi Colin!  Hope you are well.  Peace Carole