Tia and so scared

Thankyou Wendy and sorry I’ve not replied earlier, not sure why but I’m more at ease than I was I still have moments but it easy getting more normal everyday. The support and help from everyone is amazing glad your recovery is going well too. Rodney

The talking has been great and positivity from you and everyone else make me realise how lucky I am. Stay strong everyday it gets better.

Thank you Mabel it really is helpful for advice and overcoming the moments of anxiety. It has made my recovery so much easier and everyday it gets better. Stay positive and you’ll soon be you again. Take care x Rodney

Hello everyone. I had a TIA 7 weeks ago, suddenly felt horribly ill just as I was beginning to eat supper, got up to go and lie down and collapsed on the floor. I was unable to get up but managed to drag down my phone and called a friend who got an ambulance & came at once. The ambulance man said it was an ear infection & was going to leave me at home until he realised I couldn’t speak!

I’ve had the scans & heart tests, no results as yet, but I just don’t know what to expect. I’ve felt very tired and seem to have lost some strength - is this usual? ( I am  a very fit & active 79 year old, walk every day, do gardening, ring church bells, eat healthily etc.) What after effects are there usually and how long do they last? I have also recently developed cold symptoms which I think might be the statins. 

I live alone and always make sure I have my phone with me now!

Donna, I hope the tests done give you a clearer picture of what happened. The tiredness may well be post stroke fatigue, ifvso it may well ease or it is something you may have to cope with. Lack of strength is not uncommon. It is only after three years that I have more strength, but my left side is still weak and that affects my left arm and hand. I wish you all the best.

I had my TIA on Tuesday and that is my biggest fear too.

Hope you are getting on OK.

Angie

Hi, I had tia last July, found out the statins were making me breathless. Doctor stopped statins have felt better but still a little breathless.  My main problem from stroke is fatigue tiredness.  I have to rest so much during the day, nobody can say how long it might last.Regards Pauline

My mother had a mini stroke last July. She is feeling awful. Dizzy, ringing ears, constipation breathless, fatigue a d weak. She hardly goes out. She is on Atorvasatin 40mg and Clopidogrel 75mg. A couple days ago I took her to the doctors and  I told her about what I have mentioned.  I told the doctor could it be the mediction,.? The doctor said I don't think so. I told the doctor to reduce the Atorvasatin. So she did from 40mg to 20mg. Its early days yet to see any effect. It could be the the other medications.

Best wishes Chris  

Dear Chris

I have taken clopidogrel and I have even run a 5 week trial to see if it affects me. It does not. Doesnt mean that it applies to everyone of cousre.

I did not get along with Atorvasatin. I am elderly and to be honest, prefer to take the risk that ignoring all statins might shortne my life. Doc was quite ageeable, he offered alternative statins, but I preferred none. I felt improvement in days.

If mum had a transient stroke (often called a mini stroke) then the stroke generally doesnt have lasting effects. So you are right to look into side effects. The tablets are to help prevent another TIA or a full stroke. I recommend that you read the formal diagnosis given when Mum left hospital. It might give you some clues.

Best wishes

Colin

Thank you Colin wish you good health.

All the best Chris 

Hi mabel my mother suffered with TIA last July. She was in a terrible state at that time I thought she had gone insane. She has made a very slow recovery. She still gets dizzy, ringing ears, constipation breathless she has lost quite a lot of weight. Ver anxious. Was a very active woman 

.. Does nothing but compains. Lack of motivation. She on Atorvasatin 40mg which the doctor reduce to 20mg 3 days a go, Clopidogrel 75mg  Ramipril 2.5mg and sertraline 100mg.

All the best,

Chris 

Hi mabel my mother suffered with TIA last July. She was in a terrible state at that time I thought she had gone insane. She has made a very slow recovery. She still gets dizzy, ringing ears, constipation breathless she has lost quite a lot of weight. Ver anxious. Was a very active woman 

.. Does nothing but compains. Lack of motivation. She on Atorvasatin 40mg which the doctor reduce to 20mg 3 days a go, Clopidogrel 75mg  Ramipril 2.5mg and sertraline 100mg.

All the best,

Chris 

It Happens!

There was a funny video doing the rounds a while ago where an elderly gentleman was given an iPad and didn't know what it was for and was using it as a chopping board for his vegetables and chucking it into the dishwasher afterwards. Pity I didn't keep it, I could have posted it to you!

Deigh

John, thank you for your reply. In the last week or so I have felt much more myself, the tiredness has gone and although I still lack strength (everything is heavier, slower and steeper) it isn’t enough to prevent me from walking my dog, gardening and church bell ringing! I just do it all a bit easier. And all that is probably also due to age ( I turned 80 last week). 

I feel very fortunate. I do take care ( no climbing up ladders on my own, no standing on furniture and no going into the loft unless someone knows about it). 

Hope you are doing well too.

I had what the hospital believe was a TIA at the weekend, just chatting to my family when I found I couldn't remember some words I wanted to say. Had a funny muzzy head but that was about it. Checked my BP which was high. On advice from 111 my daughter took me to hospital. Had various tests, CT and a MRI 2 days later. Told they cannot say for sure that it was a TIA but in all probability it was. Now on statins, blood thinners and BP meds. Its left me feeling so very scared. Lost my husband to cancer last year so now living alone, which although I miss him, I coped with well, that is until now, feel rather vunerable. Just moved house and rebuilding my life for this to happen now. 

I am sorry to hear of your issue. There are several types of symptom for a TIA.

The medication will reduce the risk of another event, if it was one, but lifestyle changes should help as well. Stress, caffeine and alcohol can also be factors. There are other. I suggest that you do some research on this web site. How about trying to relax more and avoiding strenuous exercise?

Wishing you all the best.

Graham 

Thank you Graham,

I rarely drink and hardly ever have coffee. Due to problems with my mobility, unable to carry out any strenuous exercise, the most strenuous thing I manage is taking the dog short walks and doing the shopping. I lost my husband last year and subsquently moved house about 9 weeks ago, which I'm sure has been a contributing factor, as of course, with the Covid situation meant I have had to do most of the packing etc by myself. I think my worst enemy is my own subconscious, cos when I'm on my own that's when the demons crawl out of hiding. 

All the very best

Marg

Thank you Graham,

I rarely drink and hardly ever have coffee. Due to problems with my mobility, unable to carry out any strenuous exercise, the most strenuous thing I manage is taking the dog short walks and doing the shopping. I lost my husband last year and subsquently moved house about 9 weeks ago, which I'm sure has been a contributing factor, as of course, with the Covid situation meant I have had to do most of the packing etc by myself. I think my worst enemy is my own subconscious, cos when I'm on my own that's when the demons crawl out of hiding. 

All the very best

Marg

Marg,

Thank you for the feedback. You have been through a lot in a short time. I hope that you manage to rebuild your health soon.

it is not for all, but I find classical music very relaxing. ClassicFM in particular. This helped me a lot when recovering from my stroke.

best regards,

Graham

I knew nothing about a TIA until I had stroke. There are several different symptoms of TIA. I had two TIAs without understanding what they were.

I have downloaded a book on TIAs for Kindle. I found this very useful, written from the view of a patient.

Jim Green, Coping with Transient Ischaemic Attacks (TIA)