The longest walk , i

The longest walk , i

Marathon walk

And a new coat after 16 years
The longest walk , it’s the little things that keep us going

After pushing myself to walk with stick albeit poorly I entered the garden centre in search of a bonsai tree

Unfortunately didn’t see one I liked but looked at the terrainians and will look into them as they fascinate me

6 Likes

That’ll keep the weather out.

Maybe I’ll get to do that one day.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Happy new coat @mrfrederickson & well done on your walk.

3 Likes

I’m paying the price now o my efforts, left leg is still a wooden plank inspite of the physio trying to get me to bend it in use.

The belief is my bad habits in initial walking straight aft the stroke have stuck so I now have to relearn walking all over again.

3 Likes

@mrfrederickson

I’m sure you have the determination and will improve. I expect just wanting to get going will spur you on.

2 Likes

Thanks mrs5k

Long overdue and the walk was a triumph of mind over matter
If only it would all come back

I don’t even remember how anymore after three years of not doing it

Come on brain get fixing.

6 Likes

You have no idea of how much I’m rooting for you. You and anyone else in this situation who is, on a daily basis, putting so much effort in for seemingly so little reward. But that reward must be considered. Every half-inch of progress is still that - progress.
My brother-in-law gave up completely and called constantly for the release of death, which he received. No-one was happy to see him go, only secretly relieved that the pleading had stopped. He didn’t have to pick up the pieces of grief that my sister-in-law felt - still feels - on a daily basis.
Now, I’m in his position, it would be easy to give up. To have everyone in my family run around for me. Make my meals, do my chores, push me in my wheelchair, every day/week/year of whatever time I have left - which, at 74. could be considerable. No, I’ll not be a burden to them one second longer than I have to be.
I’ll never be the same as I was, but I’ll see to it that I’ll never be the same as I am.
Oohhh - sorry. So sorry. That’s been waiting to come out for a while, I just didn’t expect it to be on here.
Nearly midnight. I’d better get back to bed for a while.
Goodnight.

4 Likes

Ah but it’s the best place for it to come out as we all understand it so well :smile:

1 Like

I feel for you. A good jacket is all important.

I got one of these… From Canadia Goose.

Where is yours from?

K :wink: :polar_bear:

My Bonsai tree is called KROA :polar_bear: :polar_bear:

3 Likes

Thanks Bob hope you slept well.
Don’t worry about your expression on her in the eyes of your loved ones you will never be that.
Our personal journey is determined by grit and determination, some have it some don’t

I like your assessment of not being back to pre stroke and at the same time not being how you are now.
We will get there because we are the ones who live and work at recovery it’s easy to give up although nothing that has even crossed my mind even in my dark days of wishing I hadn’t made it
The loss to my wife and family would have been immeasurable. So here we are battling on.

Take care.
Mark

4 Likes

Thanks Bobbi
I’m up and ready for the shopping

Once the car is not in use and the wheels are cool I will attend to cleaning them with my new cleaning products and brush , oh the excitement and little things that keep me back in my old world.

2 Likes

Thanks mrs5k it’s funny how places and things you’ve done as an able bodied human and are now so hard remind oneself of the past and how we took it for granted when walking shopping doing husbandly things and now reduced to a quivering wreck doing the smallest things.

Roll on full recovery, 5 years to go and counting.

3 Likes

Great post that I’m sure will resonate with everyone on here.
Keep on keeping on.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

New day, new challenges.
Thank you, people, for your kind and supportive words. They DO help. Thank you, especially, EmeraldEyes and Mark. I woke this morning with some trepidation about my ‘episode’ last night, but reading these posts makes me realise that despite what life throws at us, and despite some of the terrible things happening in the world today, there are still happy times to achieve and wonderful people to help me get there.
God, this is morbid. I’m going to sit down and go back through my memory and see if I can find some good jokes.
Have a great day, everyone.
BobQ1.

2 Likes

Yes bob never give up until the fat lady sings
And even then keep going

I remember an old girl called Zulu and in one of the scenes the hospital is over run by attackers and one chap with a bandaged leg and a crutch grabs a rifle and goes into defend the patient’s in the make shift hospital.

I drew strength from watching that sacrifice.
So I figured I could survive if he could do what he did

2 Likes

Hello Bob,

May he rest in peace. If I may ask you a few details about his story? How old was he?
Wishing you every success and progress with you recovery

ciao, Roland

3 Likes

He was a VERY youthful 88 when he had his stroke (he played tennis into his 80’s and competitive tennis into his mid/late 70’s), And passed at 92 - a mere shadow of his former self. Almost like a building that had collapsed in on itself. And somewhat resentful in manner.
Thank you, Roland, you too.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for that, Bob.

Yes, I’d be happy to go at 92
But it does matter how we get to 92,
and that we get there in reasonable condition.

Speak soon, ciao, Roland

5 Likes

:+1: : Look forward to it.
Honk-honk, Bob.

1 Like

Thanks Bob you have a great day the bonfire night and strictly come dancing will keep us amused for another week
We have so much fun to have in the coming months, if nothing else a general election to see which idiots get in power for the next 4 years.
Keep on rocking that’s all that matters

2 Likes