The Elephant in the room?

Hi all :slight_smile:

This thread arose during my ‘absence’. I’ve just seen it due to it being bumped by bobby’s posting about sliding off the bed and having excellent tomato soup with cheese toasties :slight_smile:

The original poster of the topic has not been back since a couple of days after joining - but may well get a notification now and return :slight_smile: ?

There is much that I relate to amongst all your contributions - thank you.
One of the thoughts that I return to many times when reading posts is that we all have rates of progress.
Rate of progress is different for different aspects of our recovery whether it be emotional, muscle control, return of sensations, upper or lower limb etc etc

Also we each have a different sensitivity to what knocks us off course; a slight tummy bug maybe just that or maybe the trigger for debilitating fatigue again and 2ndry or 3ary impacts .
Progress runs in fits and starts and goes backwards too :frowning:

Worse one has to have faith, has to learn to persevere when no progress is visible because like the baby analogy above - progress is going on invisibly until enough components of reached a state where they combine and the capability is revealed.

It needs faith that is not provided by the therapy professionals IME

When all this is considered then the far-too-common medical statements about “you can only make progress in 6 months”, “you’ve reached the plateau no point in trying anymore” and the great truth about ”use it or lose it" - well then I’m depressed on behalf of others. Because it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy .

I thought as I read

and

Highlight the real elephant - it’s the emotional and psychological acceptance of one’s situation and then the benchmarking of ones capabilities and then the work without evidence and just faith until some progress as being seen, and then the resilience to overcome the setbacks…

And it’s this last paragraph that this community paints grey or punctures to deflate or perhaps it should be paint pink? by providing examples not of the rate of progress but of the inevitability of effort being repaid in capability growth

Thank you all for providing me with support by encouraging when progress with absent and celebrating when milestone were visible over the past year… and in anticipation of it continuing next year

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

I’m happy that you didn’t have any serious issues from your fall.

You might want to try getting some fresh air.

I am glad you’re liking your food. That is very important.

I love tomato soap, by the way.

Take good care of yourself, Bobbi. I know how hard things can get.

3 Likes

@Matthew1798

The first major hurdle is to survive the stroke.

I’ve seen people in hospital with me unable to achieve that, surrounded by grieving relatives. Obviously much loved but unable to keep hold on life.

Then there are those kept alive, on drips, fed by tube only able to grunt and moan, unable to move themselves, a distressing sight, yet cared for with great diligence around the clock. Relatives, shocked and helpless are witness to this with no assurance of what will be the outcome.

Things are not so dire but still pretty awful for others and their nearest and dearest. There are those also who seem to escape almost unscathed.

Stroke whether severe or not is a traumatic event with consequences that last for a long time. We deal with it as best we may, without guarantees but with hope for some sort of future.

To some extent, although it might not right all the wrongs, state of mind will affect the sort of journey we will experience. If that sounds a little trite I apologise and do recognise that sympathy has a place in all this.

These mountains to climb, obstacles to overcome etc etc are best shared. This forum is one place I value as a point of exchange for what we have to say.

I have a meal my wife and carer has put before me. Life must go on and I will finish here to consume what she has prepared for me.

Thank you for reading through what I have had to say

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

5 Likes

Yes, you need to keep on keepin’ on. That’s what you do, as long as you can. You’re doing just that.

Happy New Year 2024! All the best to you!

5 Likes

@Matthew1798 and to all the others who pass by here

the same good wishes for a Happy and Fulfilling New Year 2024 to all of you.

5 Likes