Stimulation for patient in hospital

Yes, stroke recovery is very unpredictable - like the weather. You do the best you know how at the moment. That’s what we did with my mother.

Her amazing physical recovery was never really celebrated because her emotional mind was in such decay. Oh well…it is all trial and error, as you say. All you can do is just go forward.

Best of luck in your continued recovery.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the really kind and helpful replies.
I am just coming home from a tough visit to the hospital. He has made some great improvements in the last few days, starting to get some feeling and movement back on his right side and he’s able to speak in full sentences, but he’s now more conscious and is getting very distressed which is so hard to see. I’m trying to reassure him and tell him about his progress but he’s very confused and a lot of what he says doesn’t make sense.

The doctors always want to manage expectations, which I do understand but we all need hope too.

It’s really early days I know but it’s so hard to see him in such distress.

4 Likes

Hi Poppy1, so sorry to hear about your Dad.
@EmeraldEyes is spot on with her comments and I can relate to all that she has written.
Looking back my first year was hell but it does improve and get easier, dont push him and let him go at his own pace. Wishing your Dad a speedy recovery👍🏻

3 Likes

@Poppy1 it’s really though to see those we love upset & ill and not being able to do anything for them. Stroke recovery is very much about patience and time & there will be good and bad days. In time a new normal will emerge & you’ll both adapt to this new normal.

Throughout it all though please make aure you take time to look after yourself. It’s really important. Don’t be afraid to accept help offered too.

Wishing you all the best.

Ann

3 Likes

@Bobbi i remember my physio saying to me that they only know about 10% of how the brain works so yes i think there is so much of stroke recovery is still a mystery…

4 Likes

@Mrs5K

Sorry to diverge from the subject of this thread, but I’d like to add that I believe the true experts on the subject of stroke are those directly affected by it.

Also, if my experience is true, we tend to imagine that someone will be along with all the answers. Maybe that is a direction which will likely lead to disappointment.

I could write so much more.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

6 Likes

Yes, the true experts are those who’ve had strokes, as well as their carers. Ask them!

Many things we were told after my mother had a brain bleed stroke were 100% wrong. We found out through experiencing it.

Take good care.

4 Likes

@Matthew1798

You too, Matthew. I think we just have to find our own way, but supporting one another does help a lot, which is why, as far as I am concerned this Forum and those who use it has been a big part of my life since the stroke. Its good to be able to say how you feel but also, just as much, good to see how others are getting along.

4 Likes

Hi @poppy1 just wondering how your Dad is doing, and how you’re doing this week? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for asking. He has made some good progress in the last week. It’s amazing to see the change each day. He has been quite distressed but I think he is understanding what has happened a little better now and we are getting better at working out what he is trying to say or ask us.

How is your mum?

4 Likes

I’m glad your Dad is making progress. I agree that as Mum has become more aware of what has happened it seems to have thrown her for six. She can’t believe that she has had a stroke, that happens to ‘other’ people.

Mum is doing pretty good at home. It’s a period of adjustment for sure and it’s early days, so we are all finding our feet and what works best, but I am sure we will get there eventually, wherever ‘there’ ends up being.

We had the stroke nurse visit today who will be with us for at least 6 weeks - she was brilliant - spent lots of time with us all, talking about Mum, Dad and me and how the process affects us all. She will be our focal point of contact during this next stage and it feels comforting to know that. I am honestly surprised just how excellent the support has been thus far.

I hope your Dad continues to make good progress - great that you’re finding ways to communicate with him, I am sure that helps him feel less frustrated.

Look after you too, I know everyone says that but it’s so important x

3 Likes