Spasticity after stroke

Hi Simon & thanks for your reply.

I had a lumbar puncture which diagnosed the MFS, doctors still don’t know the cause… bacterial or viral.

I fully understand about the hand curling thing especially in the cold weather (not liking forward to another winter with this)

I’m waiting for a referral to a pain clinic, it’s been months now, I’ll keep struggling on til then.

Because the stroke clinic discharged me before these symptoms started, doctors have been focusing on my seizures & MFS but maybe the stroke is the issue.

Hope all goes well with you.

Take care.

Take care

2 Likes

Thanks Roland for your reply :heart:

1 Like

You’re welcome

bear in mind I know little about miller fischer Syndrome, other than it’s an auto-immune problem. My scenario is for the average stroke survivor. Spasticity sets in from almost the beginning, not so much after a year.

good luck, ciao , Roland

1 Like

I don’t think anything’s urgent :slight_smile: but it could be valuable if we start putting our heads together in a concerted sort of way :slight_smile:

@SimonInEdinburgh Here is a start: SPASTICITY:

Tara Tobias “Rehab HQ” all her videos are excellent
Stroke.Rehablitation. The simple guide to spasticity after stroke. Post Stroke Dr. Elyse Newland

Spasticity – Causes, Symptoms and Treatments spasticity in general
Mindfulness Meditation Effects on Poststroke Spasticity: A Feasibility Study - PubMed mindfulness and spasticity

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2666506921000122 Strength training and spasticity
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/strokeaha.111.639831 post stroke spasticity management.
Early Identification, Intervention and Management of Post-stroke Spasticity: Expert Consensus Recommendations
Early Identification, Intervention and Management of Post-stroke Spasticity: Expert Consensus Recommendations - PMC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGohuNRFOtM weight bearing tips for spasticity.

All of Dr. Elyse Newland’s you tubes are great, also Tara Tobias

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh @Outlander

I have added them to the ever growing list of resources!! To put into a format that doesn’t :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:I promise I’ll make some progress next day or two!! Just had a few bit on but have some time this weekend

K

:polar_bear: :wink:

Thnx :slight_smile:
Yes Tara and their elyse were always on the list.
I’ve actually posted there YouTube account links several times here, I think together with several others .

Do you think the rest of the links actually have the value that justifies their being included if we include other links of each quote value would we then be just duplicating the whole of Google?

@KGB where have you added them? I don’t think you’re UK benefits thread should be the home of international physiotherapy resources, do you?

I’m just putting a huge list of things together so if someone says physio - I put that in that section.

or the ‘physical recovery’ section just lots of posts in a doc. Early xamas gift for you ha ha

I am just focusing on benefits etc but if I collate the other bits I can then pass them on to a lovely person like yourself to sort out :rofl: :rofl:

K

Ok :slight_smile:
Have you searched YouTube & resources on here?

How r u 2 day btw?

Nope!! but i’ll add it to the growing list.

I guess actiually I should just do what i’ve got and then see whare I’m at!!

I’m ok cheers. 3 years for you this weekend!! wow. Will Lea do another youtube?!?!

How are you?!

JP has gone to birmingham till sunday so a good break for him I’m sure but now I have no one to shout at ha ha ha

K

Yep 3yrs 2mrw
Don’t think Lea will do another video.
I guess Aston villa were playing at home then?

1 Like

Wow - that’s gotta make you think!!

Fair enough. I don’t need something else to make me cry - again!

Yep they are 12.30 home to brighton tomo

We have Sheffield at home but I’m not going… Gonna have a proper rest this weekend. some wun tun soup and chocolate!!

I’ll save the next game for another competitive match not sheffield (sorry to shef u fans - but not really :rofl:)

K

Ohh chocolate sounds good :blush::+1:

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh I think the real science studies are valuable. yes. Many therapists for example, thought that strength training was bad for spasticity. This was wrong and the study explains. I usually trust University studies.

2 Likes

I am counting on strength to pull me out of spasticity & spasms. Right now, I can think of nothing better than strength… and stretching. Today, with the help of my physio, I made huge progress in understanding and managing my every other day knot in my glute. I need to further the exercises and stretch I was doing, but I feel I’m on the verge of a breakthrough. Also, today was the first time I was able to get on the floor which opens up a whole new series of possibilities with my stretches.

2 Likes

@pando Well good! if you can get on the floor, there is a lot of Buz about crawling as exercise for the hips, core, and all-round spasticity help. Tons of variations on youtube.
Best wishes.

1 Like

Hi @pando
Some of the stuff I’ve used, particularly with getting my arm freed over a range has a pattern to exercise of staying at 80% of range to stretch then hold for 30+ seconds then try for 90% then 101% of capability momentarily

I guess you have similar ?

Bobbi with your dexterity did you notice in the 18 months any moments dexterity was returning

1 Like

@Kevin83

Hi Kevin,
When I arrived home from hospital I hadn’t responded well to physiotherapy. Due to covid, so they told me, sessions were random and infrequent. I had a pair of limbs on my right side that were pretty much inoperative. I couldn’t walk, I couldn’t use my hand or arm in any useful way. I was pretty much chair and bed bound. I was quite depressed though I kept that to myself. I had the impression that improvement was unlikely.

After a couple of months at home, four months after the stroke, I decided that this wan’t good enough. I started to try to get myself together, instead of waiting for the professionals to sort me out.

There have been ups and downs since that time but generally it has been a path towards improvement. I’m not by any means recovered. Much of the changes have been slight but I am now far more able than I was and my outlook has improved and is in a better direction. I think, having looked at what others have achieved, I am capable of much more yet.

Changes were not big in a short term, but over time I have become able to do things I thought impossible eighteen months ago. I have a wife who cares for me, letting me find my own way and a determination to not allow this to defeat me.

Be kind to yourself, you have a future.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve been noticing it over the last few days most pointedly, few months less pointedly and the last 18 months more diffusely .

I’m 3 years today Today TODAY !!

takes constant work though, which I really feel I’m not equal to but that doesn’t mean I do nothing and it certainly doesn’t mean I’ve given up the certainty of more capability being excuse the pun within my grasp…