Skin Rash

Hi I had a stroke on 1 May. I was given the “super drug” and all seems okish. However on 8th May I started with hive looking rash, by end of that day covered me itching like mad. Between GP surgery refusing to see me for “just a rash” and 111 I eventually had video appt. Allergic reaction to the drug. 10th eventually got stronger antihistamine from GP, to be reviewed Monday. I have had horrendous weekend under cool showers, laying in cool baths…….anyone else had this???

2 Likes

Have you looked up the drug you have been prescribed to see what side effects it might cause ?
Most medicines have a list of minor and more serious side effects

2 Likes

Hi @Dido14
Welcome to the forum
You don’t say which ones you are on or how you have confirmed it’s a reaction to the drug?

There is only 1 other post out of 100k+ on this forum that mentions allergic drug reaction - in that case they were discussing atrovastatin Atorvastatin - #3 by smichael

Caio
Simon

2 Likes

Consultant has phoned, they are deeming allergic reaction to high dose aspirin.

3 Likes

@Dido14 hi & welcome to the community. That rash looks horrid & must be driving you mad. Hopefully the antihistamines will sort it out but it could take a while for it to settle properly. I had a reaction to a tablet years ago & was told by my GP it couldn’t be the meds but he agreed to change it anyway & the itching stopped jmmediately. The only thing i did was smoother myself in cream…anyone I could find as it cooled it down.

Really hope it settles quickly for you & make sure your records are marked to show you had a reaction.

2 Likes

Hi @Dido14 & welcome to the forum. When I was in hospital following my stroke (almost 3 years ago) I developed a horrible rash similar to yours. They gave me various things to try and treat it but they didn’t have much success. I found out they had changed my statin from simvastatin (that I had been on for some years) to Atorvastatin so changed it back and it cleared up!

Worth checking if you have recently started Atorvastatin?

Good luck with getting to the bottom of it. I hope your recovery journey goes well.

2 Likes

Thanks, yes over the week Drs looked at all meds, stopped the asprin and rash is slowly settling.

2 Likes

Hi @Dido14 just popped in to welcome you to the forum. I did have an allergic reaction like that but not to medication, it was due to the metal work put in my ankle after it was broken and one of the surgical wouldn’t heal either. Dermatology got involved and prescribed creams which did help but 3mths later they had to remove all the metalwork before it would heal :confounded: It still took nearly a year for the rash to clear.

Thankfully yours won’t take that long but I know the hell you’ve been through as if the stroke wasn’t enough :people_hugging:

2 Likes