Recovery struggle

It is now 3 months since my TIA followed by an endarterectomy.  My current most worrisome symptoms are shortness of breath and a persistent dull ache in my kidney area and an inability to sleep for more than four hours.  I have had antibiotics, blood tests and an X-ray.  I can see the test results online, but am not equipped to understand them fully.  It would appear that I am borderline acute kidney injury, borderline post inflammatory ateletactic but I haven't been able to discuss the results with a GP.  All of which drives me borderline insane with worry.  I need to pull up my Granny pants and brave the issues involved in trying to talk to someone qualified to help me. I am very aware that in regard to this current covid crisis I am small fry but I really feel that there is something wrong with my kidney function.  Oh to wake up one morning and get out of bed with none of the accompanying aches and pains of my recovery.  To feel fit and ready to take on my life.  Jo Biden is a year older than me, look what he is undertaking. He is engaging with the world and I am unable to engage in what should be a simple phone conversation.  However I am going to make a cup of coffee, I wonder if Jo Biden can do that.  Marylin

Hi Marilyn,

My name is Kay I had my stroke in March 18. I am now a retired from the NHS.  After my stroke I  listened to what the doctors had to say and then forgot most of it on purpose. I decided I didn't have the energy to worry about stuff I couldn't change. I needed to do everything I could to be able to walk and climb up stairs to go to bed. With a super amount of effort I achieved that goal. In time other goals to. I almost didn't sleep well for the first year after my stroke.  Currently I am captain of the Olympic sleep team.

I admire your efforts to get on with your recovery. I think your right the new American president wouldn't know how to make an excellent cup of tea but you do ??.

Hang in there stay safe be strong but most importantly keep posting 

Kay

Well said Kay.

ignore what had happened during stroking , deal with the recovery.

spend as long as it takes to get good sleep.

aim to walk.

smile

you are not alone

colin

Thank you for you kind words Kay.  I too set my goals and worked on my recovery myself, my wrist and hand are almost back to normal,but lack of sleep makes me tired and teasy and apt to slip in the slough of despond for the odd day..  then I amuse myself by writing rubbish for all to read.

I have slowly built up my walking time to half an hour a day but need to do more.  The only trouble is it tires me out and then I cannot stop myself nodding off during the day.  My theory was the wrist and hand were not getting messages from the brain to move,  so you need to keep issuing those instructions in order to make the brain find different pathways,you also need to make the wrist and hand do some body learning, re educate them by continually moving them whilst as you are asking your brain to do it.  Or should I say shouting and swearing at your brain to re connect with paralysed parts.  All very non scientific.  It worked for me.  I see on my notes it says I am a very determined woman, as the naval surgeon commander in charge used to address me as 'Hello Trouble' (there were problems with my op)I read determined as 'b....y minded'. Marylin

Nice one Marilyn, my mother used to say for a definition of stubborn meet Kay?

Works for me!

Hi Marylin

Sorry to hear things difficult. It is so frustrating and annoying when you can't do the things you did before, especially when your mind wants to do it all but your body won't let you!  With all this covid you can't get the answers you want and feel you are a nuisance, but keep persevering, Dr will understand a nd, and hopefully within next few weeks we can start getting some answers. The forum is good for airing your feel Jul nags! Keep going as I say, it h a s to get better. 

Thank you for you supportive comments. Marylin

Hello Marylin,

I think you are doing fabulously well. Even though at times it can be very frustrating.

I had a stroke Jan 24th 2021. I thought I was recovering well at home I'm only 53, A plan was put in place for me to to have a phased return to work and I've been doing it for  nearly 2 weeks and I did not bank on the sheer exhaustion I feel or the constant headaches. Climbing the stairs when I get home is a real challenge.

slowly but surely .....

Claire.

Dear Tiger

you are going so very well. Phased return to work within, what, six weeks  is amazing. 
for my benefit, am i right in thinking you work for NHS or similar ? Do the HR have stroke expertise ?

Was it ischemic, bleed, transient ?

i can not possibly return to work. Far too old anyway. I do afew hours per month voluntary admin stuff and thats more than enough. I also served on tables which made me feel useful. Covid stopped that.

A good friend  has managed to phase themselves back to work and i have followed their trials meticulously. Five years and i suggest they are now able to work efficiently. Had to be achived in small steps. They are about your age group.

i wish you well. Be kind to your brain, its the only one you can have.

colin

Thank you Colin. Much appreciated.

I do! I'm not sure if HR have any expertise!

I had a lancur  stroke. I was very lucky but just don't feel " right" .

It is not surprising that you do not feel right. Lacunar strokes are deep inside the brain. 
i cant believe how fast you have got back to work. When i went for a six week check up, the consultant commented how unusual it was for a patient (me) to walk in to his room.

no two strokes are the same. I reckon you are one of the special people who get away lightly. 

the tiredness may well be your brain rewiring around the damaged area. I refer to it as stroke fatigue. It is best if you rest while it does the rewiring. Give your brain plenty of water.

i went for many months when the SF would descend every two hours or so. Other SS can last a lot more than two hours. We are all different.

ideally your employers could consult with a stroke expert. And then arrange your working day to include necessary rests.

Be patient. Be strong.

smile a lot.

colin

Thanks Colin.

I had a chat with my manager today who is very supportive.

I'm taking another couple of weeks off then go from there.

Claire.

Thats good news. Stroke is a slow and gradual recovery. Rush and you may regress.

good to know your employer is considerate

colin