Pregabalin

I was prescribed it for nerve pain twice a day. I also have epilepsy due to my stroke 2 years ago & take Leveteracitam for that. I don’t think it helps too much for my nerve pain as I still get it so don’t know it it’s working. I’ve had no real side effects although I do have some weird dreams.

2 Likes

I had a stroke last September and was subsequently prescribed Pregabalin as I am suffering from Hyperesthesia. I went to see a private neurologist and he took me off it - thank goodness, as I discovered from a feature in the Daily Telegraph (Features, 5 March) that it is very addictive. He also took me off statins. I have since had nerve tests and a skin biopsy, which showed I have a mild small fibre neuropathy. He put me on a very small dose of Amitriptyline, which I have only been taking for a week.
If you do come off Pregabalin, you have to do so gradually. The lady who wrote the feature is down to 8 mg (0.2ml liquid) but gets terrible side effects if she tries to reduce it further. Good luck.

2 Likes

Someone else on here is up to 600mg with no side effects at all.
If I try to get beyond 3 doses of 75mg, ie make the morning one of them 100mg, I turn into a zombie, spaced and not really with it and it doesn’t seem to wear off.

What I am not sure about is whether it’s having a pain benefit. Only one way to find out but how to distinguish pain relief from withdrawal effects…

2 Likes

Hi. Well I got spaced out and like a zombie on 2 50mg a day!!! How on earth do people survive on such high doses?! My GP has now reduced my daily dose to 20mg twice a day. Im not really taking it for pain as such but more to try and get rid of this tight band round my head and the strange fuzziness. Good luck

2 Likes

Yeh the side effects are almost worse than what it is trying to cure. Some will wear off over time so it might need a judgement sometimes, stay with the zombie feeling for a few weeks for the benefit that will hopefully come.

I can’t deny it, it’s not pleasant but all of these seem to be a balancing act. Only you can decide if it’s worth it.

There are options to pregablin though which with your Dr you could explore.

1 Like