Personality & Stroke

@SimonInEdinburgh Thanks for your insight. I am pretty lucky all things considered in my journey so far. With the internet and social media I think Stroke is gaining awareness where younger people and celebrities talk about it without fear or shame. That helps to normalise the discourse to an extent.

Although researchers may or may not be able to define our experience and root it back to a neural network, there are a lot of common themes among survivors that would be so powerful to capture and share. I studied social sciences and god knows why I’m thinking about it now. I just thought ‘Bio-Social’ (I made that up in my head but it turns out is it a real theory ha ha!) - the interaction between the biological differences in brain/mind/body and the impact on social context, relationships and development. Perhaps an extension of it is ripe for exploration with Stroke. I’m going to have a look. :nerd_face::books:

2 Likes

You go for it girl. I’ve written to one of the researches associated with this hospital.
National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery : University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - click on research tab for;
“Get involved in research design”
Maybe one of the researchers can help. There’s an email contact.

My query was regarding simulating computer chip into damaged brain area after a bleed to help the neuron electric pathways on motor coordination.

3 Likes

Hi @RedFraggle
In that case have a read of this piece that I wrote on LinkedIn a couple years ago

The topic of sociology of digital community is something that I’m discussing with a number of different folk in the rehab and beginning to be in the academic community as well - demonstration of an understanding as capacity here too
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

I’m in contact with a few folk that you might be interested in .

One is investigating BCI that is brain computer interface for upper limb rehab .

Another company is developing a pneumatic glove as their first product and have the vision of reducing the impact of disability

Another is using apps to provide support of cognitive processes like remembering your shopping list or doing your exercises and using GPS to identify when you’re near the shop to tell you that you have actually got a shopping list - I spoke to them this morning :slight_smile:

Are you going to join us on zoom today or another Thursday? From 1pm

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

First WOW! Read your article. The concept of a virtual community centre / gym / surgery. Just WOW! I have sent a connection request if you’re happy to connect.
I will be able to join the cafe.

3 Likes

Hey Simon,
Yes I should be able to join the zoom. :+1:

3 Likes

@mikey903 @RedFraggle we are there now & will be for a while - drop in when yr ready
https//bit.ly/StrokeThuCafes

2 Likes

Hi @mikey903 please could you do me a favour and edit / remove your first sentence in your reply (not because I don’t appreciate it). I have recently learnt this forum is public to the extent it can be read by non members and via a google search. I am keen for personal or identifiable information to be removed. It is a shame but for now it is necessary. Please let me know once done, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Done. Hope that helps.

3 Likes