Partners stroke

Thanks for the constructive suggestions.  Another reply basically said it's necessary to push for answers and not give up.  I will try the GP's surgery and the Stroke Association helpline.  

Cheers.

Hi Shorty, you will always find support, advice and encouragement from the people on this site.  I could not have navigated the many issues of stroke without their help and friendship.  So keep posting, and asking for guidance ??

I think it is really sad how people who have had a stroke are soon forgotten. My mum was lucky, she had 5 months of physio, occupational and speech therapy when she was discharged from hospital. Then because if Covid, everything stopped. I have been  shown how to do exercises with her but feel she would have benefitted much more with regular physio sessions. As far as I'm aware there are no exercise classes or gyms for stroke survivors in the Manchester area. There should be more support out there.

Hi Tasha63 - in what area of Manchester is your mum?
I live in Oldham and Oldham Community Leisure (affiliated to the local authority) run classes for people with health conditions, including strokes. Their centres include Failsworth, which is on the borders of Manchester. 
If that isn't suitable it might be worth exploring whether Manchester City Council  has anything similar. 

Janet 

Hi Janet, that sounds great, we are East Manchester not far from Eithiad City Stadium. I will have a look on MCC website thanks so much for info!

You should have a look at a charity called ARNI (Action for rehabilitation from neurological injury). They do books and DVD with exercises for stroke survivors and have trainers throughout the country that come to you for exercise. 

Thank you Pamela for this information, I have never heard of the charity before. I will definately have a look in to it.

Hi Cherry Blossom, my husband had a stroke in July 2020 and is still in rehab. Here for a chat if you need it. Hope you're both ok x

Thank you. I have downloaded this to my Kindle and am finding it helpful so far x

Thanks for your reply. My husband has been home for a week now. It hasn't been easy, as expected. I'm hoping that as we get into a new routine with carers/physios ect it will start to become a little easier. 

Did you find when you first came home you were more tired? He seems to be sleeping A LOT and I know this is good for recovery but I'm worried about how much time he is spending sleeping. He is completely dependent on others to move him, needing 2 people with a rotunda, so he has to be in bed when I am home alone as I cannot get him out or in. Trying to create a routine with the carers to make it so that he is out of bed as much as possible. 

He also seems to be very anxious. We have a dog, so I have been out walking her whilst he has other family or carers with him, but he is calling me while I'm out asking where I am, when I will be back ect. This has become quite draining on me, as he's not fully understanding I need space. He was in hospital during COVID, so no visits, so it's kind of understandable that he wants to be together more but it's very difficult.

Sorry, I feel I've just done a bit of a brain dump there. In a nutshell - it's difficult now but I'm hoping things will get better 

Hi, just to say - it IS difficult, for both of you, there's no sugar-coating the situation.  However, your husband has clearly been assessed as well enough to return home, and if you are able to have a care package in place, hopeully things will gradually fall into place.  I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of sleep he needs, it will seem strange but his brain needs to switch off and get on with important tasks under the cover of sleep!  The anxiety goes with the territory unfortunately and most stroke survivors suffer this to different extents, but it will ease somewhat as time passes.  

I became somewhat fixated on how long recovery would take - looking back this wasn't helpful, because if my husband didn't make 'expected' progress it made me worry that something was wrong.  So, recovery is quite an individual process and depends on all sorts of variables!  You might want to keep a record of achievements, as sometimes this helps you see how far you have come.  I've continued to keep a diary 3 years later and still refer to it from time to time.  

Things will improve, and please keep in touch as you will always receive lots of support and advice from the lovely people on this site.  Best wishes to you both xx

I was very anxious at first when i was left on my own. My suggestion is before you go out with the dog agree how long you expect to be and arrange to ring him at a certain time/length of time. That worked for me. i think i felt a bit abandoned when left alone (which of course I wasn't) but a simple phone call was all it took to make me feel ok. My husband still rings me every lunchtime when he's out at work. He doesn't need to but it is nice to know he'll be calling me even if its a quick hello, are you ok, I've nothing to tell you so I'll let you get on .

Dear Emma

for the first few days i was indeed even more sleepy than ever.

i slept every two hours. For some months.

but i could move myself, with a lot of care. I got my wife to wash my hair, but i washed and even showered myself. But r

Rosemary was within hearing, if i got in to difficulty.

i decided i would get up every day. I slept sitting in the lounge, but not in bed. I very much took control of my own recovery but knew i was a big burden.

some of us would sleep 22hrs a day. I think i slept about 15 hrs a day. 

I do not understand why he needs to call you when you take an hour or two out the house. I made sure Rosemary was out the house for an hour or two every day.

i think you have to quickly get to the stage where you are away an hour or two every day. It will help keep you sane and will help hubby to recover. He has to take charge of his own progress.

anxiety is a pain. I cried a lot, which released the tension. I dont cry.....well i do now.

it does ease gradually. I still get emotional at some tv programs and i can not face a funeral. 

yes indeed, things do get easier. It is a slow slow process. A diary will help you appreciate how much recovery is happening.

best wishes

colin

3years and 5 months my hus band came home after his stroke and it is still an ongoing battle to get help with anything including physio 

I didn't stop mithireing depts with phone calls letters demanding to know why? His neurologist told us then discharged him!hasn't been under one since! He has a genetic heart disease and was under a cardiologist 14 years who did not think the atrial fibrillation was important enough to prescribe anticoagulant meds and arranged to see him in clinic 8 months later but he nev r made the clinic his stroke was colossal his left side of his body devastated he is still unable to walk he's had 2x 12 sessions from neurophysio in the community and nothing else we found  place called basic

brain and spinal injuries centre next to Salford Royal Hospital it's a charity so you have to pay but it's amazing place

he