Our MS brothers and sisters

Our brothers and sisters with MS share many of our symptoms and various websites contain info and exercises on neuroplasticity and the like. Here is a link to Dr. Gretchen Hawley on neuroplasticity and includes stroke. She also has various youtubes on great exercises for walking and such.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Outlander
There are many illnesses that share common symptoms / side effects so always worth looking at things like this.

2 Likes

Thx Derek,

I hope things are going reasonably well for you.
Have you followed any of her neuroplasticity exercises?
(ie. the 5-day MS strength challenge?)

Thanks for the link, ciao, Roland

4 Likes

@pando
@Mrs5K
Hi there Roland and Mrs.5K. I just happened upon the site yesterday and hope to try the exercises. I think I have been focusing too much on the strength exercises with weights because I used to love weight lifting. They seem not so much fun for the brain. Maybe we can try the 5 day challenge and compare notes. I’ve had a wee setback with the weather getting colder here…a spasticity trigger.
Are you making progress? Your electric eel was an interesting read. Sounds like the little gray cells are working to get new pathways
Best wishes, Derek.

4 Likes

Hi Derek,

Sure let’s compare notes in a few days
Same over here ; cold getting to me and I’m stiff and struggle,
Today it’s jaw locked, that’s linked to shoulders tight from the handle bars of my treadmill, locked-glute day, my eye is a wreck… waters, glands closed. Will I make it out of this mess?

Anyway, let’s hope these MS exercises are inspiring
ciao, Roland

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I have a very good friend with MS. As a matter of fact, she has done a great deal to help me with recovery. I want to be there for her as her disease progresses. The commonalities are uncanny. Fatigue is her biggest problem now. Mostly our discussions have revolved around conserving energy for the things most important to us. She to cook for her family and attend her husbands bike racing events, me to help out my family around the house and attend my grandson’s sporting events. Unlike me, she also has to expend a lot of energy at her job. I was in a hurry to get back to work, but now I am so glad I don’t have to try to deal with that as well.

3 Likes

Yes DeAnn,
this is the sort of critical management we have to do. And when we do expend energy, it has to be used as efficiently and smoothly as possible so we may reap the benefits as much as possible. A sort of “play our cards right” challenge. Good luck to your MS friend, and yourself. Kind of you to look after each other…

ciao, Roland

3 Likes

@DeAnn What a good friend to have DeAnn. I also have a friend with MS and she gets spasticity and pain. Her husband is the drummer in our band has diabetes and had to have half his foot amputated. They share many health problems. We all pray for each other.
You mention Conserving energy. I sometimes forget the words of my favorite therapist. “do everything slowly, but deliberately”. I am often impatient and move about, exercise, too fast and overthink things. This can hinder progress.

@pando Bad news Roland. Can’t do the Gretchen Hawley strength challenge. I don’t and won’t do facebook. So…she has a website full of many videos on exercise and I will go through those and pick the best.
Let me know how you get on. All the best DeAnn and Roland.
OOPS…Roland I just got an email that states I don’t have to go thru Facebook…good news.

4 Likes

that makes a lot of sense, Derek.
Along these lines, Dr Gretchen Hawley mentions strengthening the neural pathway, not just the muscle itself. Also, follow through the thought process from 1) intent to do something to 2) messaging the muscle to 3) completion of whatever task you set yourself…

4 Likes

I have to absolutely agree with this! I don’t seem to be able to do many things until I have “seen” myself do it first in my imagination, then told myself how to do it, then when to do it. Doesn’t always work, but much more often than not. When I get tremors I vocally tell them to stop and slap my leg or arm just a little more than gently. I have to tell myself to walk like a human or I drag the left leg and stoop as if I have Osteoporosis. There is no reason for me to walk like that other than I see a little better looking down and dragged the left until it worked well enough to actually use it. I don’t feel the left much but I am aware it is there and that it knows how to walk. I don’t know if I am making sense to anyone and it sounds silly but again mostly seems to work.

4 Likes

Yes DeAnn,

It’s bewildering to realize that there’s nothing wrong with our muscles (stroke-side) yet they look ungainly and perform badly. But it’s not their fault, poor muscles. It’s the rapport brain / muscle which is lacking, and we need to encourage a quality connection between the two. Then smooth out the connection between the two, more and more. Visualization is key; that’s why I like the article by Hawley on following through the movement to completion.

I’m just thinking aloud. Take care
Roland

1 Like

Did you guys start any sort of cooperative pursuit of your goals using exercises the video?

1 Like