Mischievous Arm

At a guess…
Any tiredness from typing will be a minor component amongst the potential for fatigue from the mental effort required to construct whatever it is you’re typing - especially if you’re using spreadsheets! (Can we ask what is your work?)

On the frozen shoulder front, Tara Tobias has a good video that the first of all gives some pointers onto how to verify the frozen shoulder is the condition and then if it is gives exercises to get it moving
Here’s the link

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Thank you for the video. I shall have a look. My frozen shoulder has been diagnosed by a physio so am hoping they got it right…but you never know.

You are right re the mental effort required for my job. I do use some spreadsheets but nowhere near as many as I did. I used to do data & statistics but post stroke no longer able so they moved me to a different role. I am a civil servant & spend my time writing business cases now. Exciting hey :rofl:

1 Like

Net present value and intangible benefit eh?
Hope it’s not for IT systems!

Do you know https://www.amazon.co.uk/Realising-Benefits-Government-ICT-Investment/dp/1906638268

A good read

1 Like

Nope thankfully nothing whatsoever to do with IT. :grin:

1 Like

Yeh but there’s a big difference between no pain no gain and excruciating pain that could inflict further stress and injury to your shoulder. So you only do these exercises in small and bearable increments :wink:

3 Likes

@Mrs5K my mate used the following techniques rather than getting cortisol injection. Not sure if it will be any good for you or not. He says it was good results.

Steve

2 Likes

You do tend to build up a lot tension gradually in your shoulders/arms while you’re typing. Your should can rise towards your ears. So get into the habit of pushing yours shoulders down and stretch your neck up between typing, to help reduce the amount of tension that builds up. And give your arm a light massage from time to time, from just above the elbow, and work your way up between the bicep and tricep. That tends to be where I feel a line of tension, like bruising, all the way up the upper arm.

1 Like

@Steevo_fife thank you. I’ve had a watch & will give some a go. It can’t do any harm…i think :grin:

Ann

1 Like

The computer program i have on my work computer that forces me to take a break also shows stretches etc to do whilst I’m taking a break :grin: i do as best i can. I’ll add a massage to the regime.

What with arm exercises, eye exercises, leg exercises i’ll have no time for work :rofl: it’s no wonder I’m exhausted :grin: xx

2 Likes

Hope it gives some relief. He is back offshore so can’t phone him.
Good luck

2 Likes

I’ll back @Steevo_fife’s suggestion to try 100% Acupressure will certainly sort it out. That’s what all the physios and osteopaths do anyway, your just cutting out the middleman by doing it yourself and saving yourself time and money :wink:

Just give the shoulder to rest and recover for a few days after any work you do on it. So just use heat therapy in between sessions and a little gentle exercise to keep it mobile. One day a few days after one of those sessions you might find your pops, clicks or clunks and suddenly you find your shoulder that bit more free moving. That’s the way it tends to go for me whenever I’ve used it in the past, and I’ve used for many things.

1 Like

I shall be trying everyone’s suggestions to find the one that works best for me right now then move on to more difficult ones as my shoulder eases.

I tried one from Simon’s suggestion yesterday but it didn’t go so well & i ended up in a heap on the floor - it was one you did lying on the bed only my dodgy leg decided to tip me off the bed :rofl::rofl::rofl: i’ll try an easier one first I think :thinking:

I get a lot of clicking, cracking & popping. A bit like a percussion orchestra. :drum::drum: I’ll miss it when it’s gone :grin::grin:

2 Likes

When I first had the stroke I tried to explain my problems with my mischevious hand (the right one and fortunately I am left handed)n to my GP and he asked “are the problems cognitive or muscular?” and I thought “silly bloke, of course they’re cognitive, my stroke happened to my brain not my arm” but with the residual problems I still have I’m now not so sure. When I consciously try to make my hand do things it’s fairly well behaved, but what about all the times when I’m not thinking about it - when I’m asleep or reading a book. Over the 2 1/2 years since my stroke my hand probably has become physically weaker so when it misbehaves it now may be muscular rather than cognitive naughtiness.

1 Like

@FionaB1 there’s probably something in that. That’s why i’m wondering if it is my frozen shoulder causing the problem rather than my stroke. I guess i’ll find out when I go for physio. My arm will go back to a normal position if I consciously think about it.

They are very mischievous aren’t they :grin:

1 Like

When I was in the rehab unit, one of the ladies in there really did have a mischievous arm. She lost the use of her dominant hand in the stroke and had to learn to use her other hand. All went well, up to a point.
When she was reading in the rehab unit and using her normally working hand to turn pages, her previous dominant hand decided it still wanted to be involved as it had before. It would grab the book or magazine and fight the other hand for control of it. She described it that it was like something out of a film.
She had no control of it when this was happening.

2 Likes

Now that really is a mischievous arm. I can just imagine the scene as one arm battled with the other.

1 Like

Oh now that is just so mischievous :laughing: If I had that hand I’m pretty sure my family would want me to keep it. I’d the party piece at all family get togethers, particularly with the little one :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You have my sympathies Anne, a frozen shoulder is soo incredibly painfull … I had one some years ago and it often made me cry with pain. I went privately to see a rheumatologist as my doc couldn’t get me a hospital appointment, and she was brilliant and showed me things to do and wrote to my doctor … she said it’s a pain no one realises how bad, until they get it and she had seen grown men cry over it … my husband was really good and did excercises on my arm and shoulder everyday and was a huge help … hope things improves for you soon x

2 Likes

@Ismeval thank you. At times the pain is excruciating. I thought I was being a wimp initially but when I saw my dr they said how painful it can be which made me feel better as I knew then I wasn’t being a wimp.

I’m exercising away & it is easing a bit. Hopefully it’ll resolve soon xx

1 Like

I’m sorry that you found the exercises painful but very unusually Tara - the physio in the video I shared - said that there will be pain and you have to push through it.

I think every other condition I’ve ever experienced being treated physios say don’t cause yourself any pain . I gather/ remember from the video that there are elements of the shoulder cuff that stick together and they have to be freed up. Also the clicking and that funny feeling when it clicks are the tendons and muscles shortening through non-use - and so jumping out of the grooves that they normally run in so they have to be coaxed back to function in a more normal manner so they don’t jump out anymore

I had a vibrating shoulder harness that was also heating, and volterol, and cool-packs & Lea massaged it. The voltarol and cool packs calmed it down enough for the massage and exercises and the heat and vibration helped loosen it .

There is a young lady I spoke to this week who is investigating the use of vibration to reduce pain caused by tone and I certainly found the vibrating shoulder harness - bought on Amazon I could search for a link if it will help - to be soothing although not curing

Ciao
Simon