Mindfulness - True and False

Article below looking at the topic of mindfulness.

4 Likes

@Nigelglos

I seriously believe there is something that can be of value there. You could say the same thing about religion, politics or football.

In the main I believe that the value is available to those participating and that critique and discussion of such matters only results in much turning about with chasing of one’s own tale, or should that be tail?

So please go and try it but don’t expect too much if you simply want meaningful discussion.

I do believe we should each of us make a go of speaking our own truth, though at times we will not necessarily always meet with agreement.

I must admit to being partial to the content of many articles published by the Guardian, but the term Expert does provoke large question marks in my critical faculties. I would prefer not to be told what I should think.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :+1:

1 Like

It’s not the knowing that is the challenge (or the benefits) but the doing & doing for a period of time that has significance

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh
p;ease elaborate and give an example of the doing (and doing for a while)
please educate an old so and so, who would like to grasp this particular concept

1 Like

In my view, mindfulness is a popular package of wellbeing practices that performed as a whole may improve a person’s existence. It’s collated from pre-existing meditative and existential exercises in order to make it accessible to most people. I admit, I have found some useful techniques, and cherry picked what works for me, but then again, I wade through the likes of Rousseau, Descartes, Sartre, and Russell for pretty much the same reason. :joy: However, for me personally, I tend to avoid didactic application of these kinds of principles, especially when fronted with verbs like; should, must, need &c. Unless, expressed in an indirect way.

All the things that have been useful for me, apropos mindfulness, have been controlled breathing, being in the present state and observing the body and mind in that state, and sensory grounding. These techniques have seen me through some rough moments and, to be honest, at times, so has a beer and some trash telly.

2 Likes

It is possible I find to think of nothing, not for long but it is possible. Needs to be a location with nothing going on.

2 Likes

@Azhar-Ali

The article gives examples of some mindfulness like eating a banana, breathing, others are replacing unhelpful thoughts with untroubling thoughts.
Setting them out is knowing .
Doing them is breathing or eating the banana .

Doing them consistently is considering the taste and other sensual actions reactions every time whenever one eats or whenever thoughts are unhelpful or perhaps having a regular slot everyday during which to be meditative. Again describing it here is knowing but having just completed your 7th contemplation in 7 days is actually having done…

I hope that clarifies?

Caio
Simon

1 Like

I am not stroke survivor (my mum is however), but I had a mental breakdown in 2017. I had been meditating for years before, but had got out of the habit. In order to recover and rebuild my brain’s capacity, I returned to mindfulness and other meditation practices. I then became so busy with work since the pandemic I fell out of the routing.

But since my mum’s stroke with the worry, I’ve picked it up again.

It’s been a lifeline for me. It stops me from overthinking which in turn eases depression and anxiety. I find that when you slow down your thoughts you can reflect on your emotions and then figure out where they’re originating. Then you have a better chance to tackling the source which may not be what you thought.

I also started chanting a Buddhist chant last summer and it is so helpful. I chant for other people, problems and for my own life. It takes a while to get used to, mind. But I’ve settled into it and love doing it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can you explain what you do and when you do it and “how you think” & feel &c ( if that’s the right qn) ?

Thnx

1 Like

@EMG72

I was introduced to this mindfulness stuff twenty or so years ago as part of an after care package after treatment for a couple of heart attacks. This was offered by the hospital with a dozen or so taking advantage of it in each session. I think something similar could be made available as after-treatment from a stroke ward.

It is very relevant at a time when there is confusion, stress, lowered confidence, loss of direction and so on.

Something of this nature could be offered as weekly evening classes online.

I feel quite strongly that this could be useful, but even more, essential for well-being and positive outcomes.

I will be pressuring for this as the opportunity arises. I believe this is an issue the Stroke Association is looking at right now but as these things always come down to funding it is important that the government and the NHS gives its proper attention.

Poor health costs money so an efficient health service pays for itself by producing and maintaining healthy citizens. Not fashionable maybe but undeniable, certainly. It could in fact have a political selling point.

Incidentally mindfulness gave me permission to play computer games, which I had actually viewed as time wasting, but immersing myself for an hour in a computer game turned out to be an excellent stress buster. I ended up a Mentor, a sort of Super Moderator in a very successful international but British based and produced online game, but that is another story.

I have heard others say the same. This approach is not for everyone but intense involvement in an activity for an hour now and then can be beneficial, I am sure.

In the same way there are many forms of yoga each suited to a particular outlook or personality, but each in its own way aiming for the same goal.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

That’s interesting as a component of interpretational sense making… I’ve just posted about laying some slabs in the garden. I wonder if the immersive activity of things such as levelling the ground with sieved soil, a 2 by 4 and the spirit level counts as mindful?

It has many of the characteristics of playing a computer game - objective, adversity and failure, step by step strategy, stop rewind try again,… especially when virtually every step with my feet is the potential to fall over and I definitely trip if ANYTHING is there to trip over and even if there isn’t

More and more I’m seeing descriptions of mindfulness that equate to concentrate on achieving a goal as a candidate definition alongside my mental picture of incense cross-legged chanting of the universal chant “Om Mani Padme Hum”

?

2 Likes

I think, an activity like laying paving stones has mindful properties involved in its process, especially being mindful of your toes. :joy:

2 Likes