I had a TIA on Friday

What a fantastic group of people you all are!
thank you so much @MinnieB and @Mrs5K and @EmeraldEyes and @clibbers1
I have had a tiny TIA which I could easily have ignored or brushed off as a migraine @clibbers1 .
I fully intend to take this as a very lucky escape and behave, but will hopefully get the statin dose lowered in time with GP support when they are happy the cholesterol is low enough. I wonder how much lower than 4.3 they want it.
As for all of you who mentioned that we are somehow ‘blamed’ for this happening to us (we are lazy/overweight etc) I could not agree more! I think this can happen to anyone.
@Mrs5K (Ann) thank you I am doing fine a bit teary I think but ok.
@MinnieB gosh yes that does sound similar. I actually thought how lucky I was that I was awake and knew it was happening.

Thank you all again you are just lovely I have tears running down my face at how much kindness you are all showing me
Toni x

3 Likes

Having a stroke is a shock and a bit of an emotional roller-coaster we’ve all been through. That will calm down over time as will the fear of having another one.

This forum provides us with the kind of support and insight the NHS just hasn’t the time to give. And the medical professions just don’t have the lived experience, some of that can’t even be put into words, if indeed the words exists.

But we get other here! And we can stay for as long as we want or need. We can rant or have a laugh, advise or sympathise, its all good and no one judges. And with all our different strokes there’s someone for everyone here :people_hugging:

4 Likes

@EmeraldEyes
Oh I can see that just from the replies everyone has so kindly given to me. The whole forum though has so much information I am finding out loads.
Thanks again I’m sure I will return to normal emotionally (for me at least!) very soon.
Take care ((()))
Toni x

2 Likes

Hi Toni @Mabel1 that’s a very kind thing for you to say. It is a great group of people here who all want to help each other.

Emotions being all over the place initially is very common. I know at the start if someonecsaid hello i’d burst into tears. I’m not that bad now but still have my moments :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

My cholesterol is now 3.8 which they seem very happy with but different drs might have different views on it. My LDLs are still a bit higher than they’d like. Hopefully you can find the right dose for you once things have settled down

Look forward to hearing how you’re getting on.

Best wishes

Ann x

1 Like

Thanks Ann my lovely pharmacist says they are happy if it’s under 4.
So fingers crossed I will be there quickly given I’m starting on 4.3
Take care yourself
Toni xx

3 Likes

Hi @Mabel1 ,
I had my stroke 8 years ago. Like you had low blood pressure, low cholesterol and was a healthy 9st 44 year old, but did/do suffer from migraines with aura. I have a hole in my heart - you may have one too - if so and you’re worried about ever having a stroke or TIA again, then ask/push for PFO closure.
As for statin - I started taking it after my stroke as prescribed, but recently asked to be taken off it as my cholesterol has continued to be low, the GP agreed it made no sense tobeon it really - I don’t know why I didn’t come off it earlier. I’d rather keep my cholesterol under control through my diet.
Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks @RuOxley that’s great to hear you are now safely off statins. Interesting you are another person who has migraines with aura.
That makes 3 of us I think on this thread alone.
I am waiting to get called for a heart scan if it is a PFO I will ask for the closure.
Thanks again
Toni x

1 Like

It gets mentioned generally enough that there is probably a link (26 relevant refs to aura on here)

I used to get the aura (pulsing writhing ribbons of black and white triangles that lasted 20 mins during which they grew from a dot to right across my vision) without any pain

Havn’t had one since the majority stroke (MRI says I have had multiple ‘silent’ ones) - maybe it’s the meds controlling the cause?
Caio
Simon

2 Likes

So interesting @SimonInEdinburgh There really is a connection possibly.
My Aura is like a opaque jelly like dot which grows and is usually a ‘c’ shape it gets bigger until it covers most of one eye (but can be seen through both. Then it also seems to shimmer? Gradually subsides and its totally gone within 40 minutes.
Thanks I will look into all the refs to aura out of interest.
Toni x

2 Likes

Hi I am a 56 year old who walks regularly and other than being a little bit overweight (BMI 28) considers myself healthy. I too have had migraines with aura since a child and 3 weeks ago had a TIA with numb R arm and jumbled speech. I was started on 80mgs statin, aspirin and clopidogrel.
Since my TIA I have been having bouts of fatigue and having times where I feel emotionally overwhelmed - crying, without knowing why!
I’m off work and keen to go back but having doubts about these bouts of fatigue and emotion.
Just wondered if anyone else here experienced similar and how long it lasted for?

2 Likes

Hello @Andi.A & welcome

All that you describe is very common. As is the desire to get back to work. Many people’s reality is the work is months or years away. You say a TIA in which case your symptoms should be temporary and maybe the fatigue will be too :slight_smile: fingers crossed for you!

You should rest whenever you feel the need. The healing of the brain takes a lot of energy and it has first call.

The fatigue can be brought on by lights, noise people, multitasking, screens EG TV & phone and just about anything else

Learning to manage it takes a while but most of us do most of the time. Some of the stuff that we often repeat is in the Welcome post

Reading the many threads on here is your best way of finding out about the new reality - that can be directed purposely by using the magnifying glass above to search for topics that are relevant to you

Very likely others will be alone to say hello and give you other perspectives
Caio
Simon

2 Likes

Thanks for your welcome and taking the time to reply :slight_smile:

You’re right about the things that seem to trigger the bouts of fatigue. Lights, noise etc

Will try and listen rather than fighting it

What a great place this forum is

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Andi.A, you are certainly in the right place for assurances. Chances are, like me, your fatigue will reduce to bouts when you’ve over things but only time will tell. Certainly for the coming months your brain is working hard to heal itself and fatigue is its friends. It’s making you rest when it needs it and that will be frequently.

And yes, your emotions are going to be all over the place, you’re naturally in shock, the worry and stress of having a stroke and any major trauma can make you over emotional in just the same way. We have experienced that in the beginning; and some of it will be from the disruption in your brain. If it doesn’t settle down in the coming weeks/couple months then you might need to address it with either your stroke doctor or gp, but until then I wouldn’t worry about, just go with the flow. After all crying is a release of pressure, your brain will thank you :wink:

You are in the very early days of post stroke, they say the first 6mths to is the most crucial time of recovery stroke/TIA so just concentrate on taking care of yourself and resting as much as your fatigue demands.

2 Likes

@Andi.A hi & welcome to the community. It is difficult to say how long the fatigue will last as it varies so much but resting in the early days is a must I would say.

I had a TIA just begore Christmas & the fatigue I got from that was awful. I’d had a stroke 2 years earlier & still had fatigue so think it compounded it. The difference this time though was Ibwas back at work. I continued at work after the TIA but eventually had to concede & take time out. My advice is not to rush back if you don’t have to.

Best wishes

Ann x

2 Likes

Hi, sorry to hear you’ve had a brain incident. It sounds as if the docs are covering all the bases and that statins may not be something you have to have ongoing. I have familial disaster cholesterol so I need to medicinally treat it to avoid any more strokes or heart attacks. What has come to light following my stroke and subsequent cardio checks and MRI scan is that my stroke was typical of a PFO related Cardio Vascular Accident which I am getting fixed by one of the top guys in July! Very lucky. It also seems that migraine with aura can be an indicator for PFO. A PFO, a previous contributor rightly said, affects 1 in 4 of the human population but does not cause problems for everyone. I have been looked after brilliantly by the NHS, I have to say.
Hopefully you’ll be tested for a PFO via a bubble echocardiogram, painless and effective. Good luck, stay positive!
As several medics have said to me, the medicines are putting you in a better position than you were before which is good and positive!

2 Likes

Isn’t it just? everyone has been incredibly supportive towards me most undeserved I have offered nothing (yet maybe) in return.
Take care @Andi.A I understand how you feel ((()))
Toni x

3 Likes

Actually that’s not true at all. Everyone who comes on here give something of themselves, make a contribution! Just by posting your story, issues/trials/success your post garners replies, and all those replies help others as well as the original poster such as your good self :blush: So never believe you are undeserving or not contributing here because that just isn’t true :people_hugging:

1 Like

Thank you @EmeraldEyes that is so kind and you are probably right I have read so many of other people’s stories, old threads etc and they ahve helped me.
Yes I’ll take that thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Toni x

1 Like

@Mabel1 I agree with @EmeraldEyes that just by sharing your story you are helping others and I’m sure there will be many future opportunities for you to help others too. Xx

3 Likes

Thank you @Mrs5K :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I will definitely do my best to ‘pay back’ the kindness I have received.
Toni x

2 Likes