Hello from a Newbie 😊

Thank you so much for your warm welcome, you all have wise words and it really is nice to know I’m not the only one feeling like this!! :blush: xx

2 Likes

Hi Sammy and welcome! I am 59 now but had my stroke when I was 48 and also not the typical candidate for a stroke. My stroke itself was typical and it took me a quite a while to reach what is referred to as my “New Normal”. I won’t go into my whole history and story here but after an exhausting amount of tests over many months, it turned out that I have a defective gene, a rare occurrence, that makes me prone to blood clots. It is hereditary and my brother has the issue also although thankfully hasn’t had a stroke but at least he was able to notify his doctor and get it noted on his chart. My encouragement is to give them time to work through this and hopefully they will come up with some answers to help guide your treatment. I also would advise, while it may be difficult at first, try not to let the fear of another stroke consume your time and rob you of enjoying the present! Take care and stay in touch as this group lets you know that you are not alone.

Doug

3 Likes

Hi Doug, thank you for taking the time to reply, this is a very special group and I really do appreciate all the support and advice. I’m really trying to get my positive head on and be present! Take care and thank you again! X

1 Like

Sammy, try some puzzle books to stretch your brain. initially you’ll tire. Also keep a diary, write even your thoughts, feelings and emotions. It really helps. It’s all about pace, priorities and planning for your mental and physical health.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome Sammy, i had my stroke, on 20th oct last year, out the blue, no warning, i find that its the little things thats the hardest to do, , the things that you do without thinking about them, i will say that given time and rest your brain will rewire its self and you will relearn how to do things again , Regrds Dave

2 Likes

Hi Davey, thank you, sorry you’ve suffered too! I think I’m struggling at the moment with the “invisible illness” I look and sound fine! Speech wobbles a bit when I’m tired but it’s the old brain that is struggling! :blush: x

3 Likes

Hi Mikey, I’ve got a new book and thought I’d start a journal! I’ve also started colouring! Initially it was to help my fine motor skills (couldn’t write initially) now I colour to relax and help my mind switch off! Thank you :blush: x

3 Likes

I started colouring too. It was great for my rehab & getting my arm functioning again. Now, like you I do it to relax.

2 Likes

I’m a little late with this, but Just saying Hi and welcome Sam,

I’ve only been a member for short time.

There’s a wealth of knowledge & Support on here.

My only regret is that I didn’t join much earlier.

Wishing you the best

Sincerely

Paul

2 Likes

Hey Paul, thank you so much! It certainly is a great forum and I’m so glad I joined. Hope you’re recovering well :blush: x

2 Likes