Had a terrible day ? Really tired ? Snore?

I just wanted to flag that sleep apnea might be a cause behind a very bad day. It might not be directly related to stroke.

If in doubt, definitely get checked out.

This is the App which comes with the sleep apnea machine.

I was wasted yesterday, so tired, couldn’t function very well. Essentially sleep deprivation throughout the night.
An Apnea event (stop breathing) over 30 times on average per hour.

Last night 18. A score of 5 or below is not considered as sleep apnea.

Today, I’m expecting a good alert day by comparison

3 Likes

Hope you do get a good day today.

You are right that not everything we suffer is necessarily stroke related and new or persistent symptoms should be checked out.

This is the thing as time passes after stroke, and it does pass, we may acquire further and other conditions, completely unrelated to stroke, yet, exasperated and exacerbated by it.

2 Likes

From what I have read Rups, it’s not at all uncommon (as below).
For something that perhaps 1 in 2 of us might get (taking the middle figure) I am surprised it’s not mentioned a bit more often.
Osa is obstructive sleep apnea, when the windpipe closes.
Cheers
Nige

“Sleep-disordered breathing after stroke presents as OSA or central sleep apnea (CSA) or both. OSA is more common than CSA after stroke, 30% to 70% versus 6% to 24%, respectively. Although OSA is the result of mechanical narrowing and collapse of the upper airway, CSA occurs because of lack of central respiratory drive.CSA may be associated with underlying heart disease in a subset of patients with stroke. CSA most often occurs as a consequence of stroke, particularly medullary or bilateral hemispheric stroke,and may improve or resolve within a few months poststroke, whereas OSA is an independent risk factor for stroke but may also develop or continue as a result of the stroke.”

1 Like

Hi Rups!

How are you?

How is your anxiety?

1 Like

Do you think you have Central Sleep Apnea or Obstructive Sleep Apnea?

Let me know.

Take care.

Noswaith dda Matthew, my levels of anxiety fluctuate, depending on how tired or stressed I am. I’m getting more proficient at coping with what I call turbulence, when my symptoms spiral or incongruous feelings or sensations arise. I’ve been close to a couple of panic attacks this month, but I am using some DBT skills to get me to a more even ground with these sorts of life interruptions. Hope you are doing well.

1 Like

I get really dizzy and lightheaded when I used to have panic attacks. I think I’m going to faint. I didn’t always get a racing heartbeat, though.

They’re terrible, those panic attacks!

I am happy to hear that you’ve been able to stop your attacks from becoming full-fledged.

By the way, did you ever wean off that anti-depressant? I cannot remember what you told me last. I got worse from medication, actually, but others find success. Sometimes you do what you have to do to get by. You don’t have any other choice.

Take good care.

3 Likes

Both Matthew.
I can see the split on a report on the cpap machine. There seems to be uncertainty in the NHS support team on exactly what the reported figure means which doesn’t help clarity.

They advised it was a cumulative figure. I pointed out that was unlikely as it shows figures after the decimal point. No one has half an apnea.

2 Likes

I am still weaning, possibly, this month taking the meds one day, skipping the next and so on.

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes.

I try not to be a misanthrope in today’s world. :grimacing:

1 Like