Foot Drop Recovery

This is just an update on my foot drop recovery, chronicling my progress as it were. Which is also why I’ve added a link to a previous post of mine on the same subject, now that the brain is getting itself more organised.
Not as much of the :face_with_spiral_eyes: or :crazy_face: or :yawning_face: or even :sleeping: anymore :rofl: It really does take some doing to pull yourself back together after a stroke doesn’t it?! And I’m one of the ones who got off lightly :open_mouth:

There’s certainly more to this recovery malarkey than meets the eye :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Particularly when I think of the number of times I thought my foot drop was recovered :persevere: Now I’m thinking it merely made some reconnections but there were and still are more connections to be made before its back to “normal”, so that is still a work in progress.

Just 4 days ago I made another connection in my foot whilst doing leg curls at the gym. I felt an almighty click in the sole of my foot and now my foot doesn’t roll over anymore (it called Supination).

That evening and for a day or two after, I felt what was like a thorn in the sole of my foot but seems to have gone. Also had a lot more muscle twinges and fluttering’s in the calf muscle but that seems to have calmed down bit. So now my foot feels more relaxed, the big toe doesn’t constantly want to curl up out of my shoes, particularly whilst working the peddles driving.

In fact the whole of the foot now stays perfectly flat on the floor when its supposed to, without the heel rising up when its not meant to. The small toes don’t try to curl under foot either. I can even splay out all the toes, which I haven’t been able to do since before the stroke. Makes it much easier to get my toe socks on too :blush:

I’ve been concentrating a lot more these past few months on Ankle Dorsiflexion exercises, calf stretching and strengthening and basically strengthening the whole back of the leg.

The other thing I did was get myself a few pairs of Supination insoles, as you can see in the pic, they are raised along the outside edge of the foot preventing the foot from rolling out the way and risking an ankle sprain, break or fall, further improving my balance and walking. Unfortunately they only come in pairs for left and right foot. I only need the right so I just turned the lefts upside down and that worked nicely. I’ve been wearing these in all my shoes/trainers/slippers for about 3 months now. Took a little getting used to but worth the perseverance to stay steady and upright.

I did get insoles that only raised the outside edge of the heel to about half way down the foot. I found them useless and the little toe end really needed to be raised too.

In conclusion, despite still working at it, my stroke leg is doing good. I can walk reasonably well, I can even jog with it, albeit mainly in the gym as part of my circuit training class :sweat_smile: I find it can still drop a little around bedtime, decompensation. And that is even easier now that I don’t have the foot rolling issue anymore. But I will continue on for another 3-6 months with the insoles just to make sure those that those signalling’s are set in for sure :grin:

1 Like

Sounds like you’re making great improvements with your foot drop. I shall look up those insoles & see if they might help my foot drop. I am having some nerve conduction tests done soon as they are seeing if it is something else causing my walking issues.

I changed my car to an automatic so i don’t have any issues with the peddles :grin:

Fingers crossed your foot drop has left the building for good. :grin::grin:

1 Like

I found the insoles reduced the foot roll enormously. And its a bit of a novelty find myself walking more normally now, though

I’m having a tendency to slap the front half of my foot down as I walk. I guess it’ll just take a bit of getting used to after so long😄
I’ve certainly noticed the difference in strength & balance class today😁
Onwards and upwards😄

2 Likes